T/C switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
green 69
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T/C switch

Hi there, I just did the t/c switch mod over the weekend,
but theres a problem and Im not sure if its the wire size I used or the new switch I bought is just bad.
the torque convertor doesnt lock up when the switch is in the stock position, so after driving up to freeway speeds i have to lock the convertor manually. it wont lock by the pcm. could it be that I used too small of wire and it wont carry the amp load? its real small wire like phone wire.
any help?

Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
did you splice into the wire, leaving the original wire intact? You should have a wire spliced in on the downstream side of a diode.
If you have a switch spliced into the wire and nothing else, all you'll have is manual control.

edit: oh yeah, as I understand it's a pretty small load. wire size shouldn't affect it.

guzzle has a pretty good system here

guzzles site

that looks like this:

Last edited by kbeefy; 09-27-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:47 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want to tap into the wire as kbeefy says. You don't want to cut it and splice the switch in. All the wire does is ground. When the wire is grounded the T/C locks up.
Even though just a ground, you should use a decent gauge wire. Phone wire is only 24 ga. It is probably okay if it is stranded, but I will only use 16ga. and larger. Also never, ever use solid wire for a vehicle it fatigues too easy and will break before long.

Good luck,

Austin

Old 09-27-2006, 09:24 AM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also use a bigger wire and what was suggested, at least 16 gauge and stranded. Go over your wiring very closely. Make sure you are using the right wire. If you tapped or cut from the plug bundle on the fender wheel drivers side, it's easy to get the wrong wire. I sure had to hunt for mine. I used guzzels schematic and it works well. I also cut the wire so I could isolate the CPM when locking up the TQ. Just an extra precaution. It works very well and I also used a momentary switch in parallel for temporary short time use. I have a few pictures if you look at my gallery. The TQ lock sure helps out on tranny temps and helps out on fuel mileage a bit. What is really a kick in the pants is the power a locked TQ puts to the road. Neat stuff.

Last edited by RockyMtnRanger; 09-27-2006 at 09:28 AM.