Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Got Brake Dust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Brake Dust?

I know many people have problems with brake dust on their rims from crappy/cheap pads. But there is a solution.

I bought my car last year and have been "battling" with this "evil" ever since. It bugs me because I like to have clean rims and car. So, I was changing the oil in my car about 3 months ago and noticed the front pads were starting to get down to the end of their lifespan. Well, what a perfect time to change them out.

Next week, Canadian Tire had the Monroe pads on sale for 25% off. Perfect timing. I went and picked up a set. ($44.99 plus tax). I had them sitting in my trunk until I had time to put them on. About 2 weeks ago I thought I should probably do it before winter gets here.

I put them on (kit comes with all the hardware as well as grease/lubricant for sliders and such) and what a difference. There is virtually NO BRAKE DUST on my front rims. I can wipe my finger on the rim and barely tell where I did it. You are obviously going to have a little bit but not near the amount from before. I would say 10% or less. I will have to see how they do long term.

So, if you are looking for dust free rims drive over to Canadian Tire and buy those pads!

-Matt

EDIT: Here is some info on them: http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...08474396670219

Last edited by Beast12; 09-16-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
There Is A Price....

The top-of-the-line pads shorten the lifespan of the rotors. Small price to pay for the best stopping ability and minimal dust.
Did you try any of the brake dust cleaning products to wash your rims?
AL.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Yep, but the rims would be dirty after a week and disgusting after 2. I have had the new pads on for 2 weeks and they still look great.

-Matt

Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 AM
02 LariatFX4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny you mention that...I bought the same pads and it was an issue before but somehow slipped my mind but you are right I actually don't have the problem anymore..haha...took your post for me to notice...I have had them on for over 6 months and not once have I even thought of it and prior to that it was a weekly routine to wash and polish my rims...I also really like the fact they grab well...I haver noticed they do tend to make a slight bit noisier a stop than the crappy pads but small price to pay for the time savings not to have to clean the rims...I also put on brand new rotors on all 4 when I did my last brake job so it also could be the new rotors that are the noise culprit..either way I am happy with the pads and they have already outlasted the last 3 sets of pads ...I pull a trailer every day and usually change pads 4-6 months, mostly cuz I have been too lazy to get my trailer brakes changed(for the past 2 years) Though it may be coming soon as I am looking at getting a new truck and will then be over the 4500kg so will have to get a safety done on the trailer. As it is now I need no special stickers or safeties due toi being under the weight...

2005 or 2006 F250 Harley edition coming soon to the driveway....I just need to find one for sale or a lease takeover...cross your fingers guys...even then once I get it my truck now will be getting a decent body and susp lift and big *** mudders cuz I got it stuck in a swamp on Monday and it took 2 tractors to get it out...next time I will be ready...hahahha ( I wish I had my camera Both farmers had said they pull vehicles out of that trail often and never had they seen a truck make it so far...Ford's kick ***!!!)

Old 09-18-2006, 06:54 PM
black wolf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt what i do to my rims to keep the brake dust at bay is i wax them real good and when it is time to wash my truck it just comes off sooooo easy without scrubbing the hell out of them.Just put on some wax on your rims and try it out..it realy works for me ..plus i get that shiny look.Friends of mine ask me how do i keep them looking new looking and i tell them wax them and brake dust dont stick and bake from the heat from the rotors...just a tip for ya Matt