Turbo Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
boatworks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Know it all

Who is your buddy?

I want to turbo my Ex. but I really don't want to race it, I just want good torque so I can tow better. I would like to see 500lb at the rear. I figure 5-6psi with stock injectors would work for me , but I really don't know.

Help guys if you can.

Billy

Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 PM
knowitall
New User
I will see if i still have the guys number who put the turbos on the V10s. I would get the number from my buddy, but unfortanately he was killed about two months ago by a car that hit him while he was doing road work. Right now i am getting ready to install a hole new fuel system on my truck. As it is the motor leans out at high RPM and load. The fuel line and fuel rail are so small it cannot handle the fuel that is needed for proper fuel mixture in the engine, which will also cause the motor to ping.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 AM
captchas
Originally Posted by knowitall
Right now i am getting ready to install a hole new fuel system on my truck. As it is the motor leans out at high RPM and load. The fuel line and fuel rail are so small it cannot handle the fuel that is needed for proper fuel mixture in the engine, which will also cause the motor to ping.
are you sure you just don't have a o2 senser going bad but not causeing the lamp to come on yet. also a bad o2s telling the pcm to lean it out could cause it to ping.
before going though all that work i would look deeper into the true cause. o2s's?, fuel pump it self?. cloged fuel filter? some thing this motor hates and shows going bad and dirty. vac. leak? man thats a lot of work and what if that dosn't fix it? back to Square one?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 PM
myidsucks
Senior User
^^ Thats a good point, before I bought my truck I had an SRT-4 all modded out... the fuel system began having problem, I checked out o2 sensor and it was going bad and my fuel filter was gettting cloged... Check those items first-

Old 11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
captchas
i know when my 05's fuel filter is clogging up. "just like fredvon4 told us all," this motor looses power. infact we even know when the shop trucks is going the 5.4 has the very same problem.
we need to remember the system depends on pressure not so much like with older trucks and carbs, with electrics we now have to have a proper diag. it's a out most 1st item.

there was a vw in the shop today for a missfire problem that no one locally could fix. they even went as far as doing a valve job. when i reached under the intake and pulled a oil vapor rotted hose off the intake the mechanic asking for help had his jaw hit the floor. just a example of how important it is to first find the problem before jumping and replaceing the old ways. here a 10 buck preformed part fixed the problem.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:59 AM
SageMoonblade
New User
I can build a turbo kit for anyone who wants them..... for a price that is. Mainly what I would need is either someones truck to look at to get dimensions from or someone who will work close with me and atleast email me what I need. First few kits would have to be atleast half upfront do to the costs involved. they arnt cheap.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM
myidsucks
Senior User
Oh??? Where are you located? I could very well be interested-

Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 PM
SageMoonblade
New User
Grand Rapids Michigan

But like I said if I can atleast get the info I need I can work from a distance.
Between me and my buddy we have years of turbo exp.

Last edited by SageMoonblade; 12-15-2006 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM
myidsucks
Senior User
Sounds good, I was thinking the possibility of a remote turbo system, I got alot of experence with imports before my truck so it should be no problem.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM
SageMoonblade
New User
gonna run mid or back mounted turbos?

Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 PM
myidsucks
Senior User
Probably mid b/c it will be alot of work to have the piping running all the way to the intake manifold- What kind of turbo would you think??? I was gonna see if I could run a big turbo, like a 60 trim or a gt35r...

Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 PM
SageMoonblade
New User
it all depends on how much boost you want to run.... when i was looking at the maps i found the best setup that would be very effective would be a twin setup running T04b-62-1 turbos. With this setup your efficentcies with an intercooler would be 73% at 5psi and 76% at 12psi and 15psi. The GT35R would only give you about 66% if that... you would still want to run a twin otherwise the engine is just too much for a single turbo that small..... how ever heres somthings to think about. By my math if you have the 2 valve head your stock power should be about 310 hp with 5 psi that would jump to 405hp and at 15 psi you would be around 609 hp. If you have the 3 valve heads the stock power should be around 362 hp and at 5psi its 473 hp and at 15 psi it should be around 711 hp. Now being a math figure there will be a fudge factor you will odds are lose up to 10% of that.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 PM
SageMoonblade
New User
From math a GT55 would be the best bet for a single turbo setup that Garrett has to offer.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 PM
pronstar
Elder User
The Jan 2007 issue of Hot Rod magazine has a little write up of a twin-turbo setup on a stock V10 truck motor...only it's in a 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis body.

It ran 11.8 and put down 420RWHP.
Seems like it's pretty mildly tuned.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 PM
SageMoonblade
New User
I dont know much about these engines..... if the internals are cast they would have to keep the boost at around 7 or less.... however I know you can get forged pistons and rods for them and the crank is already forged so 15 to 20 psi of boost isnt really out of the question. My 3.0 dodge engine with twin turbos puts out 320hp factory stock.

Quick Reply: Turbo Anyone?