Remote starter recommendations? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Remote starter recommendations?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Remote starter recommendations?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
I'll vote for Astro-Start too.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Netfly
Elder User
Netfly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Netfly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As far as the factory alarms go, my salesman (Jeff) asked me to please buy an aftermarket unit as they had so many problems with the factory ones, they didn't even want to sell me one. Glad he was so honest.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:52 PM
f250meangreen
Senior User
f250meangreen is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you set the delay on the Astrostart? I went to their website and downloaded a user manual. I did not see that procedure.

Jayme

Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 PM
jello
Senior User
jello is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by f250meangreen
How do you set the delay on the Astrostart? I went to their website and downloaded a user manual. I did not see that procedure.

Jayme
As soon as you set the programming for diesel it looks for signal on the wait to start wire. If no signal it automatically starts after 15 seconds.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
will the astrostart or the viper work with factory installed keyless entry

Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by wb6anp
will the astrostart or the viper work with factory installed keyless entry
No. They'll be 2 completely seperate systems. Your RKE and any door keypad you may have, will still function, but using them will set off the security system. The new security system will take over the functions of the RKE.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM
04ExLtd
Freshman User
04ExLtd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Just had Astro start installed on my 06 today.Work great. Model #4204a

Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 PM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
Just wondering because my dealer had an aftermarket alarm installed before I bought it (they do this to all of their vehicles) and the one that was installed works with the rke. The rke will disarm the alarm also if I lock my doors manually it will arm the alarm. I don't know what brand the company puts in I do know that the part I can see has audiovox on it. I no its not a code alarm.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 AM
f250meangreen
Senior User
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
No. They'll be 2 completely seperate systems. Your RKE and any door keypad you may have, will still function, but using them will set off the security system. The new security system will take over the functions of the RKE.
What do you do about the keypad if it will set off the alarm? How do you prevent the alarm from going off. I like my keypad and would like to continue using it.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:41 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by wb6anp
I do know that the part I can see has audiovox on it. I no its not a code alarm.
Code Alarm=Audiovox
Audiovox bought Code Alarm some years back.

What do you do about the keypad if it will set off the alarm? How do you prevent the alarm from going off. I like my keypad and would like to continue using it.
The only way I'm aware of to integrate the keypad into a new system is to buy a compatible Ford or Audiovox/Code Alarm system. Unfortunately, the keypad is just a hard mounted wireless transmitter, so it'll only work with the same manufacturer's equipment.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 AM
f250meangreen
Senior User
Now if I get just a remote start system and not an alarm I should be able to use my keypad, right????

Old 11-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Netfly
Elder User
Netfly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Netfly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On the Viper there is no disable input. So the RKE unlocks and sets off the alarm and you have a few seconds to turn the ignition on and hit the valet switch to override it before the siren starts. If you can access the RKE wire I suppose you could use a couple of relays and diodes to simulate the ignition on and press of the valet switch.

Last edited by Netfly; 11-06-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
jello
Senior User
jello is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now if I get just a remote start system and not an alarm I should be able to use my keypad, right????
yes..........

Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM
MLCRI$I$ II
Senior User
MLCRI$I$ II is starting off with a positive reputation.
AstroStart or CompuStar? Opinions please?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Pickupman2004
Senior User
Pickupman2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put in my $.02......I have an aftermarket viper alarm.....has the two way communicator and the auto start. Currently, the remote (which is about $100 to replace or so I was told when I got the system installed) is not talking well with the truck...doesn't always want to turn the alarm off....not sure exactly what the problem is, but this has turned out to be the least of my worries.

My truck has been broken into twice in the last year. The first time, the alarm worked great......the siren went off, the two way communicator alerted me, and I got out there in time to fine one guy in the truck and two in a car next to the truck......almost got myself stabbed with a screw driver (had a hole in my shirt and a cut on my side). In the 30 seconds they were in the truck (with the siren going off) they managed to get $60.00 and my aftermarket CD player.

The second breakin, they did in broad daylight and what I thought was a busy area....with security people around. They yanked the relay wires for the alarm out of the dash to kill the siren...they then took a number of items to many to list.

So, if I had to do it all over again with alarms and what not, if the basic factory alarm worked somewhat well, had the remote start and even worked with the keypad, I would just get it. Since the factory alarm normally uses the horn for a siren, I would also add massive air horns....that way, maybe it would scare the person breaking in, wake up the neighborhood (and myself) and/or draw more attention then the usual car alarm (that always seems to be going off). Another positive thing about the factory alarm is that if it goes out on you during your standard warranty period, it is covered. It is also one less thing you have to do after purchasing the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote starter recommendations?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.