1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1998 EB EXPEDITION - sagging left front

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 AM
cr8zyjoker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 EB EXPEDITION - sagging left front

Hello all I am new to the forum..I have a 1998 EB Expedition....just bought it used...2 weeks after buying...tortion bar on drivers side broke getting on highway....had mechanic buddy replace the bar...after replacing tortion bar...realized..air strut was leaking oil ??.....so I replaced air strut...now the drivers front is sagging about 2 inches lower than passenger side...when I bought it compressor didnt run often..just enought to level..and now we find some leaks in the couplers....but prior to FRT DR air strut going...the whole truck leveled nice...now even the back drivers side is 2 " lower than passenger..what would cause the lowering in the rear also..compressor keeps turning on and off...it wont level out...or is it leveling ok but just too high on passenger side now ?? ...I read that after replacing air strut...some disconnect the battery ?? this was not done..nor was the LLS switch turned off during the replacment of the strut...now I have a CHECK SUSP light on today..the whell well on drivers side is APPROX. 5 inches above the 18" tires and rims that are on it...and the passnger side is about 7 1/2" inches above the tire...which side sounds closer to normal??...so our next step is to splice the area where the leak is at....if there are any suggestions that might help please let me know...I have heard everything from...height sensor needs adjusting..I heard about a GYROSCOPE on the fritz....I heard compressor not working properly..I heard of solenoids bad..I heard a million things but no real answers....but I know I love this truck..and want it to be level....please help......signed: UNEXPECTED LOWRIDING EB IN CLEVELAND OHIO

Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
DavidExp01
Freshman User
If after start up, the compressor kicks on & off until the "check susp" light comes on then it sounds like you have a leak. There is a black plastic inline connector for the air line that is prone to breaking. It is located near the brake resevoir on the driver side. There are some good detailed posts on this site about air suspension problems. Do a search or post a new reply of where you are at with this.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 AM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
Yes it's possible that line broke upon reinstallation.. or is leaking.

Also the front ride height sensor is on the left side.. maybe it got damaged or mis-adjusted during all of this.

You might have to let a dealer recalibrate the height sensors.. that should always be done after a torsion bar replacement/adjustment or replacement of air ride components. It may be all you need.

Yes you need a dealer computer/scan tool to perform this adjustment. After all you've been through with this suspension I don't think there's much else you can do on a self-repair basis. You might try spraying soapy water all over the air lines and the air springs and look for bubbles... like you would a leaking tire.

Good luck.