Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power Steering Problem - Whats NORMAL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
CEP
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was new. It whined for a few days, untill all the air got worked out of the system. Also had a problem the day after the swap-out where the PS would stop working at low RPM (coasting thru a turn/coming to a stop). Thought I got a bad pump... but corrected it's self the next day. Again, I assume this was caused by air n the lines.

No problem or noise since. Wheels turn while at a stop and with the brake pressed.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:08 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Originally Posted by CEP
It was new. It whined for a few days, untill all the air got worked out of the system. Also had a problem the day after the swap-out where the PS would stop working at low RPM (coasting thru a turn/coming to a stop). Thought I got a bad pump... but corrected it's self the next day. Again, I assume this was caused by air n the lines.

No problem or noise since. Wheels turn while at a stop and with the brake pressed.
I think I saw that you installed an AGR pump from NAPA. Please tell me the part number and the price. The AGR web page is pretty confusing.
Warren

Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
From what the dealer told me, and what I saw when I climbed under A F550 they are the same pump.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had similar problems, Noisy pump...not PS while on brakes stopped. Replaced my pump last week with a NAPA reman and it is better than new. Steering is like a 75 coupe de ville. I did bench bleed the pump before I hooked up the lines, just filled the pump with fluid and spun the pully by hand until it fluid shot out the pressure side, then hooked up the lines and it acted like new from the second I started it.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:25 AM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by warrens250
I posted last month that I have hard steering when stopped while stepping on the brake. Feels like there is no power steering boost at all. The dealer claimed it was a failure in the steering box due to a leaking seal. Replaced the box. Not fixed. Dealer now says it is normal; there is not enough pumping capacity or pressure at idle to operate both the brake booster and the power steering booster. Its true that when I ease off on the brake a little and let the truck roll even just a little bit, I get steering boost.
I need a handful of guys with trucks like mine (02, 250, PSD) to go check their trucks, and let me know if they behave the same way. Mine turns with steering boost as soon as I ease off the brake and let it roll a little, but at full stop is feels like no power steering; very hard to turn wheels, and pump makes a slight growl (more like a grinch) just as if it was at a full turn stop. If you would please check your trucks and post replies, I'll either go back to the dealer for the right fix or let him know he is right.
Thanks, guys.
Warren
I was experiencing the same problems lately with my steering.
The truxk has just 101K miles
I was having a real hard time steering the truck when just at idle and with brake applied while towing recently and new somehting was wrong.
I took it to the dealer and they replaced the P/S pump.
The truck is an 02 Lariat 4x4 with 315/70R17 BFG AT KO's
It def steers better since the new pump was installed

Last edited by BobbyDiesel71; 09-11-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

So I spent the last hour looking for the cheapest place to find a pump, and I found that Napa, CSK Auto, and O'Reilley all carried A1 Cardone Pumps. Autozone carried something else, BUT.....you could order an AGR through them for $215. I think that I will go and pick up one from Shuck's (CSK). They offer a liftime warranty on the same part NAPA sells and only gives you a year warranty. I always thought NAPA parts were better..........

Last edited by WA.Ranger; 09-11-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 AM
roaky81
Senior User
I would replace the fluid (try and find a thicker viscosity) or the best fix would be to find a smaller diameter pulley. I've rebuilt several pumps and if these are the same vane style pumps then the problem is always going to reoccur. I believe that the problem is due to the pump not turning fast enough at idle.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

I've already replaced the fluid with synthetic, and that helped for a short time. What would you suggest on a smaller pulley?

Old 09-11-2006, 09:53 PM
roaky81
Senior User
I believe the synthetics are a thinner viscosity oil, they just last longer??? As far as the pulley goes, you would have to either find an after-market company to make one or go to the junk yard and look through their piles. Just make sure it has the same groove spacings, shaft hole diameter and that the front to rear offset is close. The next concern after that would be if the belt has adequate tension due to the smaller diameter. My steering does the same thing on occasion and I'm willing to live with it. It's a rabbit hole to go down if you take on this endeavor, but you'd have the gratitude of hundreds of PSD owners.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM
CEP
Junior User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
On your new Napa pump, is it quiet? or does it whin abit? Was it new or a re-manufactured? Just replaced mine awhile back because of whinning and the new re-manufactured one is better but still whins...and i have tried to bleed the air which does not seem to help.
It is now, but it took a couple of days to work all the air out.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Situation Update:
My Ford dealer had originally diagnosed my problem as being caused by a bad seal in the steering box, and replaced the box under my extended warranty. When that didn't fix the problem, they tried to show me that a couple of other PSDs they had there exhibited the same problem, and claimed that it is normal for the truck be behave that way (no power steering when stopped at idle with foot on brake). I then started this thread, and got a good armload of responses saying that indeed the pumps go bad, and the lack of power steering I described was fixed by pump replacement. I copied all the responses in the thread, and took them copies last week and the truck back to them yesterday for further attention. They have now produced a Ford bulletin which again says that this behavior is normal on trucks equipped with the hydrovac system of power braking, which obtains the hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. They now refuse to install a new pump under my extended warranty, claiming that the original pump is ok.
For about the same price as the $100 deductible on my extended warranty, I'll install an aftermarket replacement pump; I'm convinced that will solve my problem. I just want to report Fords' position here. I believe they are being dishonest and deceptive. I bought two trucks from this dealer, but never again will I buy another vehicle from them, nor will I return there for further service. If any other Ford dealer in eastern Washiington can do better and wants my business, post here or send me a Private Message.
By the way, the dealer did not offer to return the $100 deductible I paid when they installed the unneeded steering box which did not solve my problem.
After I install the replacement pump I'll post the results.
Warren

Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
several $.02 thoughts:

My dealer ( in L.A.) couldn't do enough for me under my extended mostly because he was making money on everything he replaced, no questions asked from ford.

I think a phone call to the Ford Rep in your area MIGHT modify the attitude. Helped here in Reno.

Good luck

Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Warren, my father lives in Wenachee and drove all the way to Bickford in Snohomish to get his Ford worked on.
You live in the Tri-cities area right?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sure seems strange that some PSD have steering problems when stopped and some don't.. weird... My 99 has never been hard to steer when it is stopped with the brake fully pressed. I just went out to the truck just now and tried it... there is no difference at all.. Read somewhere on this forum awhile back where certain mfr belts were slight too large and causing slipage. (even with the belt tensioner). Do you think this might be the problem? The pump works harder with the brakes on and turning at the same time which would put more strand on the belt.. I still have my factory supplied belt on my engine. Works good, except it whins abit..

Old 10-04-2006, 09:51 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Warren, my father lives in Wenachee and drove all the way to Bickford in Snohomish to get his Ford worked on.
You live in the Tri-cities area right?
Yes, Dan I live in the Tri-cities, but thats not where the dealer in question is located. I am considering just going to a different dealer and starting over.
Warren

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem - Whats NORMAL?