1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vintage Custom Steering Wheel, Turn Signal and Emergency ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-Jun-02 AT 02:18 PM (EST)]I have a older custom steering wheel with turn signal and emergency flasher switches on my 54 F100. I say vintage because it must have been installed 20 years ago. See the photo here.

[https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=5266&.jpg]

Please see my gallery for another pic of the complete set up incl. the steering wheel (was chrome, but now is black).

Have you seen this before ? I wonder if someone would have a wiring diagram. I could add the color coding of that bundle of wires to this message if that would help.

I wish I had the original steering wheel. However, I will now live with what I have.

Thanx !!! ... and HI from Germany.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kai,

I don't recognize the unit in the photo. If you can't find anyone else with the wiring information I'd be glad to help you off-line. I do electrical and electronic engineering as part of my job and can work through the logic with you via e-mail. It may take a few e-mails back-and-forth but it's usually not a huge deal. E-mail me at ghartman@woh.rr.com if you can't get the information you need any easier way.

George

Old 06-03-2002, 09:13 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Kai,
That switch assembly looks really close to what I remember seeing in my '79 column. I have to pull the wheel soon to straighten it out (replaced the rag joint, and now the wheel is crooked). I'll compare my switch to what you have in your picture, just for the sake of at least finding out where it came from.

Old 06-04-2002, 03:06 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello George and Kenny,

... thanx for the feedback.

George, I'll wait for a moment or two and see if someone comes up with the 'ultimate' answer. I'll also dig out the rest of my harness and see how that stuff might have been attached to the flasher relay and so on. I guess the main trick is to have the turn signal and the emergency flasher work without disturbing each other.

I was also wondering if that (oversized) nutshell into which that stuff mounts so neat is the original one and the previous owner drilled a couple of holes to attach the unit I have. It really fits nicely, the previous owner, however, must have had one of these rare drills which make egg shape holes (LOL). I always wonder why people can do things right. However, when I got the truck the trans cross member was attached to the frame using two G-cramps. Nice !

Thanx again !!!

Old 06-04-2002, 06:31 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts