Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Gimmi a brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:35 PM
cnd999
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gimmi a brake

Finally got my cryoed slotted rotors and Hawk pads + had some time to get to them today. Following Guzzle`s detailed instruction on doing the needle bearings at the same time. I am amazed at what it took to get the one drivers side rotor off! I beat the tar out of that thing for 10 minutes with a 4lb sledge without a budge. Finally had to take the hub off and lay rotor and hub assembly on wood blocks and really have at it.Cleaned and scraped everything greased, anti-siezed and lock tited it all up and put the new slide pins in.Front pads were only making a third of normal contact on my corroded rotors. So I should be all set. I will report on smooth braking as soon as I finish.

New England salt combied with an o-ring failure turned out to be the culprit. This o-ring that seals the hub to the knuckle was gashed apon install previously. I hope tomorrow `s passenger side brings better luck

Old 09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Originally Posted by cnd999
Finally got my cryoed slotted rotors and Hawk pads + had some time to get to them today. Following Guzzle`s detailed instruction on doing the needle bearings at the same time. I am amazed at what it took to get the one drivers side rotor off! I beat the tar out of that thing for 10 minutes with a 4lb sledge without a budge. Finally had to take the hub off and lay rotor and hub assembly on wood blocks and really have at it.Cleaned and scraped everything greased, anti-siezed and lock tited it all up and put the new slide pins in.Front pads were only making a third of normal contact on my corroded rotors. So I should be all set. I will report on smooth braking as soon as I finish.

New England salt combied with an o-ring failure turned out to be the culprit. This o-ring that seals the hub to the knuckle was gashed apon install previously. I hope tomorrow `s passenger side brings better luck

You will love the stoping power that they have.They do take a little while to break in tho.Mine was pulling so slightly to the right for a while,after about 1000 miles it stoped pulling.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
cnd999
Senior User
Did you have any problems getting your rotors off?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
remember to burnish those pads and rotors in, doing as the instructions say. i know the procedure if you need it.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:14 PM
cnd999
Senior User
Thanks I got the paper they sent with them. How do you like the performance.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Did you have any problems getting your rotors off?
Yes i did,but nothing a BFH couldnt fix lol.

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
remember to burnish those pads and rotors in, doing as the instructions say. i know the procedure if you need it.
agreed,they should have sent you instuctions on how to do it.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
How do you like the performance.

Best rotors and pads i ever bought!!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 04:19 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cryoed rotors will be in my future, probably when the front pads wear out. I'll be interested to see your results.

What brand did you end up getting, Powerslot, ART, something else?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 PM
cnd999
Senior User
Yes Powerslots from DPPI. I only want to do this once. My brakes were really shot so that was my excuse, and the wife can only agree when she sees the checkbook that safety should come first.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:29 PM
cnd999
Senior User
I should have used a bigger FH it would have gone quicker, My old roter looked like a Pringle when I got done.

GREEN DUELLY;Yes i did,but nothing a BFH couldnt fix lol.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
cnd999
Senior User
Got my Powerslots and Hawk pads in and wow, what a difference! Got the needle bearings greased with red high temp, replaced yellow O- ring on hub, greased up the new slide pins, cleaned all mating surfaces and used a very thin coat of anti sieze, and serviced my Warn lockers. torqued everything to spec

After everything looked so pretty on the front I figured cause I had to rotate my tires anyway I yanked the back brakes too and cleaned and inspected everything including parking brake, greased the slides and scuffed the rotors and pads which looked kinda glazed. This was probably due to backs taking up the slack for the failing fronts. All in all my piece o mind has increased dramatically.This truck has never stopped as well as it does now, I can`t wait to see how she does towing.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Got my Powerslots and Hawk pads in and wow, what a difference! Got the needle bearings greased with red high temp, replaced yellow O- ring on hub, greased up the new slide pins, cleaned all mating surfaces and used a very thin coat of anti sieze, and serviced my Warn lockers. torqued everything to spec

After everything looked so pretty on the front I figured cause I had to rotate my tires anyway I yanked the back brakes too and cleaned and inspected everything including parking brake, greased the slides and scuffed the rotors and pads which looked kinda glazed. This was probably due to backs taking up the slack for the failing fronts. All in all my piece o mind has increased dramatically.This truck has never stopped as well as it does now, I can`t wait to see how she does towing.

Wait they get better,after about 1000 miles on them.

Glad everything went good for ya.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:55 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the cryo rotors worth it? I will be getting powerslots but am not sure about the cryo.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been told that if you do a lot of towing or hauling, that would stress the brakes more than unloaded or light load driving, the cryo rotors will resist wear and warping better than the standard powerslots. I know that I will be getting the cryoed rotors when I do mine. I figure if I'm spending the money on Powerslots, I may as well be sure that I'm getting the best they have.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:15 AM
cnd999
Senior User
The extra 16 or 20 bucks each was well worth it in my opinion.Total cost for everything including hawk performance pads and cryoed powerslots was around 380.00 and that`s shipped. This is just the fronts.

Originally Posted by sgrol
Are the cryo rotors worth it? I will be getting powerslots but am not sure about the cryo.

Last edited by cnd999; 09-11-2006 at 07:24 AM.