1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Snap-On Compressor Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 PM
krazz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snap-On Compressor Help

I've a chance to get a Snap-On compressor for $350, but I can't find the specs anywhere, and the guy whose selling it doesn't seem to know either.
The model # is BRA5140H, and it isn't listed on the Snap-On website. The guy did tell me that it's a 37.3 gal unit though. Do any of you fine folk have any insight on this thing....especially with the CFM specs? I want to run an assortment of air tools, maybe paint, and maybe sandblast.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The spec plate on the motor should give you the voltage and amp rating as well as the RPM. from that you can calculate the HP. I'm assuming it's a 220 V direct wire stationary rather than a 115V portable unit. No 115V compressor will be powerful enough to do the work you are looking to do. There may also be a displacement rating on the compressor. Again for the work you're looking to do you want a belt driven two cylinder preferably 2 stage compressor with crankcase oiling.
One caveat: does the compressor appear to be well cared for? Open the tank drain petcock and see if there is any water in the tank. An air storage tank that has been allowed to sit with moisture in it (rough visual condition can indicate poor care) can quickly develop internal rusting which can literally turn the tank into a ticking time bomb.
I'd recommend calling Snap-on's main office, they can likely tell you the compressor's age and specs, or at least who made it for them, and may even be able to provide an owner's manual. That's what I did when I needed more info on the MAC tools branded plasma cutter I bought on ebay. MAC gave me the original manufacturer's name, who in turn gave me all the specs and even sent me a manual for it.

PS I just Googled that model # compressor and came up with 2 listings for the same model on ebay one that bid to 305. which was less than the reserve and one relisted for opening bid of 799.00 The former looked in much better cared for than the latter. The ads claimed it to be a 5HP 220V unit. That should be large enough to handle all but the most air hoggish tools continuously.

Last edited by AXracer; 10-02-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:42 PM
krazz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'll try to contact Snap-On and see if they can help me out. From the pics the guy sent over, the unit seems to be in good shape, but I won't know without seeing it in person. Thanks for the help.