Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can barely hear my chime..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I can barely hear my chime..

For either my turn signals or my headlight on reminder. What do I need to do to fix this? My ears are just fine!

Vince

Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
whiteyfordzx5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, the turn signal noise is dependent upon the flasher. if you want noisier, change out the flasher. they make ones that actually chime when you turn, as opposed to justthe normal 'click'. personally, i can't stand those things, though. when i bought mine, the previous owner had one in. the drive home was 500 miles, and i had to stop 50 miles in at the local parts store to swap it out because it was driving me nuts!

don't know about the headlight reminder, though.

Mike

Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
SilverSport
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My signals don't make any noise ... haven't heard anything out of the headlights either, but don't drive it much at night.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Mountianeer
Freshman User
My 96' doesn't have a headlight reminder either. I can't tell you how many times I have had to jump start the battary because I left my lights on. Just something I have learned to live with.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 PM
whiteyfordzx5
Senior User
actually, now that i think of it, my 89 has no reminder for the headlights either

Mike

Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Mine might be special! I really did hear it though. I even tested it to be sure. When I opened the door it was chiming. Turned off the headlights and it stopped.

Vince

Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
These trucks DO have chimes, but Fords are notorious for having door chimes that malfunction. I had a 94 that would chime sometimes even when the headlights were not on, and sometimes would fail to chime if they WERE on. I ended up just unplugging the chime and tossing it. My brother had the same problem with his 97 f250 (older body style).

I dont recall precisely where the chime unit is, but I remember it is under the dash on the drivers side. Its a small black box (maybe 1.5 cubic inches) and it just plugs right into a harness under there. I remember mine being zip-tied to a metal bracket to keep it in place.

Either remove it and throw it into the neighbors yard, or check your auto parts store for a new one. I have also heard you can use the chimes from towncars and that they work better but I have never tried it so I'm not sure.

Also, the turn signal flasher module is in the fuse panel inside the truck and is a small metal cylinder that plugs right up into the fuse panel. To remove it i believe you have to give it a small twist and then a pull. These can be purchased at an auto parts store for very cheap.

Hope that helps!

-Chris

Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
SilverSport
Elder User
Being from southern LA where at this time of rebuilding about 1/3 of the vehicles on the road are trucks, most from outta town ... I am surprised this many truck drivers even know where the turn signal stick is located, you guys must be car drivers too, like me, sure wish more of you were here instead of these trucks that didn't come with signals.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Please tell me you're not complaining about it it not working haha. Every Ford I own has had the chime module disconnected. When you've got the radio on and need the door open, or when you're working inside the truck.... the "bbuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and the "ding..... ding...... ding...... ding" is enough to make we want to shoot someone. So they've all been unplugged.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Yea I had a brain fart, I know the flasher relay/timer is seperate. The chime thing is great if you forget your headlights.. I do keep a generator and a battery charger in the truck!

Thanks for all the help.

Vince

Old 11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Autospirit
New User
I've owned a '94 for 4 years and never knew it was supposed to have a chime. I would actually like this feature. Since I drained my battery a year ago I have been obsessive compulsive about making sure my lights are off when I park.

Ah well, I'll look into it. Is it the door switch that usualy fails...or the actual chime unit?

Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 AM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Smile chime away

Originally Posted by Skandocious
These trucks DO have chimes, but Fords are notorious for having door chimes that malfunction. I had a 94 that would chime sometimes even when the headlights were not on, and sometimes would fail to chime if they WERE on. I ended up just unplugging the chime and tossing it. My brother had the same problem with his 97 f250 (older body style).

I dont recall precisely where the chime unit is, but I remember it is under the dash on the drivers side. Its a small black box (maybe 1.5 cubic inches) and it just plugs right into a harness under there. I remember mine being zip-tied to a metal bracket to keep it in place.

Either remove it and throw it into the neighbors yard, or check your auto parts store for a new one. I have also heard you can use the chimes from towncars and that they work better but I have never tried it so I'm not sure.

Also, the turn signal flasher module is in the fuse panel inside the truck and is a small metal cylinder that plugs right up into the fuse panel. To remove it i believe you have to give it a small twist and then a pull. These can be purchased at an auto parts store for very cheap.

Hope that helps!

-Chris
Sorry I didn't replay about chime My computer crashed . The chime was from a 93 lincon but don't know which one. And I just pluged it in .

As for this descusion the turn signals part there are lots of options . (My cousin has one that plays Love me tender.)Get one you think you like .

And for the headlight reminder as described above. The truck I just bought is the only old truck that it wasn't yanked out or broke.(15 +) And of the several new 88-97 company trucks over the years (20 or so )I removed them all. I have 3-4 on shelf now. only reason use now is have kids that like to pull switch on . Easiest way to locate chime box (above gas peddel to right on hump) is find a truck that works and lookat where its at.
Good luck

Old 11-22-2006, 12:55 AM
kjg26
Elder User
my headlight reminder/key in ignition with door open chime works but it is EXTREMELY faint. i'd like to fix this as well. where exactly is the chime? thanks

keith

Old 11-22-2006, 07:26 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Look under the dash. Normally right over top of the transmission, at the bottom part of the dash. It's a 3 inch by 3 inch by 1 inch thick(give or take a little) box with a decent sized trapazoid lookin plug that goes into it. They did a good job hiding it to be honest. Just leave the door open and feel around for vibrations from the dinger.

For those of you who are blessed like me and have an XL trim style truck, you probably have the incredibly annoying BUUZZZZZZ whenever you open your door with the key still in. Good news for us, it's easier to find a buzzing box than a box that lets out a beautiful single tone melody.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone by the way.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Cool! I will find it and fix it!

Vince

Quick Reply: I can barely hear my chime..