1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

O/D light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
martinjose
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/D light flashing

All,

My O/D light is flashing off and on. When it is flashin on and off, i push the od button but it stills flashes. After a couple of times of pushing, the OD light stays on.

The O/D is working when the light is flashing. 55 mph aobut 1600 rpm. When the O/D off, RPM move up to 2100 so that may prove that the O/D is working I think. NO slips in gear changes. Everything seems to be running smooth expect for the light flashing. Sometimes it stop but then starts flashing again.

What could be causing this?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Purdue Offroader
Senior User
This is commons its basically a check engine light for your tranny. Somethings wrong w/ it and its throwing a code (seems to me they should make it more obvious that thats whats going on). Go get your code read (some say Autozone's reader will read tranny codes and some say you have to go to a mech or dealer w/ an expensive scan tool). that should tell ya whats up....DON'T KEEP DRIVING IT.....it prolly means your tranny's about to take a crap

Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
You have a problem with your tranny. Gonna have to take it to a tranny shop or the dealer to findout what is wrong with it. Get the codes read and write them down while you are there. Do not be quick to jump when whomever you take it to says "you need a new tranny". You make it sound as if its driving fine, so i would be leary to get a new tranny. If you are unsure where to take it, try to get referals in your area for a good tranny shop or a dealer that does good tranny work.

Good luck.

And I do not believe Autozone can read the tranny codes.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:29 PM
cuervoman1
New User
i had the same problem with my 97 expedition with the e40d auto trans......the electronic sensors wer picking up on minor trans slip that wer throwing codes and making the od button flash.ford had and is still having problems with this transmission at around 70k-120k miles and so on.after looking at what it was going to cost me to rebuild this complex transmission,it was cheaper to buy a new ford trans that came with a three year 30k mile warranty!!!!!my wholesale cost at my local dealer was about $1,100.00 with a $ 1,000.00 deposit.labor was on me as i installed it myself!!has run perfect since and got my $1,000.00 deposit back once i took the old trans back!!!good luck with your situation!!

cuervoman1

Old 10-16-2006, 08:16 AM
martinjose
Freshman User
Thanks for all the information. Took the exped 2003 to the dealer to have the codes read. Code stated three sensors out. The front two sensors that help give the speed of the two front tires for the ABS and the sensor that T's those two sensors. The flashing O/D is due to this because computer cannot read the front tires rotation for the ABS. $300.00 to have this fix.

By the way, the O/D started a couple of days after getting slightly stuck in a dirt field. I had to rock the truck out of the stuck condition. this was done by moving from drive to reverse quickly. When I was doing this, the ABS and brake light came on. The service manager, stated that this could have damaged the sensors.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:50 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Martin,

That description doesn't make any sense since you said it was the O/D light flashing. If you had faulty ABS sensors, the ABS light should have been on, not the O/D.

I'd suspect you had BOTH the ABS light and a flashing O/D light and they only told you about the ABS codes.

What were the EXACT codes pulled?

Steve

Old 10-16-2006, 04:20 PM
martinjose
Freshman User
Steve

I didn't note down the codes. But the sensors involved the vehicle speed. These sensor feedback the tires speed which in turn have the computer adjust the O/D. The service manager stated that what is happen is that the front tires may be spinning at 60 but the speed on the meter is reading 57. This is causing the O/D light to flash.

I should have gotten the codes, but since the service manager is a very good friend of my brother in law and have gotten work done at this dealership before at a discount, I believe what he is telling me true. I questioned my brother in law who being working in the automobile industry for about 40 years and he agrees.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-26-2006, 02:03 PM
martinjose
Freshman User
Smile

all,

Just an update. Front speed sensors replaced by dealer and o/d light stopped flashing. $200.00 job. They replace four sensors.

In addition, I forgot to mention, when the O/D light flashing, my brake pedal felt a light, a soft touch to it when I applied. Now that it has been repaired, the brakes feel better, harder then before. So I guess the speed sensor where out and effecting the vehicle performance.

thanks