Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Heading to Mexico, fuel help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:29 AM
IDPisan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading to Mexico, fuel help.

I am going to Mexico next month, and I am concerned about the fuel there. In my gasser I would add an octane boost and live with the crappy milage.
This will be the first trip with the PSD and I don't want to damage her.

Thanks Jeff

Old 10-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know nothing about Mexican fuel quality but would believe its kinda like their water.

At the least i would take a couple of extra fuel filters and a couple gallons of dieselkleen just to be safe.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 AM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i've been down to mexico in my truck and with friends who have PSD's and we have never had issues with fuel. I would bring some DK to mix in there, and would recomend to only buy your diesel from a station that you see other locals and truck drivers fueling up at, if your the only one at a station there might be a reason...

Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Jeff,
First, How far south are you going and what route are you taking?

I have travelled thru Mexico quite a lot and have never had any issues with their fuels. I burn gasoline, not diesel fuel. But you will find there are no name brands other than PEMEX which is the sole provider of petro fuels in Mexico owned by the Mexican government.

Most negative comments about Mexican fuels are either born out of ignorance or prejudice, or old stories from way back before nationalizing their oil industry.

Fuel up at the larger towns where the fuel turnover is greater. Try to use the larger stops where their big rigs go.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 PM
mexicodiesel
New User
Hello Jeff,
My family and I have lived in Mexico for almost five years now. My wife drives a 95' 6.5 turbo diesel Suburban and I drive a 2000 7.3 liter f350 4x4. We have never had any trouble with the diesel here. The price never goes up or down, after the exchange ratio it averages about $1.60 a gallon. There is only the Pemex brand. Buy your diesel at truck stops away from the large cities. If you have any other questions about Mexico, feel free to ask.

Ryan Maness
downinmexico@hotmail.com

Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE mexicodiesel!

IDPisan. Mexico doesn't have the EPA on their rear all the time like US petro companies do, so their fuel generally will be higher sulfer, which is good for your trucks power and economy. Still might want to carry a couple of extra fuel filters. Ignorance or not you may encounter fuel quality issues that you should be prepared for. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by cookie88; 10-08-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey great info Mexico. I have hear about the small mom and pop stores selling fuel that was old enouph to have bacteria in it. A gallon of biodiesel will kill it but you will have clogged filters if you have a problem at all. I love the 1.60 but the homemade bio is much easier on the wallet.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
mexicodiesel
New User
Hello Jeff,
It would have to be a desperate situation before I would buy fuel out of a barrel on the side of the road. You will only see them selling fuel like this if you really get off the beaten path-- like off the major highways up in the mountains or something. As for the Pemex stations, a good rule of thumb is the dirtier the filling area around the pumps the better. By the way, what part of Mexico are you going to?
Ryan Maness

Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 AM
IDPisan
Elder User
Thanks for the replies,

We will be about two thirds down the Baja in a town callled San Ignacio.
Have some friends on the the Laguna.
I will take some DK and extra filters.

THanks again for the info!
Jeff