Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Remote starter recommendations? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/542759-remote-starter-recommendations.html)

Cam_Man595 11-02-2006 11:28 AM

Remote starter recommendations?

I would like to add remote start to my 6.0 Diesel F250 and I need some recommendations from you all. I want remote start capabilities mainly but if there is a security add-on that is not too much more I would be interested in that also. If there are extra bells and whistles that I should know about please let me know. Thanks.

mjlevi 11-02-2006 04:32 PM

I have an Ultrastart remote starter system...it even has a turbo cool-down feature on it...with an l.e.d lighted antenna as a visual only security feature when you lock your doors by the remote...and can be used up to 1750 feet away capability......

Netfly 11-02-2006 04:49 PM

I went with the DEI Viper 791XV ...Lots of bells and whistles.
directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

IB Tim 11-02-2006 07:03 PM

IMO combine it with a great alarm system....

Brutus232 11-02-2006 07:04 PM

Just curious, do these remote starters have some sort of delay for the glow plugs?

tvsjr 11-02-2006 09:24 PM

DEI Viper 791XV here. Great remote start with alarm, two-way remote, all the goodies. If you're into installing it yourself, I bought mine from HookedOnTronics.com for $160 or so.

Brutus - some do. A diesel-approved remote start will have a wire that you hook to the wait-to-start indicator. When the light drops, the unit will fire the starter.

ChaunW 11-02-2006 09:25 PM

I went with the Viper 791XV. Works great... lots of options including cool down and glow plug timer for diesels just to name a few options. I highly recommend it.

wb6anp 11-03-2006 12:12 AM

The 6.0's don't have a waith to sttart wire to the light it is all computer logic. on a pc board. Atleast I haven't been able to find the wire and the manual say it is logic.

gross30 11-03-2006 12:25 AM

I put in an Astro 2WA remote start w/wait to start for 6.0 psd, full alarm system with it etc. Lots of bells and whistles also. There are quite a few models that wont work with the 6.0 psd because there is no wire. I found out the hard way when they tried to install my old remote starter/alarm set up from the f-150. No go. I paid $400.00 cad for the full install w/alarm etc. It seems to work great, so far-so good, and you have to like the exhaust and fan turning on the remote screen when the truck is running !!!! ha-ha. Call me crazy but I like those little perks....dg

tvsjr 11-03-2006 12:28 AM

ANP - Correct. With the later 6.0s and the Vipers, you use a 528T timer. Simply set the timer to a value long enough to let the glow plugs drop (set based on ambient temperature).

mhoefer 11-03-2006 05:23 PM

Astrostart is the way to go. IMO It doesnt need the trip wire, you set a delay with ignitition. they have various models with alarm, extra button for electric tailgate release if you have a cover, two way page and more.....

EnviroCon 11-03-2006 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mhoefer
Astrostart is the way to go. . .

AstroStart (Astroflex) is now owned by Directed Electronics. So, Viper, Clifford, AstroStart, they're all good systems. :)

I use a Viper 791xv and it's been a good, reliable system for a couple of years now.

jello 11-03-2006 07:34 PM

Astrostart..........

Don't forget to hook up the high idle and heated seats to it.:-X22

Fomoko1 11-04-2006 12:20 AM

Does Ford offer factory starters and are they any good?

EnviroCon 11-04-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Does Ford offer factory starters and are they any good?

Yes, Ford does offer RS & security systems. They're rebranded Code-Alarm/Audiovox systems. They're pretty good, basic systems, but they're not plug-n-play. They still have to be hardwired into your truck. And none of them offer the 2-way paging that others do and they don't have a lot of the "bells & whistles" add-ons. Window roll-up, additional starter kills, GPS tracking, etc. But they do work with the Ford remote keyless entry, so it works well with the factory door keypad. All in all though, they're not bad.