2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light melt

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
jaym69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light melt

I have a 2006 F150 XLT Supercrew with 2,300 miles. I replaced my stock Fog light bulbs with Luminics H10 42w white bulbs shortly after purchase two months ago. My fog light lenses are melting. The factory bulbs were 40w, I can't believe the lenses is starting to melt. There is only 2w of difference and that should not be enough to cause problems right? There is no vent or hole for heat to escape from the light enclosure. I wonder if my dealer will cover under warrenty. Has anyone else heard of this?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
is300wrx
Posting Guru
put the stock bulb back in and go back to the dealership and play dumb

Old 10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
jaym69
Senior User
That is the plan, I already put the stock bulbs back in.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:57 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by is300wrx
put the stock bulb back in and go back to the dealership and play dumb
Originally Posted by jaym69
That is the plan, I already put the stock bulbs back in.
Great! Someone else that plays the system! You alter the stock configuration of the truck, something goes wrong, you take it back to stock and want the dealer/Ford to fix it.

Do you think Ford may have spec'ed the OEM type of bulb and wattage for a specific reason?

And people wonder why the dealer/Ford gives customers a hard time when they go in for warranty work.

Last edited by wildcard30; 10-15-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
jaym69
Senior User
I still planned on discussing with them how I changed the bulb. I changed it back to stock so that I don't damage it anymore. I am sure that they will wonder how it melted.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
You should call luminics up and ask them to replace the light housings...if they don't, then let it be known. If anyone should be responsible besides you, its them.

I've actually read of stock wattage Luminics burning up harnesses before, that should say something. Their quality control may not be as good as a major supplier like GE or the like. The may have been using higher wattage than what they stated. Maybe too long?

Do the Luminics have a coating on the tip of the bulb like the OE bulbs come with?

If you have to replace them out of pocket, I believe PIAA makes a light that fits pretty well in the hole. 510 series I believe? Not cheap, but probably not much, if any, more than a new set of OE housings.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildcard30
Great! Someone else that plays the system! You alter the stock configuration of the truck, something goes wrong, you take it back to stock and want the dealer/Ford to fix it.

Do you think Ford may have spec'ed the OEM type of bulb and wattage for a specific reason?

And people wonder why the dealer/Ford gives customers a hard time when they go in for warranty work.
I agree 100%. It is the same as adding a tuner or something to your truck. If something goes wrong: "You Pay to PLAY"

And that's what the thread starter did.

Just my opinion...

-Matt

Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 AM
jaym69
Senior User
Luminics don't have the coating on the tip. Does it make a differance.

Beast12 ----"It is the same as adding a tuner or something to your truck." Pay to play?

If you put premium gas in your truck and it quits running well I guess you payed to play because you did not use 87 octane. Or buy Valvoline oil instead of Motorcraft. I did not put a nitrousoxide kit in my truck to make it do 11k + RPMs! I changed a freaking light bulb.

Just my opinion...

Jason

Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Regarding "pay to play", I agree that Ford should not be responsible. It sure sounded like, from your 2nd post, that "that is the plan"...

While brand of oil doesn't matter, specs do. Even if you use the right weight oil, in a VW TDI for instance, if it isn't the right spec you can lose your warranty. You didn't play much, you won't have to pay much (relatively). A cheap lesson learned.

"Call Luminics Toll Free at: 877-272-6049 "

This is what I found when looking for the bulb.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/luminics-h10-pure-white.html

These do have the coating, from the picture anyway, so I am curious Did you have to modify the bulb in any way to get it to fit?

I have doubts it can truly be considered a 9145 bulb without the coating. It may even just be a modified 9005 bulb. And yes, I can see that coating making a difference, even discounting the small claimed wattage increase. You would have more UV (and total) light hitting the lens directly and heating it up. Convected heat should be about the same, radiated heat would increase quite a bit.

Last edited by tdister; 10-16-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
jaym69
Senior User
The plan is to switch back to stock to prevent more damage and to determine if the stock bulbs get to hot also. It is a sealed enclosure and it seems to hold in the heat. The stock bulbs seem to get hot also.

The Luminics bulbs fit in with no problem and look very similar to the stock bulbs. Do you really think Luminics will do anything for me?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
9005, 9145 and 9006 all look similar.

Radiated heat makes a big difference though, you can feel it coming off headlight right after the get turned on, before it should have a chance to convect heat. That little shield on the tip would cut it by a lot, as far as the lens goes.

Why don't you just turn the lights off? THAT would prevent more damage.

I don't know, spend 5 minutes and give them a call...maybe tell them someone on a large forum gave you the number to try. They might be a little more willing to help you out if they know that word will spread. Then again, they may be scared to help you as many more people might expect the same. Either way, you can help others by trying and posting your results.

They describe themselves as having "The #1 aftermarket bulb-period.", and have a "100% guarantee and warranty". See if those words hold any water.

Do they have either/both a DOT and/or an SAE stamp on them? I couldn't find anything saying they do for any of there bulbs. I did find topics suggesting they had neither. DOT is not so directly important as far as this issue. SAE is important. If they do claim to be or have an SAE stamp on them, see if you can send one to the SAE and have it tested, let them know your intentions if need be. If it has neither, well..."you play, you pay". Do some more research next time, live and learn.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Ford was already on the lookout for this case. It's been known to happen...

Last edited by tdister; 10-16-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Any update on your situation?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 AM
jaym69
Senior User
I have not tried to get it fixed yet. I have been working midnight shift and will be on afternoon shift in November. I will look into it soon.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 PM
fordfx4user
New User
Two things to look for,,, size of blub itself, if it is longer it will be closer to the lens and the coating of the blub itself will shield heat from the lens. the 5% increase to 42W shouldn't make the difference between melting or not.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:21 AM
jaym69
Senior User
Here is an update. Sorry it took so long. I was at the dealer for my highbeams not working but that was just burned out bulbs. Anyways the dealer said that changing the bulbs voids warranty and that they can't even test the system with other bulbs because the wattage and resistance may be different. I contacted the company that i purchased the Luminics bulbs from and they are replacing the headlight bulbs(due to burned out highs) for free and will replace the fog light bulbs also (but that does not help). I guess you have to watch the wattage of the bulbs. thanks for everyones input.

Quick Reply: Fog light melt