Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Next mod, plus chip question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next mod, plus chip question

Well, i am debating on getting traction bars next, or a DP tuner/ BTS VB. Traction bars (fabtech) are about $650, or a DP 9 position chip for $594.95, and a BTS valve body.

One question i have for anyone who has an answer would be calibrating my speedometer. i have 37" tires, and my speedo is off 7mph going 40mph indicated, according to my calculator. The dealer is giving me no answers about calibrating the speedo, and i don't want to buy a TruSpeed for $200, when i could have had it done in the chip.

I haven't been getting any unwanted police attention about height, and I still have my 305/70r16 tires and stock Lariat rims to sell. A father of one of my close friends wants them, and i think i can get $600 for the set, 85-90% Nitto's. Also, i would have my stock chip to sell, which could almost get me a valve body.

What do you think?

Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man that's a tough call Kris. i forget - how is the rear lifted? Blocks or new springs?

Old 10-29-2006, 05:25 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
man that's a tough call Kris. i forget - how is the rear lifted? Blocks or new springs?
The rear is all blocks, and stock springs. That is the only reason why i am even debating on the chip or the bars. I have tons of axle wrap due to a total 7.5" of block, and i want to get it fixed, however i wish i had the money for Deaver 6" springs, and maybe 1" block to make up the difference. I will be going with traction bars anyway, so i might as well cure axle wrap before springs. It is to the point where i can look in my mirror when accelerating, and watch down the line of the bed/cab rail, and see the frame arc up when under acceleration, and flop back to normal when i let out of it.

But, i hate how my transmission acts, and i know that Jody can fix that, but even enjoying the new chip more often, i would put more stress on my rear springs.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:32 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O yea that's right... well then - I'd have to vote for bars of some kind then. I know it's less fun... BUT it would really REALLY suck to spit one of those blocks out and tear up the hole rear-end of your truck too!!

Or... bars AND DP chip with only a couple tunes "for now" - then send it back to him for the rest of your tunes and update for the BTS VB - when you have more $$$!! He can still fix up your shifting with the stock VB - he just can't get as fancy with the stock TC and VB.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
O yea that's right... well then - I'd have to vote for bars of some kind then. I know it's less fun... BUT it would really REALLY suck to spit one of those blocks out and tear up the hole rear-end of your truck too!!

Or... bars AND DP chip with only a couple tunes "for now" - then send it back to him for the rest of your tunes and update for the BTS VB - when you have more $$$!! He can still fix up your shifting with the stock VB - he just can't get as fancy with the stock TC and VB.
Well, i do have 7/8" thick u-bolts (stock is 5/8'') holding them in there. I also put he-man+6' pipe torque on them, as the universal torque on the 7/8 coarse bolt is 460+ lb-ft.

I do like the idea of a few tunes here and there, and then later on for the VB. It might only be a month waiting time, and i don't know if that will be worth all that trouble.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kris with 37's it is going to take some aftermarket device to calibrate, the revs per mile is to low for the dealers computer to accept in reprogramming.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:04 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, first off that truck of yours is one BAD AZZ Machine. I know everyone on here is jeolous. Here's what I would do.

1) BTS Valve Body
2) Fix axle wrap
3).DP Tuner chip.

Make sure you tell Brian that you have larger tires. He will calibrate the valve body and shift plate for the size of tires. Once you get the DP TUNER your truck will be a whole new animal.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:17 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Kris

It was nice meeting you in PA.

This may help you decide what to do when down the road. When you do the VB you willl need your chip redone at the time of doing the VB to match how the VB is set up.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Thanks Jrciii56.

Diane, can you recalibrate my speedometer to my tires in the chip? If you can, im going to do that and the VB now, because i don't want to have to rely on my little piece of paper taped to the visor all the time.

Diane you have a 05 with a 6.0 and torqueshift. Do you remember how it shifted when it was stock? I was driving my F-250 6.0 work truck today, and it was a blast to drive, simply by how it shifted compared to mine. Can you and Brian make my truck run (transmission) and shift like a stock 6.0 does? if so, i'd be really happy for that, that's what im aiming for.

Oh, and Diane, did you ever get the alarm to stop going off on Saturday?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:01 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Funny you mentioned that.......we actually found out Jody had a set of the truck keys in his pocket and well he kept hitting the panic button by accident while installing a chip.

He would recommend getting your speedo recalibrated. If you have a NGS or equivilant you can actually do it yourself or any dealer should be able to do it for you. If you ever plan on changing tires sizes around often he recommends the superlift truspeed.

I personally did not care for the stock shifting on my 6.0. (I'm Jody's biggest critic). The shift points were spead way too far apart for me and I got horrible fuel mileage. The truck now shifts almost like Jody has his PMT1 programming set up. Brian will most likely set your VB up like VDH/PMT 60 hp or something simuliar since you have a 2002. Jody will do the chip to match the VB. IMHO, you will like how it is set up over how the stock 6.0 ran. Your truck will feel totally different when you drive it.

Diane

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i just got a chip from jody. it is set for brians vb..i still havent goten my BTS VB after 3weeks of waiting. am i doing any harm to my trans right now with a stock vb?? thanks

Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kris here is the procedure but 601 is the lowest rev per mile that you can enter and 37's will be below that.

If you dealer's tech hasn't calibrated a speedometer on a SuperDuty before, he might spend an hour researching on how to do it before he actually does any work. After he has done a couple, then it's a 5-minute job – but most dealers will charge you one hour of labor to do the job.

If your service writer sounds like perhaps that dealership is not experienced in calibrating SuperDuty speedos, then copy and paste the following into a Wordpad or Word document, print it out, and give it to the service writer.

1) Ensure all harness connections are plugged in.

2) Using Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) scanner and Version 3.2 or higher Service Card, Plug into the DCL connector.
• [ADDED: Do not use a service card version later than early 2001 model year. This will not work if you try to use a service card dated after the 2002 models came out. ]
• [ADDED #2: Ignore the above "ADDED" if you use the newer NGS Plus. With the NGS Plus you can calibrate the speedo on any 7.3L or 6.0L PSD.]

[Added #3: Some techs now use the Ford Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS) to calibrate the speedo. I don't know anything about how they do it.]

3) Turn Key on w/Engine Off.

4) Select Service Bay Functions

5) Select ABS Module or 4WABS Module depending on application.

6) Select Tire Size/Axle Ratio Configure.

7) Enter tire manufacturer's specification of revs/mile (tire revolutions per mile) into the NGS as the REV.PER MILE figure.
• [ADDED: To have an even more accurate odometer, enter the following rev/mile:

For 285/75R16 tires enter 00636
For 295/75R16 tires enter 00626
For 315/75R16 tires enter 00601

Do not try to enter a number less than 00601 with the old NGS. With the newer NGS Plus or WDS, I don't know. ]

8) Select Tone Ring size and verify that 120 is programmed in.

9) Select <Option> and press TRIGGER.

10) Select <Vehicle> and press TRIGGER.

11) Press <Done> and the Module will be reprogrammed.

12) Check Speedo accuracy.

To determine your odometer’s accuracy (if you don't have that fancy newfangled GPS stuff) just find an interstate highway that has two mile markers 10 miles apart without being near an entry, exit, bridge, or overpass. When your front bumper passes one of these markers, push the odometer reset button to zero. Ten miles later, your odo should read exactly 10.0, which is 100 percent accuracy. Every tenth of a mile off from 10.0 is one percent error.

Some Ford dealers will refuse to calibrate the speedo. They say it can't be done - or that they're not allowed to do it. So in that case just refer them to the 2003 Ford gobbledegook version of the procedures at:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/...bb_pdf/206.pdf

Old 10-29-2006, 07:57 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
i just got a chip from jody. it is set for brians vb..i still havent goten my BTS VB after 3weeks of waiting. am i doing any harm to my trans right now with a stock vb?? thanks
Ron,

Make sure not to go over the 40 until it comes in.

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
Ron,

Make sure not to go over the 40 until it comes in.
ok but what happens?? i been 300 miles so far in the 80 playing.around. seemed to shift fine and temps never went over 125..but ill stay in 40 till i get it now thanks alot

Old 10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Wow thanks Amiller, that's alot of stuff you gave me there. I asked the guy yesteday when me and dad went in for some parts. He said there is a gear in the transmission that has a different number of teeth that you install. I told him i've heard about it and it's in the VSS in the rear diff and he was amazed that he couldn't BS me like he must have did to everyone else. He said it would take about an hour but i know he's lying. And that was just the parts guy.

The stock 31.5 tires are 640 revs per mile, 33's are 611 revs per mile, and the 355/60's i have now are 545 revs per mile.

So Diane i am guessing that you cannot recalibrate the speedo? If the chip will make that much of a difference, and if i wait to recalibrate my speedo after the change (taking into account that it will not make a difference) i will go ahead and get the chip VB now, and then the recalibrator.

Telling Brian i have 37's but yet not recalibrated my speed will not change what he does, correct? Basically what i'm asking is that when you program the chip, do you just recalibrate based on engine speed and gear the tranny is in, OR do you need to have an accurate speedometer to go off of?

Alan i dont think the dealer would even look at the paper i would print off of what you just gave me, they might just say they can't do it. I'm not going to be changing tire sizes, so i dont want to pay extra to have the convenience to change the speedo easily. Once it's set, it's staying there.
Thanks for input.