Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Have a 87 BII want to fix it up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
superrman77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a 87 BII want to fix it up

I picked up a 87 BII 4x4 about 2 years ago for 400.00.The bronco runs and drives it just has the notorious valve tick.Anyway I think it was used for plowing.There is rust on the vehicle.I want to fix this bronco up but I have a few questions.This thing has over 200,000 on it.Trans seems fine.Will climb a tree.Got a engine for it at a junkyard.Where it was used to plow snow is it worth fixing up or am I better off buying one that was not used for plowing.I love these things they will go anywhere.I want to put a paintjob on it an use it as a work/hunting vehicle.
Thanks

Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
funinthemud
New User
go for it. the only real problem you get from snow plows is bent frames or crossmembers. but if you r using it as a hunting truck who cares. they are cheap to lift and like you said go anywere. i have 7" of lift and 35's the lift totalled about $550. as for the ticking motor if it doesn't smoke put new lifters, cam, and timing chain in it an it will run like a champ again.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
superrman77
Freshman User
it smokes but just every now and then.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:45 AM
funinthemud
New User
well try the spare motor. if it smokes a little it wouldn't be a problem as long as it is not your daily driver. but the more you drive it the worse it will get and the more damage it will start causing. it could be something as little as valve seals or it could be as big as bad rings and/or cylinder wall or a crack somewere. the 2.9's are pretty easy to pull. drop the other on in and if it is no good either then rebuild one while you have the other one in.
thats my 2 pennies...
good luck

Last edited by funinthemud; 10-31-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome To FTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent you a Personal Message about service manuals.
AL.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
I got one to and it has the nifarious lifter clatter coming and going but it's getting better the more I drive it. She sat up for quite a while befor I got it. My previous one had a smoking problem primarily when it sat idling or puttering at low speeds. Drive it like I did (Like I Stole It)and no more visable smoke but knew she needed valve seals. I loved the manuverability and used it a lot on the job as I could walk it in and out of places the other guys couldn't and doing field service on generators it was a god send.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 PM
superrman77
Freshman User
Well this engine for sure has some major problems.I cant get it over 35 mph.I cant even get the tires to spin.But soon as I put it in 4-lo it will climb anything.I have had a blast playin around with it.I think it is down a cylinder or two for sure.
Thanks for all the replies this forum is awesome.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
fix it up then beat it up.