Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping a Manual Transmission into an Excursion

Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM
csangster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping a Manual Transmission into an Excursion

I am looking for some help in compiling a List of Parts for swapping a manual transmission into an diesel Excursion.

To answer the question for those of you who are wondering why I would do such a hair-brained thing?

My search for the ideal vehicle has not been fruitful to any degree...I would like an F350 (or comparable with a stick) but the wife doesn't want a "truck"....and the only kind of vehicles I like to drive, are vehicles with a manual transmission...I would be lying if I didn't call it an obsession.....but that is just the way I am wired. So the wife likes the Excursions....and I like the manual trans.....so I figured since the Excursion and the F250 and F350 are built on the same basic frame/body the swap would be "easy".

Enough of that, my initial list looks something like this:

Transmission
Manual Trans Crossmember
Transfer Case (is it different between the auto and manual trucks?)
Clutch/Flywheel Assy
Pedal Assy
Slave Cyl/Master Cyl and plumbing
Dash Gauge cluster from a manual trans truck(without the Automatic Gear Select Display)
Steering Column from a manual trans truck
Shifter and Shifter boot
Wiring Harness for manual trans(?)
What else?

My "theory" is that all of the parts will be "bolt in".

Besides the fact that this would be a serious undertaking, what problems could I expect?

Please advise
Thank you,
Chris

Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 PM
sturzinator
Senior User
Old 10-08-2006, 10:26 PM
csangster
Senior User
Originally Posted by sturzinator
Thanks,

I sent him an e-mail...do you know if he performs manual transmission installs?

The swap you sent me was for an auto install, I am trying to install a manual trans.

Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't think you'll need a new guage cluster or steering column, that is if you don't mind lookin' at that stuff you don't need. The auto shifter should come right off.

I'm not 100% sure if the auto tranny is controlled via the engine PCM. (The torqshift has its own, not sure about the 4R100) If so, you may need a PCM from a standard truck.

What wires go to the ZF that would dictate the need for the wiring harness?

Don't think you need a new transfer case but probably need a new adapter for the tranny output. Don't know the difference in measurements between the two trannies but you may need new driveshafts. A quick parts list check online should tell you that.

Sounds like someone needs to crawl under a manual truck. Have fun!

Let us all know when you're done and make sure yu make step-by-step directions along with a parts list so that I can do it when you're done! I'd LOVE a 6-speed Excursion!!

What engine do you have?

Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 AM
csangster
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
I don't think you'll need a new guage cluster or steering column, that is if you don't mind lookin' at that stuff you don't need. The auto shifter should come right off.

I'm not 100% sure if the auto tranny is controlled via the engine PCM. (The torqshift has its own, not sure about the 4R100) If so, you may need a PCM from a standard truck.

What wires go to the ZF that would dictate the need for the wiring harness?

Don't think you need a new transfer case but probably need a new adapter for the tranny output. Don't know the difference in measurements between the two trannies but you may need new driveshafts. A quick parts list check online should tell you that.

Sounds like someone needs to crawl under a manual truck. Have fun!

Let us all know when you're done and make sure yu make step-by-step directions along with a parts list so that I can do it when you're done! I'd LOVE a 6-speed Excursion!!

What engine do you have?
I actually don't have an Excursion yet, I am just trying to get everything planned out to the smallest detail.

The plan is to get a 7.3L Diesel Excursion and then perform the swap......

I'll definitely take plenty of pictures.

As far as the wiring harness for the manual trans.....it was more a question than a comment.......

Thanks for the input.

Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
claw302
Senior User
my friend and i just finished a auto to manual conversion in my truck. i am very thankful for all of his help. the manual trans is taller then the auto. i had to cut the floor pan out and weld in a small hump. the shift tower still comes through about 3inches. thats okay cause the hurst rubber boot covers that up. all of the holes were already in the firewall for the pedal assembly. just had to remove the rubber plugs. the manual trans is shorter then the auto. i put in the driveshaft for the manual trans.manual trans came with a transfer case so i used that transfer case and my old 4wd drive shaft. had to run a jumper wire for the tempature sending unit to the pcm. temp sending unit wire runs through auto trans harness for some stupid reason. installed the pcm for a manual trans too. starters are different too. you need a manual trans starter. only problem that i have is the coolant temp guage does not work. sometime this week or next my friend is going to see if there is way to get that working. your check gauge light will stay on do to the auto trans temp gauge not being used. i put black touch up paint over the check gauge light. the steering column will be needed too. the manual column has a lock on it. you may need that for inspection.
--
the auto gear selector comes out of the cluster.there is a plain black plate that goes there. i got the plain black plate out of a manual trans cluster. so i dont know if you can jsut buy that plate. i advise getting a transfercase/transmission assembly and useing that. i had it easy cause my friends truck was a manual and he wanted a auto. so we had two trucks to swap stuff back and forth.
--
my friend did all of the technical crap so i am sorry not to be much help.

Last edited by claw302; 10-09-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
csangster
Senior User
Originally Posted by claw302
my friend and i just finished a auto to manual conversion in my truck. i am very thankful for all of his help. the manual trans is taller then the auto. i had to cut the floor pan out and weld in a small hump. the shift tower still comes through about 3inches. thats okay cause the hurst rubber boot covers that up. all of the holes were already in the firewall for the pedal assembly. just had to remove the rubber plugs. the manual trans is shorter then the auto. i put in the driveshaft for the manual trans.manual trans came with a transfer case so i used that transfer case and my old 4wd drive shaft. had to run a jumper wire for the tempature sending unit to the pcm. temp sending unit wire runs through auto trans harness for some stupid reason. installed the pcm for a manual trans too. starters are different too. you need a manual trans starter. only problem that i have is the coolant temp guage does not work. sometime this week or next my friend is going to see if there is way to get that working. your check gauge light will stay on do to the auto trans temp gauge not being used. i put black touch up paint over the check gauge light. the steering column will be needed too. the manual column has a lock on it. you may need that for inspection.
--
the auto gear selector comes out of the cluster.there is a plain black plate that goes there. i got the plain black plate out of a manual trans cluster. so i dont know if you can jsut buy that plate. i advise getting a transfercase/transmission assembly and useing that. i had it easy cause my friends truck was a manual and he wanted a auto. so we had two trucks to swap stuff back and forth.
--
my friend did all of the technical crap so i am sorry not to be much help.
This is GREAT information!

This helps get me started in knowing what will be needed.

Thank you,
Chris

If you have any pictures that would be helpful as well.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 PM
claw302
Senior User
i forgot two things. 4wd low and cruise control will no longer work. can not answer why. i dont care to use either so i dont care about them working.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
csangster
Senior User
i forgot two things. 4wd low and cruise control will no longer work. can not answer why. i dont care to use either so i dont care about them working.
I would have to figure out a solution for those two things. I use 4 Low quite a bit, and the wife won't do without cruise for our long road trips (neither would I to be honest).

If you think about it during your troubleshoot (and if you don't mind), maybe ask your friend what the solution may be. Or have him get in touch with me and I can pick his/her brain.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

i forgot two things. 4wd low and cruise control will no longer work. can not answer why.
Great write up! I didn't even think about the lock in the manaul truck's steering column.
~~~~~~~
I think the 4LO may not work because you probably, I'm guessing, have the electronic transfer case. The electronic transfer case needs to see that the tranny is in neutral (Hey csangster, there's one of the reason why a wiring harness would be needed! ) so that it will shift into 4LO. Guess that isn't happening.

Best swap would be to a ZF 6-speed and a manual transfer case. ALL LEVERS! Yum!

CC probably doesn't work because you need to have the circuit for the clutch to turn off CC. Maybe that isn't there or not hooked up. It may all go through the PCM and the wiring in the existing harness doesn't support it.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM
claw302
Senior User
the manual transfer case would be most ideal but all the parts except for the pcm were free.. i suggest a new pcm not a used one.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
csangster
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
Great write up! I didn't even think about the lock in the manaul truck's steering column.
~~~~~~~
I think the 4LO may not work because you probably, I'm guessing, have the electronic transfer case. The electronic transfer case needs to see that the tranny is in neutral (Hey csangster, there's one of the reason why a wiring harness would be needed! ) so that it will shift into 4LO. Guess that isn't happening.

Best swap would be to a ZF 6-speed and a manual transfer case. ALL LEVERS! Yum!

CC probably doesn't work because you need to have the circuit for the clutch to turn off CC. Maybe that isn't there or not hooked up. It may all go through the PCM and the wiring in the existing harness doesn't support it.
Are there any years of the Excursion that came with a lever operated transfer case?

What year of the F350 and F250 came with the lever operated transfer case?

Would it be wise to take a 2wd version of the Excursion and install a lever operated case? And then install a front axle? I know, this swap sounds like it is growing, but I figure I should ask the questions.

What would it take to swap in a front axle?

Please advise,
Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

It would be a lot easier to add the NP231 (manual) transfer case.

No Excursions ever had 'em but I bet the cut out is on the floor pan.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM
claw302
Senior User
2wd to 4wd conversion is way to expensive and not worth it. all years of superdutys come with a manual transfer case.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:27 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
If you *have* to do this, I suggest that you buy a cheap gasoline powered Expedition and a wrecked diesel powered stickshift F250 and swap it all over. Heck, you could even buy a non wrecked truck and just change them both over. I believe that it would be easier and cheaper to buy a complete donor vehicle instead of cobbling together parts.

I really think you should get over your auto phobia. I did. The auto on our PSD Excursion is just fine.

George

Last edited by geoaigel; 10-12-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping a Manual Transmission into an Excursion