sag pump question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:27 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sag pump question

dag-burn it.... sonuva***...

i got my pump put in this weekend and it wasnt until then i noticed that the pump that came with hy hydroboost system is only a single output but a dual return! this whole time i have had it i havent really notced it! makes me ill.

question is, does anyone see a problem with a running some sort of Y-fitting or splitter off the output?

or do i need to go yardin' for a dual ouput?

-cutts-

Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isnt the return the low pressure line? I would think that splitting the output from the pump would be fine. Your fluid might run a bit hot, but nothing that an inline cooler cant fix.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
yea the input is the low pressure line that just requires a rubber hose and some clamps.

i've got my tranny cooler i was using on my F250 as a hydro assist cooler, i think it measures out to 12"x8". its pretty big. if i need another i know where several are sitting and can grab one pretty easy!

-cutts-

Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't forsee a problem doing it that way personally. But on the cooler I would check the preasure rating a lot of them are only rated for 3-500psi, and your pump can and will put out way over that, unless you planning on running it on the return line, then not a big deal except with dual returns you will need dual coolers (which might be a benifit anyway.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
o i was planning on putting the cooler on the return line but was only gonna put one cooler on. you think the h-boost will heat the fluid enough to warrant needing another? the cooler is definitely going on the steering side.

OR i could route both the h-boost and steering return lines into just one line leading in the cooler then going into the pump. i could just block off one of the returns?!?!

i dunno, any all suggestions welcome?!?!

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 09-11-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Don't run the returns together, one will end up backfeeding and reducing the others affectivness (can't rember which one drops out but I know one drops when you do this which is why you have to run a different pump for hydroboost apps) The hydroboost unit itself won't heat the fluid (neither will the ps box) but the pump will and when you only cool one side half the fluid returning to the pump is really hot. Yes I would atleast run a stock type cooler on the other side.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Another option would be to run something like this.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

That would allow you to cool both circuits at the same time while keeping them seperate, and is small with built in fan.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can either use a Y fitting or you can plug the second return (small one in the back of the pump). It's not necessary for the pump itself, that's just added so the hydroboost has somewhere to bleed off excess low pressure fluid.

EDIT I got sidetracked and by the time I posted my reply there were several other posts. I'm tatarded.

When you run a cooler it should be on the low pressure return from the pump. It's not needed anywhere else. AFTER the cooler you can use a Y to split the single output from the cooler to 2 outputs back to the pump.

Are you running hydroboost now Fishy or are you using a hydroboost pump for a non-hydroboost system? I'm confused, not that it takes much.

Last edited by ivanribic; 09-11-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:36 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ivanribic
Are you running hydroboost now Fishy or are you using a hydroboost pump for a non-hydroboost system? I'm confused, not that it takes much.
i am running h-boost AND hydro assist. have no clue in the world what vehicle the system came off of, the pump, MC, booster, and lines were all connected sittin in the seat of some old ford 2wd truck. i'm guessing it came off an old chevy or dodge without power steering, seeing as there is only one output. i would assume if it had p/s and h-boost it would dual output like i thought!

mind you this bronco prolly wont see the street much, if any. so high speeds is way out of the question!

so monster, are you saying to just run seperate coolers and seperate return lines? i can do that no problem. i just came to you guys for the BEST possible scenario

i am still pissed i didnt notice the single output, but o well

-cutts-

Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
GreenSubmarine
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
{hijack ON}

Hey Fishy, how about some updated pics?

{hijack Off}

Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
ERNIE! buddy, where ya been man? long time!

sorry no updated pics lately, will try to get some in the next few days though

-cutts-

Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
plug the second return.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Oh jeez. I think I'm getting it and I think you're all turned around. ALL the pumps have only one output, both with and without hydroboost. With hydroboost will have 2 returns. So, you'll run your pressure line from the pump to the high pressure input on the hydroboost. Then from the hydroboost you'll have another high pressure line that will feed your steering box. The hydroboost will have a low pressure output as well (high pressure in/high pressure out plus low pressure out). SO, you'll run the low pressure out on the hydroboost back to your pump and then the low pressure return from the steering box through your cooler and back to the pump. You could add a second cooler to the low pressure return on the hydroboost but I don't think you'll need it. On my truck it didn't flow a lot of fluid back. Most of the return will come via your box.

I rambled a bit so if anything isn't clear let me know. I'm running the same setup as you're building so I can help you out. But again, you'll use only 1 output on the pump.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:47 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
OOOhhh! i think i get it! so it's like a loop? pump to h-boost, to gear box, then back to the pump?!?!

well if i understood that right, then that makes me feel much better. i thought i was trying to make some ghetto system work with a lot of complicated fittings and routes!

so i will have a low pressure return from my h-boost and then another low pressure return from my gearbox!!!

gotcha, makes me wanna go out and get my hoses made and get it put together.

thanx ivan, you da man

-cutts-

Old 09-12-2006, 12:00 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
OOOhhh! i think i get it! so it's like a loop? pump to h-boost, to gear box, then back to the pump?!?!
Yes, that's exactly right. The hydroboost uses pressure but almost no flow. The steering uses flow/volume but not a lot of pressure so even when you're on your brakes you still have enough flow to operate the steering (even with the hydro assist). So you will be using both low pressure return ports on the pump. I'd recommend you put filters in both lines too. Napa or VatoZone sell them pretty cheap.