Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Turbo Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:32 PM
j250hd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Anyone?

I was wondering if anyone has a turbo hooked up to one of these? STS has a rear mount that could work just dont know how the v10 would react?

Old 10-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
No one that I know of has done a decent twin turbo mod yet...

My opinion in spite of the hype advertising is that a turbo some 11 to 17 feet away from the TB inlet is a giant waste of time and will have significant lag, very low boost.

Besides the exhaust temp and velocity way back there has already lost 80% of it's thermal and kinetic energy

Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 PM
j250hd
Senior User
I had a tacoma with the sts and really there isn't anymore lag than a normal turbo! Mine was a stick but i have rode in auto tacomas with the same setup. Really once the boost is up it never made a difference maybe a split second off the line! I snuck up on a lot of diesels and supercharged trucks with that thing and I would like to do a v10 with twins and it would be about the same price as a kenne supercharger. Just something different than every one else. But I would like to know if the engine could hold 12-15 lbs of boost?

Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
No one that I know of has done a decent twin turbo mod yet...

My opinion in spite of the hype advertising is that a turbo some 11 to 17 feet away from the TB inlet is a giant waste of time and will have significant lag, very low boost.

Besides the exhaust temp and velocity way back there has already lost 80% of it's thermal and kinetic energy
Fred, this is the first time I am going to have to disagree with you. The virtues of having the rear install turbo are many, and the problems you suggest just are not there. Additionally, the inatke temps are way down as it seems to negate the need for an intercooler. I've seen these systems operate and they are very efficient.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Pops_91710

I am an old dog with a LOT of exhaust and more specifically turbo experience so this falls into the "show me" category...

When the remote far away system first appeared I did a thorough search and found that almost all the applications were on highly modified car motors and the total plumbing lengths were (by my experiance...) very long, but not as far away as a SuperDuty truck would have to be.

Proof of course is in some body actually putting one on a 2v or 3v V10 in a truck and posting the before and after dyno results.... there is no doubt in my mind that you can make a little more power with a positively charged intake system but the percent gain vs the total modification cost is always first in my assessments of any power adder system....

But unlike most old dogs...I can be taught a new trick every now and then..

I admit I have not even seen one of these systems other then on the original designers web site and I could not get past their lies and hyper advertising claims of wild HP and torque gains...

With a well done system of two small turbos and inter-coolers directly applied right at the manifold and less then 4 feet total length into the throttle body, I was not able to make the amount of gain they were claiming with an distant single turbo one.

Another thing to ponder always in these comparisons is the amount of lost power in the base motor... or in other words the "starting" volumetric effeciency... if you started with a motor that is factory crippled and blue print it UP to it's potential HP and torque you can find a lot of new HP and torque... but if you start with a Chev 572 Rat built up crate motor that is already near 100% volumetric efficiency you will be hard pressed to find any gains no matter how much money your throw at it. The 3v V10 is about as efficient already is it can be for a 415 on regular fuel in a NA configuration.

Getting the 3v V10 into the 450+HP range is going to cost a small fortune...much easier to just swap in a monster crate motor and running gear IMO... hell the well designed belt driven blowers are only making 35 to 65 extra ponies... and from what I can tell at about a $5000 dollar cost when you factor in all the tinkering and other mods.

Stock valving in the NA 3v or 2v V10 is not optimized for a positive air intake process... there is no one out here who fully understands the logic and timing of the variable volume intake manifold of the 3v V10 motor...including me and I have searched my butt off for any Ford engineer data on the system and the computer control "gates" or logic for the timing of the open and close events.

Bolting on a far to the rear post turbo is already a crippled way to do it. And never ever try to convince me about no or little lag.... it is a real and measurable phenomena that plagues even the best optimized set up with the very expensive fast spin up impellers mounted directly to the manifolds and puffing right into the motor....I have had turbos on motorcycle motors (Kawa 900, Honda 750, S&S 102 CI V twin)) and there was noticeable lag...

There are racing techniques to over come the lag, but on a street machine they are not convenient easy to set up for except at a stop.

With a heavy load and down two gears already, trying to pass a long string of trucks is not the time to get the auto trans to drop down one more gear and top out your RPM at a time when you need speed of the higher gear... I predict the lag from the far away turbo would cause the 5R110 to behave badly... now on a 6 speed manual trany truck it would not be that big a problem...

Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pops_91710
Fred, this is the first time I am going to have to disagree with you. The virtues of having the rear install turbo are many, and the problems you suggest just are not there. Additionally, the inatke temps are way down as it seems to negate the need for an intercooler. I've seen these systems operate and they are very efficient.
STRONLY AGREE!! I MYSELF have not set up a turbo on any of MY vehicles. ALTHOUGH i was co-partner in a STS set up on a 96 F350 CC 460. from a "seat of the pants" view, the increase was AWSOME! i had driven this vehicle before and after the set-up. as for a dyno run, this gentleman left the Corps before it was dyno'd localy. am i saying it will work on a V10, NO!! so keep your snide comments , and trying to point out the technical information that i'm "lacking" down to a minimum thanks!

i'm a S/C person myself..........mainly due to the instant power, or at least power with VERY little lag. BUT there is something awsome about producing power from "waste" of an engine. and NO i'm not an expert on the flow, but i do know with different turbo configurations there can be a different in "lag", size of turbo, type of turbo, ect........maybe there is a "perfect turbo" out there for a V10 that will show crazy and ungodly results at the low end?

i have contacted STS (myself) and they refered me to a dealer/installer in TX(who woun't mention due to the very very rude personel). i contacted them to see if there was a chance i could "donate" me truck (with me there of course) for a STS style set up, and then do the advertising thing, promotions ect..... the responce i recieved was not heart warming, they told me there wasn't a "kit" made for a SD, and they woun't set one up on a V10, even for a test subject. STS returned with a writen apology and a discount slip(that obviously i havn't used yet) toward a "universal kit" for a set up fabrication. they were VERY courtious threw my questions and the set up on the 96. so as far as STS goes !

i would love to be the first.............maybe after i get anouther car so this truck ain't the "family truck" anymore! looking farwad to hear if anyone else has some good luck with these set-ups on a V10!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Kerr
Junior User
we put two of these turbos on.. for the money they are grate.

Both went on a Chevys.

The 98 Camaro Z28 went from 284 wheelhp to 405 wheel hp for about $3600 and 5.5 psi of boost.

The truck went for 200wheel 5.2 ltr 1500 crew, 325 but he was out of injector flow. that is at 4 psi.

There is a little lag but these are on auto's so you dont get the full feeling until it passes the stall anyway.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
I'm not real sure how the sts system works, but is it possible to put it closer to the engine, say under the cab area (seems like there would be room..) to minimize some of the extra piping? Seems like it could help some with the problems you mention, Fred.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Kerr
Junior User
You could pretty much put it any place you want.

The way it works is you take off the muffler and put the turbo back one. So i mean if one wanted to you could put it right behind the Y pipe or cats depending on how the stock exhaust works. On the camaro they go right infornt of the gas tank. there is no other place under the car becuase its so low. I know on the GMC truck we did it right behind the cab. So each vehicle is differnt.

I have only seen under a gas super duity once. and i dont remember what it looked like to see if there is room or not. One thing to consider is the heat a turbo makes. My supra will see 1800-1900* at the turbo when on a lot of boost which will heat up everthing when they are inside the engine compartment.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:43 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kerr
we put two of these turbos on.. for the money they are grate.

Both went on a Chevys.

The 98 Camaro Z28 went from 284 wheelhp to 405 wheel hp for about $3600 and 5.5 psi of boost.

The truck went for 200wheel 5.2 ltr 1500 crew, 325 but he was out of injector flow. that is at 4 psi.

There is a little lag but these are on auto's so you dont get the full feeling until it passes the stall anyway.
a comparable situation happend to a guys Lightening. he runs a dyno shop in NC, and put a STS set up on his ford lightening, and did the tuning as much as he could with out larger injectors. ran it at the track w/ the small ones (don't even have a clue as to the times, it's been about 1 year ago), and then got around to installing larger injectors, and reflashed everything, dyno'd it, tuned it, and he went "alittle" to far he said, and on the second run at the track poped a headgasket (a MLS one at that).

there's gotta be somone out there that has tried it on a V10............where ya at?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kerr
You could pretty much put it any place you want.

The way it works is you take off the muffler and put the turbo back one. So i mean if one wanted to you could put it right behind the Y pipe or cats depending on how the stock exhaust works. On the camaro they go right infornt of the gas tank. there is no other place under the car becuase its so low. I know on the GMC truck we did it right behind the cab. So each vehicle is differnt.

I have only seen under a gas super duity once. and i dont remember what it looked like to see if there is room or not. One thing to consider is the heat a turbo makes. My supra will see 1800-1900* at the turbo when on a lot of boost which will heat up everthing when they are inside the engine compartment.
do you remember if it was a V8 or a V10

Old 10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Kerr
Junior User
i have never seen a turbo or blower on a 3 valve v10.. and i have only seen under the hood of a v10 once.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
^^^^ OOPS!! my bad. i though you SAW one (turbo) on a SD. as for the temp issue, the STS systems are "remote mount", the bolt up to or in the apx location of the muffler.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM
knowitall
New User
A freind of a freind of mine was a dealer for STS. He hooked me up with a guy who was the guru of V10 turbos. He only did two. STS does not make a kit. One of the V10s he did made about 800 horse and he said off the chart tourqe. I saw another one he did. Very nice, the problem is that you have to do big injectors, big fuel pump and so on. The price list for mine was 10 Grand. And at that price it is still not safe to tow with. The EGTs get way out of control. But i bet that the stock Y pipe is more restriction than the turbo.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:21 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by knowitall
A freind of a freind of mine was a dealer for STS. He hooked me up with a guy who was the guru of V10 turbos. He only did two. STS does not make a kit. One of the V10s he did made about 800 horse and he said off the chart tourqe. I saw another one he did. Very nice, the problem is that you have to do big injectors, big fuel pump and so on. The price list for mine was 10 Grand. And at that price it is still not safe to tow with. The EGTs get way out of control. But i bet that the stock Y pipe is more restriction than the turbo.
DANG man! i'd love to have the set up, but for that it would almost be cheaper to get a (do i dare say it, hahaha) PSD! but i'd still love to have the set up!

Quick Reply: Turbo Anyone?