General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Would you spend 20 million dollars ,

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you spend 20 million dollars ,

for one round trip ride to outer space ? Just how rich would a person have to be, to drop 20 million on a space ride ? I for one, cannot fathom having that kind of money ..

Old 09-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
You can be that if I had that kind of money, I'd go. Of course, if I had enough that I could blow $20m on a vacation, I'd probably be seriously looking at building my sub-orbital flyer.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'd be concentrating on helping other people out with that extra $20million, before I decided to go into space.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
I know this will be a controversial opinion on here, but I will come out with it anyway. I know most rich people got their wealth by either inheriting it or earning it . Knowing that, the consensus of opinion is "they earned it, they should get to spend it however they want !!" It is their business and personal right yes ? . ..

Regardless of how the person became rich, someone somewhere, dedicated a lot of hard work , self sacrifices and mental and physical effort to gain that wealth. But somewhere along the line the wealth for that person accumalates to the point of them spending their fortune on frivolous waste....

How so ? For just one example of many, lets take the Biltmore Estate built back in the 1890's. Yes, I know it gives people jobs now as it did back then. The mansion was so large and extravagant they built small houses on the property,just for the craftsmen to live in while they built it. This mansion was built to be the owners "summer home" . Only used for parties and somewhere to send friends and guests for a getaway. Custom made architectural features, imported marbles, exotic woods, and all for what ?? To get those " ooh , aaah, this is sooo beautiful comments while impressing people , AND to make a statement of their wealth to the world. humbug...

So while the summerhome is being lavished by the rich in the 1890's-1900's, we commoners get to continue to pay ridiclous prices for commodies. The commodities the people got rich from since the industrial revolution. Steel, coal, machinery, software, on and on. How does it feel to pay almost $600.00 for little cd disk with Microsoft Office 2003 on it ? ...

Sorry for the topic turning rant, but I am just wore out with the unfairness of it all. How about when a person gets so rich they can pay 20 million for a joy ride to space, or buy islands to play on, or 20 million yacts to sail, how about giving the commoner a little break and drop the price of the little CD with "Office 2003 on it, to maybe a measly $250.00 ???

Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Steamir
Senior User
Each person makes choices in life. Choices lead to who you are. They accummulate. If you make the choice to do what you do every day of your life and you are not happy with what you make for a salary than you have a choice to make. 1. Complain about other people making more money. or 2. change your lifestyle. Go to school, find something that makes more money. Of course that takes time. You should have started years ago. The choices accummulate. This Great Country of ours provides everyone with 'Opportunity' Stop complaining about what someone else has and enjoy life as you chose it to be.
I personally would never help anyone who is poor. People are poor because they have chosen that lifestyle. (Unless they are mentally ill, then in that case I would help them). Poor people, for the most part, are lazy, and they choose to be that way. They too, are bi@#%ing about it. Yet they sit in their damn livingroom watching Oprah, collecting welfare and complaining that the rich person isn't helping them out. Like I said, they made choices in their life. It's not the rich persons responsibility to bail them out. You sound like the folks from New Orleans. (Who chose to stay there)

Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I can't even imagine being so rich I could spend $20 million on a vacation.

But, since I'd have to think long and hard about whether I would go into space if you PAID me $20 million, I highly doubt I'd buy that trip...

Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
imagine sying yeah last summer we went to outer space

Old 09-17-2006, 09:05 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by Greg 79 f150
. I know most rich people got their wealth by either inheriting it or earning it
how else could someone become rich?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:12 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jake00
how else could someone become rich?

stealing it.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
I personally would never help anyone who is poor. People are poor because they have chosen that lifestyle. (Unless they are mentally ill, then in that case I would help them). Poor people, for the most part, are lazy, and they choose to be that way.
I don't know of that many people that choose to be poor.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:47 PM
N7ghtwolf
Senior User
Originally Posted by Steamir
Poor people, for the most part, are lazy, and they choose to be that way.
A kid isn't born into a family by choice. You spend your life in the slums with no one expecting anything from you, going to a run down public school where you get a minimal education, and can't go to college because your job at McDonalds doesn't pay enough and you don't have any skills to get a scholarship or can't get a grant where the hell does that leave you? What is a person like that supposed to do, theres nothing motivating him to change his life!

Theres thousands of family's like that where I live in the KC metropolitan area...

Last edited by Torque1st; 09-18-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: remove: First of all, f*** you. & Sorry for ranting but I depise ignorant people.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Just how rich would a person have to be, to drop 20 million on a space ride ?
Well her and her husband sold their company back in 2000 for a mere $550 million...

Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by bf250
stealing it.
Which would be earning it if they get a good enough plan to not get caught

Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by N7ghtwolf
, and can't go to college because your job at McDonalds doesn't pay enough and you don't have any skills to get a scholarship or can't get a grant where the hell does that leave you?
Poor and cant get a grant? How about student loans? I've got a very good freind who was born into a broken family, her dad a biker, her mom leaving the family for another woman..... Early on she knew she didnt want her kids to have the same life she had.

She went to college on loans , just graduated MS and got a CPA, got a career at a huge accounting firm and is making 50+ grand a year. All cause she decided she wanted a better life

Last edited by Torque1st; 09-18-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:23 PM
furball69
Postmaster
Sorry for the topic turning rant, but I am just wore out with the unfairness of it all. How about when a person gets so rich they can pay 20 million for a joy ride to space, or buy islands to play on, or 20 million yacts to sail, how about giving the commoner a little break and drop the price of the little CD with "Office 2003 on it, to maybe a measly $250.00 ???
Capitalism has a place for everyone, unfortunately, for the commoner, it's under the feet of the rich.

Quick Reply: Would you spend 20 million dollars ,