Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dual Hpop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Hpop?

Which setup pumps the most oil, bts, swamps, terminator, stealth or stacked? What are the main differences and prices. Is the stacked better than stealth or vice versa? Do i just want which ever one pumps more? I will be getting a bts tranny in the spring so if they have the best setup i can get that at the same time. Thanks

Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I personally am going for the BTS pump, as it is one on top of the other. That for me, means more room in the Vee for a second turbo. I thought previously that you had to remove the fuel filter bowl to be able to run BTS pumps, however Dockboy still has his stock filter bowl. Jtharvey has BTS pumps and he removed his, and i've removed mine in plans for that. I do not think there is a difference between the manufacturers, because they all use two pumps that put out the same pressure, just twice the flow. I do know that the pump that BTS uses is a 530 pump spinning in reverse rotation to the stock one, that would sit above it. I believe the Stealth and Terminator systems both use two stock pumps, in the same direction, as they are in-line. I do not think there is a performance benefit from one over the other. it's just your personal preference, and which you like better.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 816 Likes on 623 Posts
I would avoid a gear type pump, don't know who makes them.
They don't make good pressure at low rpm and I've read that it makes for a very difficult time of starting the engine if it's fully warmed up and then shut off for a minute.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:30 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I would avoid a gear type pump, don't know who makes them.
They don't make good pressure at low rpm and I've read that it makes for a very difficult time of starting the engine if it's fully warmed up and then shut off for a minute.
A gear type pump? Sorry, but huh? The dual pumps are two stock axial-piston variable displacement pumps running together.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
PowerStrokeMe
Senior User
I've heard rumors of a High Perf Single HPOP being tested/manufactured by a company....cannot remember the name of it though. I will do some searching. But BTS hands down.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me put it to you like this: I searched long and hard before I made my decision on what pumps to buy. I looked at factors like performance, reliability, accesability, etc... As you can see, I ended up with the BTS pumps.

Some of the biggest names in Powerstroke performance run BTS pumps (Dockboy, Bunting, Cale @ BTS, Zane at WOP, Jody Tipton), so you know they can make the power. I have yet to hear of a failure, and I spoke to people who have installed all of the pumps and he said the BTS is by far the easiest to work on and install.

I'd say they can both flow enough oil to satisfy nearly any injector out there. But, there are a few other design differences that make the difference. Like for instance, one IPR on the Terminator & Stealth pumps, versus 2 on the BTS pumps. Some guys with one IPR have reported hesitating when they come off a full throttle run, more so in stock tuning. I have never had that happen on my truck. It just idles down like a sewing machine.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeMe
I've heard rumors of a High Perf Single HPOP being tested/manufactured by a company....cannot remember the name of it though. I will do some searching
www.dieselsite.com The Pulse HPOP

Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 AM
ponch37300
Elder User
Thanks for the repleys. I guess bts it is then. Does anyone know what you all get when they do a dual hpop setup? Do you get two new hpops and the adaptor or do they use your old one and just add a new one? If they just add a new one do they rebuild your old one or aren't they rebuildable? I read somewhere about these things loosing some of there strength like any other part so would hate to get one new hpop and have the old one not putting out what it should. Thanks

Old 11-01-2006, 08:21 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
With the BTS pump, you for sure get the additional resivior, necessary plumbing, gaskets, and one additional pump - the 530 pump. Your stock one is not rebuilt or replaced, just reused. I wouldn't worry about it though. Even if the stock one was losing some pressure, the additional pump will more than make up for it. For example, with my stock pump I could throw the 1211 code on my 80 hp setting - stock HPOP was getting weak. But, with the new pumps, I can run in any setting and my HPOP setup never has to run at more than about 40% of it's capability - no 1211 codes.

I have a webshots gallery of my BTS pump setup. Look in the my pics link in my signature to go to my webshots photos.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
Originally Posted by jtharvey
With the BTS pump, you for sure get the additional resivior, necessary plumbing, gaskets, and one additional pump - the 530 pump. Your stock one is not rebuilt or replaced, just reused. I wouldn't worry about it though. Even if the stock one was losing some pressure, the additional pump will more than make up for it. For example, with my stock pump I could throw the 1211 code on my 80 hp setting - stock HPOP was getting weak. But, with the new pumps, I can run in any setting and my HPOP setup never has to run at more than about 40% of it's capability - no 1211 codes.

I have a webshots gallery of my BTS pump setup. Look in the my pics link in my signature to go to my webshots photos.
did you need custom tuning on your chip or will dp tuners standard tunes work with these pumps?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
You'll want to get your chip re-burned with Big Oil tunes. But, Jody has experience with tuning for Big Oil, I know for sure a lot of BTS and Terminator tuning, so he can reburn your chip for you with no problems using what he already knows. But with Jody, you don't need to have "live tuning" done to work with the big oil setups. So the standard single HPOP tunes you have now won't work, but Jody has some big oil tunes that will work well.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Lance_I
Senior User
Anybody know the price on the BTS dual hpop? I can't find anything on his site.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:11 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Dont quote for sure but I want to say 2600

Old 11-01-2006, 02:22 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Giving BTS a call would be your best bet. But, around $2600 is a good estimate, give or take a couple hundred.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
stealth is only 2k, dont know about you but id rather save 500-600 bucks and spend it else where. Ive got one sitting here, now to find time for install . I will be running 2 IPR's with mine.

luke