Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping a Manual Transmission into an Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
claw302
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only problem with the auto is that its a sissy trans. also the manual gives you more control and more black smoke.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
My wifes 02 Ex has a hole in the floor and insulation for the manual transfer lever, as soon as warrenty is done, it will have one, hate the "switch" and maybe after about 150k when she is tired with it, I will do the auto to manual swap,,,,hmmm got me thinking now!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
csangster
Senior User
auto phobia

Originally Posted by geoaigel
If you *have* to do this, I suggest that you buy a cheap gasoline powered Expedition and a wrecked diesel powered stickshift F250 and swap it all over. Heck, you could even buy a non wrecked truck and just change them both over. I believe that it would be easier and cheaper to buy a complete donor vehicle instead of cobbling together parts.

I really think you should get over your auto phobia. I did. The auto on our PSD Excursion is just fine.

George
George,

I think you are spot-on with the donor vehicle swap. That is what I also determined to be the most cost effective way to perform the swap, have all the parts sitting right there on the parts vehicle.

With regards to my auto-phobia.....I'll never be over it, but I can deal with it on the 'family car'; my daily driver, muscle car and offroad rig have manuals so I think I can 'deal with it'

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris

Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
mvtriton
New User
Hi, new guy here on this site so bear with me. Have owned dsl ford pickups since they were introduced. All sticks but one auto C6. Bought a new 04 6.0 excursion w/auto and now have 40k miles on it. Cleaned up intake and exhaust for a 40-50 hp boost and then added the edge box with dash control. Did all this when brand new. After 15k easy miles Titus Will Ford in Tacoma replaced the vacumn control module for the xmission and some other items they felt they could bury in warantee. Within a couple days the box started shifting funny, missing shifts dropping out of gear and not holding when it upshifted. Several trips and bitches later they blacklisted me since it was chipped. Titus Will then told me that unless I would guarantee to pay for the tear down they wouldn't even take it apart to see what might be wrong.

Should add only towing I do is once a year up Elk hunting so the thing is just back and forth to work. As of today only have 40k on it.

So I fought with Ford to now avail and one day a brand new customer of my Marine business came in for some boat parts and asked if the Ford out front was mine and that it looked nice. Said yes and found that the customer was the service director for three dealerships. After telling my tale of woe I gave this person my vin number to check out. They got back to me the next day to tell me I had been black listed for having a chip installed. They also told me that Titus Will had installed more parts to pump the bill up than the computer records suggested be installed. Rip off 101

End run here is they agreed with me the box suffered from low oil pressure and even admitted that Explorers and Expeditions did too. So they took a shot and tore the box apart on the come. When dismantled it turned out there was an internal pump leak between some metal plate or part that kept the pump pressure from being high enough to lock up the clutches when it shifted.

So uncle Ford popped for a complete overhaul/rebuild to the tune of $4300. Since then I have been paranoid to even lean on it and have been chugging around in the stock mode. Even looked into a new twin turbo 6.4 Pickup until common sense intervened. So what I'm thinking is instead of spending big bucks for a new F350 crewcab why not pull the auto out of my Excursion and install a 6 spd? My gut feeling is I will need a manual transfer case, 6spd, bell housing and clutch gear, pickup computer (unless someone reprograms them), some mounts or crossmembers and perhaps a different length piece of drive line.

Hopefully someone out there has done this and can be a fountain of knowledge.

Tks

Bob in Gig Harbor WA

Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
csangster
Senior User
possible source of help

Give these guys a try,

I have not talked with them, but I know they have performed some auto to manual swaps in some super duty trucks. Excursions are likely no different.

www.fordcummins.com.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Old 02-21-2007, 03:42 PM
claw302
Senior User
for a excursion manual conversion the following will be needed: superduty computer, manual transfer case, 6spd trans (obviously), drive shaft from a crew cab shortbed 4x4 with a 6spd, crossmember from a superduty with a 6spd, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder,clutch slave cylinder. the floor pan will have to be modified too. the 6sp is a lot larger then the sissymatic. in 2002 ford ran the wire for the coolant temp sensor from the sensor, through the trans harness, then to the
computer. if that is still true, that will have to be rewired and a coolant pillar gauge will be needed. the check gauge light will stay lit... i painted over the check gauge light... the steering column will be needed out of a superduty too. you need the ignition lock with the manual to pass inspection in most states. that is everything that i can remember... GOOD LUCK

Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM
sandman1984
Freshman User
well my auto transmission in my 03 is not fine

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by sandman1984
well my auto transmission in my 03 is not fine
Huh??

You bumped a year and a half old thread back to the top just so you could comment on your tranny??

Dude....

Stewart

Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 PM
RSQ4x4
Junior User
Dam! Now you guys got me thinking about a 6 speed in my Excursion. I was getting all the info ready for swapping in a 5 speed behind my 460 in my 79 Bronco. Just because I love stick.
Oh the Wife is going to kill me when I start finding parts needed.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM
My02Xcursion
New User
2002 Ford Excursion w/Manual Transmission

Just completed the manual transmission swap in my Black 2002 Ford Excursion V10 6.8L and I love it!

I have been searching these posts and I know there is a lot, but I wanted to ask again if anyone has figured out the three problems that I have run into:

1. 4x4 HI does not engage
2. 4x4 LO does not engage
3. Cruise Control no longer works

I don't really care for the last two, but I do need 4x4 HI for winter driving.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Mark

Old 10-18-2013, 04:47 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by My02Xcursion
Just completed the manual transmission swap in my Black 2002 Ford Excursion V10 6.8L and I love it!

I have been searching these posts and I know there is a lot, but I wanted to ask again if anyone has figured out the three problems that I have run into:

1. 4x4 HI does not engage
2. 4x4 LO does not engage
3. Cruise Control no longer works

I don't really care for the last two, but I do need 4x4 HI for winter driving.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Mark
Any updates? I would love to do this swap when my 4R100 bites the dust. I absolutely love the ZX-6 in my 2002 F350, even if it is behind the little 5.4 V-8. It would be supreme to have the ZF-6 behind my S/C V-10 in the Ex!

Please let us all know if there are any updates!!

Garry in AK

Old 10-18-2013, 05:21 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Also a Video or a pictures would be nice too

Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM
My02Xcursion
New User
Originally Posted by garryk6
Any updates? I would love to do this swap when my 4R100 bites the dust. I absolutely love the ZX-6 in my 2002 F350, even if it is behind the little 5.4 V-8. It would be supreme to have the ZF-6 behind my S/C V-10 in the Ex!

Please let us all know if there are any updates!!

Garry in AK

The project is done. The cruise and 4x4 works just fine. 4x4 Lo is disabled, so I cannot tow my house. Unfortunately I could not use the ZF-6. I could not make it fit without major modifications. The ZF-5 just popped in there. I don't drive on the highway much so cruising around 65 is perfect. It would be nice to have that 6th gear, but what I have now is more than what I ever could have asked. I drive the King with a stick shift!!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:29 PM
AzSuperDuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by csangster
George,

I think you are spot-on with the donor vehicle swap. That is what I also determined to be the most cost effective way to perform the swap, have all the parts sitting right there on the parts vehicle.

With regards to my auto-phobia.....I'll never be over it, but I can deal with it on the 'family car'; my daily driver, muscle car and offroad rig have manuals so I think I can 'deal with it'

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris
I too am a manual guy... but... Autos tow better, they are faster at the drag strip... easier in heavy traffic... superior for offroad. Very little downside to an auto any more.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:11 AM
a11m1ghty
Senior User
Originally Posted by My02Xcursion
The project is done. The cruise and 4x4 works just fine. 4x4 Lo is disabled, so I cannot tow my house. Unfortunately I could not use the ZF-6. I could not make it fit without major modifications. The ZF-5 just popped in there. I don't drive on the highway much so cruising around 65 is perfect. It would be nice to have that 6th gear, but what I have now is more than what I ever could have asked. I drive the King with a stick shift!!
Any updates (pics, vids)? Yes, I did just revive this old thread. My Auto in my 01' 7.3 Excursion is dying..

Quick Reply: Swapping a Manual Transmission into an Excursion