Rust Encapsulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 AM
fordpick-up
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rust Encapsulator

Just wondering if anyone here has ever used this product before from Eastwoods? I have tried it and it seems to be working alright. But that was only a few months ago. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck with it or not.
Thanks

Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
I am using Rust Encapsulator on my restoration projects, but like you I have not used it long enough to know whether it will stand up to test of time. It seems to be working well enough, but all the stuff that I've used it on has not even left my garage yet. I should test it by painting a piece of metal and place it outside in the elements to see how it holds up to the damp conditions of Upstate NY where I live.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 AM
EastwoodCompany
Former Vendor
Here is an article that Auto Restorer did on Rust Encapsulator. They compared it to another well known rust product.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
fordpick-up
Senior User
Thanks for the response.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Well after reading that article I am glad I did not use POR-15!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:27 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
that leave it outside to test, sounds like a good idea. Think I'll apply it to my mailbox post where the roadsalt, snow, etc... can give it a thorough beating. I read the Auto Restorer write-up, and I was sold on it.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:13 AM
fordpick-up
Senior User
Move my truck cab outside because of too many other projects going in the garage where I applied the rust encapsulator to the whole inside and underside of the truck. I guess I will find out first hand if it works or not.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
The only I would do with the frame is clean it up good and put a good paint on it. The best paint I have used is Rustolium Industrial. Shoot it through your spray gun. I friend of mine told me 15 years ago when I under coated my truck I made a mistake. He was right. Over the years water got between it and the frame. My frame rusted bad. The coating was still there but the frame was bad. I work with snow and ice equipment now for a living and I have seen people try alot of things on oil pans and frames. Good paint and water hose every now and then works the best. I am in the middle of a truck rebiuld now. My truck got totaled so I am rebuilding another one. I didn't realize how bad my frame was. It looked fine. Another thing that is over looked which I have learned is that look close at your frame. Example. The shock mounts can rust away on your 80's frames. They hold water. drill a hole in them so it will drain. The same with the rear spring hangers. Any place on your frame that will hold water. Make a drain spot. I found a great frame, not a spot of rust no where. The reason is this truck leaked alot at the trans and engine. Fortunatly for me the guy never cleaned his frame off. Under all the mud was a nice oil slick. In 15 years you will probably wish you didn't under coat it. Good paint and a water hose. Later

Old 11-19-2006, 01:04 AM
fordpick-up
Senior User
Originally Posted by catfish101
The only I would do with the frame is clean it up good and put a good paint on it. The best paint I have used is Rustolium Industrial. Shoot it through your spray gun. I friend of mine told me 15 years ago when I under coated my truck I made a mistake. He was right. Over the years water got between it and the frame. My frame rusted bad. The coating was still there but the frame was bad. I work with snow and ice equipment now for a living and I have seen people try alot of things on oil pans and frames. Good paint and water hose every now and then works the best. I am in the middle of a truck rebiuld now. My truck got totaled so I am rebuilding another one. I didn't realize how bad my frame was. It looked fine. Another thing that is over looked which I have learned is that look close at your frame. Example. The shock mounts can rust away on your 80's frames. They hold water. drill a hole in them so it will drain. The same with the rear spring hangers. Any place on your frame that will hold water. Make a drain spot. I found a great frame, not a spot of rust no where. The reason is this truck leaked alot at the trans and engine. Fortunatly for me the guy never cleaned his frame off. Under all the mud was a nice oil slick. In 15 years you will probably wish you didn't under coat it. Good paint and a water hose. Later

Hey Catfish you are right but we are not talking about undercoating. This is a paint far better than rustoleum industrial. This paint is supposed to be superior to por-15. This paint was designed for areas like frames etc.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used Eastwoods Chassis Black/Corroless rust primer on mine 6 years ago, and I am really pleased with it. It attached to the rust a lot better than it adheres to smooth metal. Be sure and ruff up any smooth metal with some 80 grit paper or wire brush/wheel so the primer will have some "tooth" to bite to. ...

As with any paint products, clean and clean the metal before applying any painting product. I did not adhere to the instructions well and was too tired to scuff all of my primer (corroless, now called encapsulator) back then ,before applying the final black finish. Now I have small flecks of the finish paint coming off in sharp contours or high impact areas. I just scuff the primer and repaint it with the chassis black. good luck

Old 11-19-2006, 03:33 PM
fordpick-up
Senior User
Hey Greg, that's what I was waiting to hear, just how durable it is. I've only used it once but that was this year and was wondering just how long this product will hold up. Thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
check out my gallery, ive got pics of it before and after on my frame. im in no way a body man, but i just sandblasted the loose stuff off my frame, and brushed one coat on,,,,a year later it still looks good

Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 AM
fordpick-up
Senior User
Bob that frame looks like a new one. Great job.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
carras
Tuned
Bob, I agree the frame looks good. Did you spray or brush on? I'm getting ready to apply Eastwood's rust encapsulator. then their black topcoaton my frame and was wondering which would be best.
Fordpick-up, I hope you don't mind me hijacking (sort of) your thread with my question. FYI, my gallery shows some of the prep I've done

Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM
fordpick-up
Senior User
[QUOTE=carras]Bob, I agree the frame looks good. Did you spray or brush on? I'm getting ready to apply Eastwood's rust encapsulator. then their black topcoaton my frame and was wondering which would be best.
Fordpick-up, I hope you don't mind me hijacking (sort of) your thread with my question. FYI, my gallery shows some of the prep I've done[/
QUOTE]

Not at all just looking for all the people who have used this and how good it worked for them.

Quick Reply: Rust Encapsulator