6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dusted engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dusted engine

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening. I've got an 04 F350 6.0 psd. I bought the truck off a dealer about 6 months ago with extended warranty. I took the truck in for a problem with rough idle and some smoke when cold. I found out that my engine has ingested lots of dirt and needs replacement. Dealer says no warranty since problem is dirt, and that would be an abuse issue. The truck sees mostly highway miles and the intake was tight. Now I'm going to battle with Ford over a new engine.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
i have heard of "dusting" which involved the turbo and usually the result of an aftermarket filter or poor maintenence of the stock filter.

and what exactly did they say was wrong with it that made them say you need a new engine? things you can look at was the filter ever comprimised? did it get dirty and clogged and the little gauage not indicate it?

someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,412 Likes on 2,103 Posts
You can dust the turbo blades with dirt or silicone particles from an aftermarket intake filter a previous owner may have used. I would make a deal mid stream with the selling dealer. To blame you on a problem that existed when you bought the truck is not right and negotiable. You will not be battling Ford over a used truck, I think the selling dealer (used) did not honestly know the problem existed but should work out a deal your both comfortable with.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:33 AM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
Certainly not what I would call a good after sales relationship. I don't understand what they mean by a dusted engine, maybe ask them exactly what failed in the engine.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
conger,

See if you can get and Oasis report to find out the history of that truck. Dealer may be trying to hide something that was a previously documented problem.

Hope this helps

Old 10-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Dsl_Burner
Senior User
Which dealership did you by it from? Can you get a look at the air intake tube to see if its dirty before the turbo? Maybe try another dealership.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:05 PM
conger
Posting Guru
The engine is completely stock. No aftermarket anything. The term "dusted" is what the service center from a different dealer called it. It's what they call a diesel engine that has ingested lots of dirt via the intake system through the turbo charger. In my case I brought to this other dealer because they did some previous work for me on this truck and have a good rep with diesels. I bought the truck from a different dealer, but their service is lousy. When I bought the truck I got an extended warranty. The truck only had 113,000 km on it and was show room clean. It didn't look like an abused truck. I fiqured if there was a problem, they wouldn't have offered extended warranty. So I don't think the selling dealer was if fact aware of this problem. But I also don't think they checked out this truck really well either. A simple diagnostic check on the engine revealed this mess. The servicing dealer found bad injectors, poor boost and after pulling the intake pipe found the dirt. After that, a crankcase pressure test showed a failing engine due to the dirt ingested. I've had trucks for years. I'm at a loss to know where this dust came from. I changed the air filter myself a few months ago, but the intake was tight. I know about getting those bottom tabs on the air filter housing to hook in, or you don't get a good seal. The only thing I can think of is a leak in the intake system somewhere. There's a TSB on the intake pipe between the housing and the MAF which refers to warpage and poor fit. Right now I'm gathering info and preparing for a fight. Ford customer relations said today that I've got no warranty claim. A new engine is 18K Canadian bucks.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Bought it from Healy, serviced at Waterloo.
Originally Posted by Dsl_Burner
Which dealership did you by it from? Can you get a look at the air intake tube to see if its dirty before the turbo? Maybe try another dealership.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Dsl_Burner
Senior User
I sure hope it isn't my old 04. It isn't silver is it? If it is you could could be in for a world of hurt. You might be further ahead to trade it in on another one if you can't get it resolved.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
conger,

Get the servicing dealer in Waterloo to print out an Oasis for you. This will show any past abnormailities by date and all repairs done.

Hope this helps

Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Not silver, red
Originally Posted by Dsl_Burner
I sure hope it isn't my old 04. It isn't silver is it? If it is you could could be in for a world of hurt. You might be further ahead to trade it in on another one if you can't get it resolved.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
big inch
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can run OASIS on it for you. All I need is the VIN.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
conger
Posting Guru
I'll be talking to the service manager at Waterloo next week. They've been good to me so far. They called me in when it was when the had everything taken apart back to the turbo and had me take pix of everything. I'm suppose to get the service file from Ford next week. I wanted them to put the warranty denile in writing. I'll check on Oasis. Thanks. By the way an inspection was done on this truck before I bought it and I have a copy.
Originally Posted by blackhat620
conger,

Get the servicing dealer in Waterloo to print out an Oasis for you. This will show any past abnormailities by date and all repairs done.

Hope this helps

Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Thanks, I'll talk to the dealer that worked on the truck first and see if they'll print it for me tomorrow. If not I may take you up on your offer.
Originally Posted by big inch
I can run OASIS on it for you. All I need is the VIN.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
i just got my 2006 ps back from ford for a oil leak, they check the turbo out also while it was in there, and they told me dusting was ocurring on the turbo impeller, they told me i had better get that k & n intake filter junk off and put the factory system back on to prevent further dusting damage, so i put the factory system back on today, i looked at the turbo impeller it did look dusted also the k & n intake tube had dust in it as well, it was letting alot of dirt pass thru., this truck has 30000 miles on it the k and n had been on there for 6 months........

Quick Reply: Dusted engine