1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 AM
tundraathome
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure

i have a 93 ranger with the3 3 liter engine. i recently had to put on a new pan and pulled the engine to do so. while out i checked the bearings and since they were getting down replaced the main and rod bearings and installed a new oil pump. when i put it back in i also tee,d a mechanical oil guage in. my question is when the engine is fully warmed up i have about 45 p.s.i. at 2000 r.p.m and about 20 at idle. the idle pressure seems low to me but since it only had the stock idiot guage before i have no idea what it was or should be ..any help is appreciated sam

Old 10-05-2006, 10:47 AM
tundraathome
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i should also mention that cold pressure at idle ,65 degrees, is about 55 p.s.i. it almost appears that my oil is thinning too much when fully warmed,but i put in 10-40 pensoilbut i relly don,t knoe sam

Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
The PSI numbers you've posted look normal to me.

Oil pressure will drop at idle, after the oil & engine have warmed up & this is normal.

The Ford oil pressure instrument (we laughingly refer to it as a "idiot gauge") because of the way they ended up wring it to read mid scale, if we have about 7 psi or more of oil pressure, so folks who were seeing a psi drop when the oil & engine were warm, would stop bothering the dealerships with complaints about low oil pressure!!!!!

I rigged my old 3.3L I6 Mercury with a electric oil pressure gauge & with 10W-30 I see the same numbes you do!!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE tundraathome. Im glad you chose the best site on the net for Ford-Trucks! See you around the boards!!

my ranger shows the same numbers you talk about. its normal

Matt