Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

3" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 PM
DNewton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3" exhaust

is te 3" exhaust on my 85 banks turbo to small, i would imagine that its causing a lot of back pressure, id like to upgrade to a 4 inch, what do you all think? Dustin

Old 09-20-2006, 12:17 AM
bl311
Senior User
From what I've researched, the 3" is fine (Standard setup from ATS as well). 4 inch would be better if you were starting from scratch. From what I gather, the jump from 3" to 4" would not make a huge difference in power but does change the sound quite a bit. I'm getting ready to do the 3" housing upgrade with a 4" exhaust. From the downpipe back, systems are running about $400 for a 4".

Have you modified your air intake yet?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 AM
DNewton
Senior User
not yet, its what banks has put on there, i plan on running an air duct thing in the front like a few others have done on here....

Old 09-20-2006, 01:59 AM
bl311
Senior User
I did the ram air a little while back as part of my air in/out improvements. I have to say that since I don't have my exhaust in yet, I was still able to notice a big difference in how the engine was sucking air in. It seemed to breath a lot easier. Just can't get the air out yet so I'm not realizing the full benefits just yet. Since you have the exhaust already, it will be probably make a noticeable difference and won't seem like it choking as much. I used a 4 inch tube from wood working vacuum systems. It cost $19 dollars for 10 ft. You could also do what Dave S. has done using steel HVAC ducting (see his gallery as I believe your vehicles are pretty similar). Big performance gains for less than 30 bucks, can't beat that.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 AM
DNewton
Senior User
yes, thats what i want to do, but i dont seem to have the room to do it, i wish i could see some pix of one inside the engine compartment, it just doesnt seem possible to me....

Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 AM
86 F-250 Diesel 4X4
Junior User
Originally Posted by bl311
I did the ram air a little while back.......I used a 4 inch tube from wood working vacuum systems. It cost $19 dollars for 10 ft. You could also do what Dave S. has done using steel HVAC ducting (see his gallery as I believe your vehicles are pretty similar). Big performance gains for less than 30 bucks, can't beat that.
Where did you run the tubing?? Did you cut the radiator bracket similiar to Dave S. or did you do something different?? What did you use as an air scoop?? I spent some time this weekend looking at how/where to route tubing/scoop and stopped because I did not want to do too much cutting.

Is there an advantage to improving the ram air intake and going to a 3" exhaust on a non-turbo 6.9?? Would I be wasting my time?? I'm interested in improving performance but don't plan to put a turbo on the motor.........thoughts??

Old 09-20-2006, 08:27 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't gotten the intake set up to a ram air yet, but at this time, the pancake section is not in use, and have a 4" pipe running to just behind the rad support. I intend on doing that, just haven't yet... but I did open up the exhaust, and it has made a difference in power, no qestion there.It had pretty good snap with the factory 2.5", but with 3.25-3.5 (mines a mix due to having it built from used pipe...) it really has some snap. Won't quite run down a gasser, but it will definitely get with the program either way. It will hold with the CUmmins at first, the Cummins was pretty doggy at first, had to make some adjustments to make it snappier too...

Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
bassproguy07
Elder User
anyone think of running two ram airs? Theres plenty of room on the passenger side of my truck, and i think if I cut a hole in my air cleaner housing, ran some tubing down to the front of the truck and made a smaller, but similar, setup like dave I could have Two ducts going into my intake instead of just one. Anyone think it would work? If so ill try it. I am going to try and work on the driver side ram air today, if time allows.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 PM
bl311
Senior User
I'll try to post some photos today. On the 94 it was pretty easy. The radiator bracket on the drivers side actually bolts on. I removed it and cut an opening for the duct. Bought a 4x12 duct and cut it down to fit my opening. After that just connected the 4" vacuum hose to the duct (after crimping the end to fit the hose with a duct crimper) and the existing flex hose from the air housing. I have a turbo filter so it may be different. The flex line is nice because it can be squeezed in between the air conditioning lines. Not optimal as straight pipe will provide better air flow but it's way way better than stock.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:37 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bassproguy07
anyone think of running two ram airs? Theres plenty of room on the passenger side of my truck, and i think if I cut a hole in my air cleaner housing, ran some tubing down to the front of the truck and made a smaller, but similar, setup like dave I could have Two ducts going into my intake instead of just one. Anyone think it would work? If so ill try it. I am going to try and work on the driver side ram air today, if time allows.
I would think so. I've read on other sites about people using a hole saw to make extra holes in the outer perimeter of the air cleaner assembly, and they claimed it helped. Ducting more cold air to one sure can't hurt. Will it be worth the work to build and install it? Dunno' that's a question only you can answer

Old 09-20-2006, 03:11 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
haha yeah, thats what im pondering on, Is it worth it?? Im gunna take the grill off n look at it later on n see if it is gunna be harder then i think.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
bobpat204
Junior User
what about getting an air cleaner from the scrap yard or the old parts truck if you have one and cutting that horn off and welding it on the right side of the exsiting cleaner and running the factory felx tube and under hood scope,bascialy you have a mirror of the left side factory setup. gotta get more air than before???

Old 09-20-2006, 06:05 PM
bobpat204
Junior User
just looked under the hood of my 94 f350 there would just be enough room for the flex tube to go between the fuel filter and the a/c dryer but you would have to pull the flex tube every time you wanted to check the oil/tranny fluid, or you could go straight out the side of the cleaner ,horn pointing at the passanger side fender and go around all that but you would need longer flex tube,also the under hood scoop would be upside down.but i might make a trip to the automotive recycling station this weekend and give this a try. love staurday trips to the "yard"

Old 09-20-2006, 08:43 PM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
I'm real happy with my deflected ram air system from behind the grill up to a 4" system and bigger scoop over the battery on my 93 N/A I have measurable ram air forced air, but it is deflected up from behind the grill. so rain and snow are not driven into the filter housing.
<CENTER></CENTER>

Last edited by KJLYPW; 09-20-2006 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
DNewton
Senior User
very nice bro, what all was required to make that? how much time did you spend on it?