1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 front suspension alternative

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 AM
wdsmithjr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 53 front suspension alternative

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse again.

I am thinking about putting a new front end on my 53. I have never done this nor know anyone personnally who has. So that being said I still want to look at it. I not sure I want to cut up my frame at this time and I recall seeing someone recently here (can't remember who it was) install a Jaguar front end that appeared to be bolt in with the some custom brackets that they fabricated. Look very nice and not quite as complacated as frame surgery, thought I saved a link to it but old age must be setting in cause I can't find it. Is this a good way to go for a first timer or would you recomend another direction. Yes I read the links in Earls sticky. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't done the Jaguar but I understand from guys on here that it a relatively easy conversion like the Volare. Neither of those suspensions require you to cut off your frame although you do have to notch it some for the Volare. Someone will be along shortly who has done the Jaguar suspension...

Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The many Mustang 11 front end kits out there are probably the easiest and in the long run most cost effective way to put an idependent front end into the 53. I have even seen bolt-in kits for these convesions that don't require welding. they all use your existing frame rails and really don't require much in the way of frame cutting or modifying. all the parts for the M11 front end (ball joints, tie rod ends, spindles, bearings, etc) are easy and cheap to find compared to a Jaguar front end. You get a lot of the modern benefits like rack and pinion, disc brakes ,etc with the M11 as you would get with a Jaguar front end at probably a lot cheaper price. You can alos just buy the front crossmember and go to the salvage yard for all the other parts (that is what i did., lots of M11 and pintos still out there to rob parts off of).

the only real major modification that you should do is to box the frame rails to stiffen them up. but this is also true of the Jaguar front end.

I would really look at the M11 kits out there if this is your first time, as all the kits are proven designs to fit and engineered to get all the correct geometry in one easy package.

my 2 cents

Rgds
Mike

Old 10-12-2006, 06:07 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Jaguar IFS has rack and pinion steering and much bigger brakes than the Mustang II. The entire front suspension unbolts from the Jag and then you just weld it into place under your frame. I would box the front of the frame. I can usually get a Jag for about $350. I have gotten them cheaper but seller was tripping over them at the time.
Look at the top of this page and click on the "Articles/Specs" button. There are several articles there that outline what is involved to convert your truck to IFS or even rebuild the straight axle.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:02 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I have installed an xj-6 jag IFS under my F-1. Check my Gallery. Other galleries to check out are:

rhopper
scrape
55 f-100paul

A great website to check out is a Brit, Holmsey-great guy!
www.uk-hotrod.co.uk/garage
The fitup of the jag xj is really simple under an F-1 and still very straight forward under the F-100. The F-1 frame is pinched in 2 inches narrower on the F-1 than the F-100. You should not pay more than $250. (I paid $75) I bought everything to 100% rebuild the front end for about $500. I probably went overboard. If you find one in better shape than mine was it will be cheaper.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

My Jag install took only a weekend to do, and my fabrication skills are probably average. I paid $200 for my front end, complete. Like Willard said, it's an easy install, and can be either bolted on, or welded. I still need to post pics of my shock mounts, but it's done except for rebuilding. Nice thing about this type of upgrade (jag, volare etc)is if you find a good donor, you can install it now, and freshen it up when you have the cash. Jalopyjournal has some info you can search, and jag-lovers dot org has lots of jag specific info. Look for the "lumps" forum. Btw, Bill, did I see your name on jag lovers the other night? I was searching threads about setting ride height. -Rusty.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:12 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rhopper
My Jag install took only a weekend to do, and my fabrication skills are probably average. I paid $200 for my front end, complete. Like Willard said, it's an easy install, and can be either bolted on, or welded. I still need to post pics of my shock mounts, but it's done except for rebuilding. Nice thing about this type of upgrade (jag, volare etc)is if you find a good donor, you can install it now, and freshen it up when you have the cash. Jalopyjournal has some info you can search, and jag-lovers dot org has lots of jag specific info. Look for the "lumps" forum. Btw, Bill, did I see your name on jag lovers the other night? I was searching threads about setting ride height. -Rusty.
Rusty,
I do not think that was me but in this high tech communications world it could have been.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 49willard
I have installed an xj-6 jag IFS under my F-1. Check my Gallery. Other galleries to check out are:

rhopper
scrape
55 f-100paul

A great website to check out is a Brit, Holmsey-great guy!
www.uk-hotrod.co.uk/garage
The fitup of the jag xj is really simple under an F-1 and still very straight forward under the F-100. The F-1 frame is pinched in 2 inches narrower on the F-1 than the F-100. You should not pay more than $250. (I paid $75) I bought everything to 100% rebuild the front end for about $500. I probably went overboard. If you find one in better shape than mine was it will be cheaper.
Website info incomplete above try:
http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/garage_s...e/page%201.htm

Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
IMHO I would not put in any MII conversion that used any salvage yard parts in the build. Any of the IFS conversions that call themselves MII type that I would consider worth using (Fatman, Heidts, Morrison, etc.) all use custom upper and lower tubular A arms, modified R&P steering that has bump steer corrected geometry and at least 11" brake disks and larger calipers.The only parts in common with what came off a Ford assembly line are the spindles (unless you order dropped spindles) and ball joints.
Of all the popular swaps, the Jag would be at the top of my list.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Ax, speaking of 11" brakes, the jag has 11" vented discs, with four piston calipers. When you compare the weight of the donor vehicles to our trucks, the jag actually weighs more than a F-1/F-100, so our application is lighter than what it was designed for.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Which means you can use the original springs, swaybar and shocks. The trackwidth is almost identical as well. And since Ford owns Jag you're not even adding "ferrin" parts!
It's as if the Jag suspension was designed for this application (and the bodies were designed to rot away so as to provide plenty of inexpensive donors). If you get an entire donor car, the rear IS is almost as easy a swap as well, plus you can get a set of outstanding seats and a lot of other little luxury dodads you can adapt.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
wdsmithjr
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. The more I read, I'm leaning toward the jag setup.

How do I go about finding what year/model jag to use? There's a guy locally that is running a ad for lots of jag and corvair parts/front ends, I just don't know what to look for. Will get on the jag site you listed next week to see what else I can find.

Ax, I like your idea of also doing the rear end.

I'm also looking at changing the motor to a modern V6. Any help/options along that front are welcome too. This truck will be built by me and my son and it'll become his 1st vehile so I want to make it modern and safe (ie not too fast, that's what mine will be for, lol).

Rhopper and 49willard, yours are the installs I was talking about. Thanks again all.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Wayne, you want a XJ6, series I, II, or III, up to 1987. Pretty sure of 1987, maybe 1986. That's the four door sedan.The XJS, two door, is the same chassis, and was used untill for a few more years, I'm thinking up to '90. After the series III, came the XJ40 version of the XJ6, which is similar but not what you want. I know that 86 Xj6's work, and 88 Xj6's don't, but i'm not sure on the 87. You don't want an XKE, the track width is too narrow, and they're too valuable anyway. The XJ6's tend to sit in back yards, under tarps with bad electrics and blown trannys untill the local cats make it their home and the owner is glad to get rid of it. Like Willard said, $250 is about tops. After I paid $200 from a local junk yard, I saw several in the paper at haul it off prices. Just make sure the subframe isn't rusted as the rest of the body is prone to rust. The rear suspension tends to be alittle more valuable, as hot rodders know what they are, but the front is like our little secret. Pm with any questions-Rusty

Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
I would recommend a series 2 or 3. As I remember the series 1 has solid front discs, slightly different spindles and I think different calipers. You want vented discs and 4 puck calipers. I believe that Series 1 and maybe series 2 had 3 puck calipers. I would narrow the search to those features which I think is later 70's up thru at least 86.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:16 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
With the Jag swap are rebuild parts expensive and how easy is it to lower. I know with the MII's you can buy drop spindles ect. and parts are readilly available and cheap.

Quick Reply: 53 front suspension alternative