By pass hose leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 PM
xpn150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By pass hose leak?

i have a 2000 4.2 V6 5spd with 104,000 miles. found coolant dripping this morning when i arrived at work. read on here all morning and come to terms that it was an intake manifold leak. called dealer and they said they would pressure test for free if i took it right over. they just called me back and said it was a bypass hose and the intake would need removed? labor would run $118 and they recommended a flush of the system for another $100. all in all it would be $218. if the intake needs to be removed, i can't see it only running $118? the flush is a good idea because the coolant is dark but i'm sure i can find a better deal. am i crazy for thinking about letting them do it since it seems like a good deal compared to the $400 - $500 i was figuring it costing me?? any replies would be appreciated, i told him i would call him back in a few.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:20 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you are going to do it yourself, I'd pay them and never give it another thought.
You MIGHT be able to shop around and save $50 or so. But you'll spend that much in time and hassle.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
xpn150
New User
long story short, i'm in a loaner car!

well, just went to pick up my truck. found after taking off by pass hose that there was a little aluminum pipe coming out the manifold that broke off. so, i'm in a rental for the night and they are going to have to remove the intake for sure and try to use an ez-out and put in a new tube?? or $$ suddenly it doesn't look like a good deal!! hopefully, they won't charge me too much more than the original quote! we'll see tomorrow i guess!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
HOPE THIS AIN'T TOO LATE:

You can bypass the entire coolant lop through the intake.
I did so on my 2000 F150 with never any ill effect.
Simply route the rubber hose right back into the return, effectively bypassing the coolant line through the aluminum intake.

Your call, but I'd not spend the money to fix it.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:04 PM
xpn150
New User
yes, unfortunately you were too late. they fixed it and it is now going to cost me $420. i would like to see the tube and exactly how it broke? could it have been broken by an inexperienced tech who didn't know it was there and pulled the hose off and broke it by accident or is this something that could have broken under normal operation? oh well, i guess there's nothing i can do but pay the bill.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:30 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Is it possible that the beak was due to human intervenvtion or human error?
Yes.
Can you prove it?
Not likely.

But, based on your initial post, it sounds like the leak was first noticed prior to anyone going to work under the hood.
Sad part is you didn't HAVE to have to have it fixed. But, that's all water under the bridge now.

$420 seems like a lot though.

When I had my work done:
upper and lower intake manifold removed and bad lower intake manifold gasket replaced.
Inside of intake bead blasted to remove carbon/crud build-up after 150,000 miles.
New thermostat installed.
Compression/leak down test of all cylinders.
All parts and misc shop items.

I believe my total was also $420.
That was at a local independant shop, not at a dealer.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM
xpn150
New User
thanks for your replies and sympathy!!

Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 AM
xpn150
New User
What luck is this?

i went yesterday to pay my outrageous bill and pick up my truck. after i paid and got key, i walked out to the truck and the theft alarm went off and wouldn't start. i asked if they gave me the wrong key and of course it was ok when they parked it. they gave me a loaner and said they would have a tech look at it first thing in the morning. are they liable to get it going for me or my i picking up the tab for this as well????

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
dogwonder
New User
Originally Posted by BrianA
HOPE THIS AIN'T TOO LATE:

You can bypass the entire coolant lop through the intake.
I did so on my 2000 F150 with never any ill effect.
Simply route the rubber hose right back into the return, effectively bypassing the coolant line through the aluminum intake.

Your call, but I'd not spend the money to fix it.
=========================

I have the same leak in 90 degree pipe going into intake manifold. My leak is at the very bottom where pipe flange meets metal of intake. I refuse to replace the manifold, etc and am blown away by the ridiculous design of this pressed in pipe. Anyway - what do you mean by routing the hose back into the return? If anyone can answer, please do. Just bought the '00 truck and this is the only problem (noticed after the sale, ofcourse).

Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
If we are talking about the same thing....

There is a small hose that feeds coolant into the manifold, and a small hose that returns coolant from the manifold.

Disconnect both of these hoses form the manifold and butt them together with a small diameter copper tube or similar nipple.
This will bypass the manifold, with the coolant only circulating out through the hose and back.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM
mrv8outboard
4wd High
I realize this is an old thread but I would like to update it as I just repaired a lower intake bypass pipe.

1st I first removed the old pipe and the piece left in the intake.

2nd Was to drill the hole with a 13/16" drill bit and chambered the leading edge with a 7/8" drill bit.(This was to make the lead in for the tap).

3rd Tap the hole with a 1/2" pipe tap. (I used 95% of the taps depth).

4th Assembled a 1 1/2"x1/2"NPT nipple into a 90* fitting and out of that with a 1/2"NPT x 3/4" barbed nipple.

5th Installed this assembly and the intake was fixed. (Now came the rest of the upper intake assembly).

I do have pictures but can not post them.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 AM
kcd1369
New User
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
I realize this is an old thread but I would like to update it as I just repaired a lower intake bypass pipe.

1st I first removed the old pipe and the piece left in the intake.

2nd Was to drill the hole with a 13/16" drill bit and chambered the leading edge with a 7/8" drill bit.(This was to make the lead in for the tap).

3rd Tap the hole with a 1/2" pipe tap. (I used 95% of the taps depth).

4th Assembled a 1 1/2"x1/2"NPT nipple into a 90* fitting and out of that with a 1/2"NPT x 3/4" barbed nipple.

5th Installed this assembly and the intake was fixed. (Now came the rest of the upper intake assembly).

I do have pictures but can not post them.
This sounds like something I would do. Can you PM the pictures or email them to me?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2014, 11:57 AM
mrv8outboard
4wd High
I can e-mail them if you give me an e-mail address. I just dug them out of the old computer.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 PM
kcd1369
New User
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
I can e-mail them if you give me an e-mail address. I just dug them out of the old computer.
Not sure how to send a private message, but i left my email on your profile.
Thanks.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM
mrv8outboard
4wd High
I sent you two e-mails. Let me know if I can help.

Quick Reply: By pass hose leak?