Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:53 PM
BadAss01F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights

our street flooded the otherday and my foglights are filled with water. i know this may be a stupid question but how do i get the lens off to get the water out?

Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Crash1040
Junior User
I had the same problem crossing a river at the beach. My hot bulbs blew from the water. I don't believe the front lenses come off. You have to access the bulbs from the back kinda like a headlight. Twist and remove if I understand correctly. Good luck getting to them though. A shroud and cooler is blocking them from underneath and my license plate was in the way preventing me from accessing them from the front.

unlucky for me some jerk pulled a hit and run and side swiped the driver side of my truck while I was honeymooning in Maui. I got a new bumper out of the deal and the body shop replaced the fog lights when they had the bumper off.

If you find out how to get to them I'd love to know. One of my fog lights dried out but the other still has a little moisture in it and I'm now afraid to use them cause I don't want to have to change another bulb

Old 11-16-2006, 09:28 AM
John311t
Postmaster
You can pull the bulb out from the back. I belive it is 3 torx screws. Then you can drain the water out then you a hairdryer to get all the moisture out.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Crash1040
Junior User
any advice on getting back there to access those torx screws?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:33 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up The bulb simply twists out

Reach in behind the bulb and gently twist it counterclockwise. Twist the connector sticking down toward the passenger side and it only turns less than a quarter of a turn and it comes straight back. I have a foglight that the mount was broken in an accident and I still havent figured out how to take the clear lens off, even with it in my hands. I don't want to break my spare housing. I also got some intel from the folks at Britebox about replacing the stock bulb with the higher wattage 9007 I believe...The stock is 35 watts and the 9007 is 65 watts, so the heat is doubling....they may be brighter but the heat will kill the assembly. To change the assembly, you gotta take off the bumper and if I remember correctly, part of the AC system to get access to the mount bolts....just my .02 worth....Dave

Old 11-16-2006, 03:15 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just pull the bumper, its not hard to do or heavy. There is 4 bolts by the tow hooks, and then two more (one on each side) that is in the fenderwell to secure the height. Measure the distance from the top of the bumper to the bottom of the fender below the light, and then loosen the bolts. The bumper will actually hang on something and not fall if you keep it secure with your knees. Then simply pull the bumper forward a few inches, and unplug the fog lights. It's actually really easy to do.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
I've taken mine out through the front, after taking off the license plate. Never again!! I'll pull the bumper next time.