Sponsored by:

03 Excursion won't start...help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Belindagw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Excursion won't start...help?

I hope I am posting in the right forum...please forgive me if I am not. I have an 03 Excursion that won't start. It tries to but just will not turn on over. I have had it towed to two seperate dealers within the last three weeks but they can't seem to find the problem. I picked it up yesterday from the dealer who had it for 9 days only to have them tell me that it is starting now so they can't troubleshoot it. I went out this morning and it wouldn't start. Has anyone else had this problem that might give me some ideas as to what might be causing this? I apprediate any help as I have been stranded all day.

Thanks, Belinda

Old 10-12-2006, 06:58 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a diesel or gas engine. This is helpful to help you. Jim

Old 10-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Belindagw
New User
I am sorry, it is a 6.o diesel engine with 70,000 miles on it.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
I would check the battery connectors to insure they are clean tight and batteries fully charged.

Then I would make sure the fuel filter is clean and water seperator drained. Fuel in the tank of course.

If these didn't work, I would suspect the Crank Sensor. I have replaced this at least once on a Ford Diesel and they tend to fail frequently. When they fail it will not start. Jim

Old 10-12-2006, 07:25 PM
L8RG8R
Junior User
One time someone else here mentioned that if that while you're turning the engine over to start and your tach needle doesn't move, your Cam Position Sensor is most likely faulty. Give that a try. You're truck definately will NOT start with a bad CPS.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Belindagw
New User
I sure do appreciate your help...I have had the batteries tested and they checked out to be fine. I had the air, oil and fuel filters replaced last month when I got an oil change. My water in fuel light comes on regularly and has since I got it. We are forever draining water from that little bowl if that is what you are talking about. Now as for the Crank Sensor...can you tell me where this is located?
Thanks, Belinda

Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Belindagw
New User
The crazy thing about this is some days it will start and some days it won't. The first time I had it towed it sat here in the driveway for 2 days and wouldn't start and then when the dealer received it they said it started up right away. I get it back home and the next morning it won't start but started that afternoon so I took it to Wal-Mart and sat in the parking lot for an hour trying to start it to get back home and finally it started.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it happens to be a cam position sensor(s) going bad, it should be throwing codes for the Ford dealer to read. Ask the dealer if they checked the codes.

I just had 2 replaced on a Cadillac DTS a month ago, and every time the engine stalled it would indeed throw a code. With a Cadillac though, the owner can pull the codes up on the dashboard diagnsostic system easily (neat feature).

Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
L8RG8R
Junior User
I found the below info at: http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_import/pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/index3.html

CPSPROBLEM

This applies to all PowerStroke motors from late 1994 to 2002.

Diagnosis: A bad cam position sensor is usually signified by the PowerStroke motor abruptly and unexpectedly quitting. The motor may also be suffering from slight power loss and slight increase in fuel usage which is usually not noticeable until it is seen as an improvement when the sensor is replaced. When the CPS causes the motor to shut down, the tachometer will not register. If the motor fails to restart, the tachometer will not register when the starter is turning the motor over. This may or may not cause the check engine light to come on.

Part Numbers: The International parts are usually half the price of Ford's, and I wouldn't buy one from Ford unless you absolutely had to.

International part numbers:

A change occurred mid way through 1997, so if you have a 97 it is best to look at the engine serial number. For serial number before serial number 375549 use PN# 1821720C98. For serial number 375549 (including this number) and after use PN# 1825899C93.

Ford Part Numbers:

For 1996 and older use PN# F6T012K073A For 1997 and newer use PN# F7T012K073A

Remove/Replace: CPS replacement is a very simple process. It is located at the 10 o'clock position of the crankshaft pulley and secured with one 10 mm bolt. Removing the serpentine belt will facilitate the removal. Step 1) Make sure key is off and disconnect battery or pull #9 fuse. This is always a good idea when working on engine electronics.
Step 2) Remove engine belt
Step 3) Unplug wiring plug from sensor by prying out on the little plastic tab and pushing it out of it's socket
Step 4) Use 10 mm socket with small extension to remove 10 mm bolt
Step 5) Clean any dirt or grease off of sensor and surrounding area to prevent contamination of crankcase oil and seal of new sensor
Step 6) Use pliers, pry bar, or whatever else to gently remove sensor by pulling it straight out. It may be slightly stuck and slight force may be needed to loosen it. It is ok to twist it in its socket to loosen it if necessary.
Step 7) Coat new sensor o-ring with clean engine oil and press sensor into hole.
Step 8) Replace 10 mm bolt, torque to 10 ft-lbs, or just make sure it is snug.
Step 9) Replace wiring plug by simply pressing it into position until you hear the holding tab click into place.
Step 10) Replace belt.
Step 11) Ensure battery has been disconnected or #9 fuse has been out for at least 30 minutes. After this amount of time, they can be replaced.
Step 12) Start engine and inspect for leaks or other problems. Make sure belt has been properly aligned on each of the pulleys.

BTW, the "crank position sensor" and the "cam position sensor" are two different things. The above information is in reference to the CAM POSITION SENSOR.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 PM
L8RG8R
Junior User
oops, I just saw your's is an 03. Can anyone confirm that the 6.0L is the same/similar to the 7.3L as far as the CPS goes?

Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
You mentioned you always get water out of your fuel. CHANGE where you buy your fuel immediately. I never find water even when I drain it there is only diesel fuel. If you are getting that much water this is a problem also.

I still agree on the CPS being the cause of the no start. Especially since it would not start,, then started. I would have it replaced even if they tell you it is good. Then ask for the old part and keep it in the event it wasn't bad. My $.02 is on the CPS given all the "stuff" you have done already.

Good luck. Jim

Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Belindagw
New User
The service department says its not throwing any codes. I can't help but wonder if they really even checked it. I don't trust them at all. I know they didn't put it on the computer at the first dealer I had it towed to because they told me they didn't. I think that is because I didn't buy it there. The second time I had it towed to the dealer where I bought the car and they say it tisn't throwing any codes.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:34 PM
L8RG8R
Junior User
I would do the tach test as shown above to see where you stand. Does your tach move while the engine is being turned over?

Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Belindagw
New User
I went out to check that and the sucker started! It hasn't started all day and now that it is bed time she is ready to go. I'm sure I will get my opportunity to check it tomorrow or the next day. Thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Btravelen
Elder User
A leak in the high pressure oil system will cause trouble staring, if at all. Can you try another dealer? One with more 6.0L experience?

Quick Reply: 03 Excursion won't start...help?