Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

96 Explorer intermittent starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM
jl2695
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Explorer intermittent starting problems

My wife's Explorer has been giving us starting problems for the last year. It happens when it's hot or cold but usually it happens most when making a short trip to the store. The engine will turn over but will not catch. I've replaced the IAC valve, the fuel pump, the EEC and fuel pump relays and still the problem persists. I've heard that the PCM relay could be a problem but I can't even find a "PCM relay" to buy online. Is this PCM realy called something else? The wife is demanding a new car if I can't get this fixed so please someone help me!!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 06:08 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:49 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to determine if it's fuel or spark related. When you turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump run for a second or two. If you don't hear that, then it's fuel related. If you do hear it, it's probably spark related. When this happens, how do you eventually get it to start?

Old 09-07-2006, 02:52 PM
jl2695
New User
When the problem arrises it will crank over fine but it won't start up. If I spray some starter fluid into the air cleaner it will start up so I'm treating this as a fuel problem. This usually happens after a short trip to the store, when you come back out it won't start. Wait 15-30 minutes and it will start fine. After doing some research I started paying attention to the "Check Engine" light and realized that the times when I have problems the light does not come on. If I turn the key to the on position and I see the "Check Engine" light come on then I know it will start and it does. This leads me to believe the problem is in the control module. I've seen it called the PCM, ECM, EEC and the ECU ECM. I think they all refer to the same module but this is very confusing to a novice like myself. My Explorer was made in August of 1995 and I've diagnosed other problems with an OBD-2 code reader. Would there be a code if the Check Engine light is not on constantly? The car runs great otherwise, it's just getting it started that's become a problem.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there can be codes even though the CEL is out. Are you sure yours is OBDII? All the 95s that I've seen are OBDI/EECIV. They have the OBDII port under the dash, but it's not functional. What are you getting when you hook the reader up to the OBDII port?

Old 09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
ripcurl94
Senior User
I had a problem simular to this with my wife's jeep. I replaced the plugs and wires, distrib cap.. still happens.. replaced Crank Pos sensor($104.00) .. still happened.. replaced ingition coil.. and so far so good.. when yours starts does it stall.??? or just not start at all

98 explorer XLT-108,677

Old 09-07-2006, 05:43 PM
jl2695
New User
marragtop: I have not tried to use an OBD code reader because the check engine light was not on steady so I didn't think there were any codes to read. I don't have my own reader but when I need one I borrow one from Autozone. I've used their's a couple of times to diagnose misfire problems and it seems to work fine. I hook it up to the port under the dash on the driver's side. My Explorer was built in August of 1995 (according to the sticker on the door jamb) and I recall getting the wrong brake parts one time because my explorer had 1996 model parts instead of the 95 style. So maybe I got a later explorer with the OBDII stuff.

ripcurl94: The car runs great once it gets started, never stalled yet. It's just getting the darned thing to start consistantly that's the problem.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:35 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
There are 3 identical relays in the power distribution box, one is the PCM relay, another is the fuel pressure relay, rotate them around and see if the problem goes away.

If you have to replace them, last I checked, about 5.00ea. I have popped the covers off and cleaned the contacts.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:07 AM
jl2695
New User
I replaced 2 relays already, the third socket was empty

Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
ctacree
New User
Jl2695,
I have the same problem with my 1995 Explorer, however if I tapped (one tap)on the relays (PCM,Fuel and one other one), located in the box above the master cylinder, it would start every time. So, I replaced the fuel relay, because when it happened I didn't hear the fuel pump run, but it happened again. So since the PCM and the fuel relays are the same part number I took the one I removed from the fuel and replaced the PCM relay with it. I also noticed that when I try to start it when the problem exist, the check engine light doesn't light and when I remove the PCM relay and try to start it the check engine light doesn't light, it duplicates my problem exactly.

PS
I went to a Ford dealer parts department and they don't show a PCM relay, I believe they call it an EEC relay, but my manual shows it as a PCM relay... check your manual under fuses.

I'll keep you posted if the problem still exist.

Last edited by ctacree; 09-20-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM
jl2695
New User
Thanks for the reply. The relays I replaced were on the passenger side at the front of the car. It sounds like the relays you're talking about are on the driver's side near the firewall. Is that correct? maybe I replaced the wrong relays

Old 09-20-2006, 01:03 PM
ctacree
New User
Yes mine are on the drivers side, however my Explorer is a 1995, maybe Ford moved the box.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
jl2695
New User
Mine is a 95 also, at least the door jamb says 10/95, some have told me this means it's a 96. Regardless, I've seen a box with relays in it where you describe but didn't know what they were for. In reading a thread on a forum they described the relays at the front as the fuel pump and EEC relay. They could have been wrong, it's cheap and easy to replace relays so I'll try the ones you describe. Maybe I'll check my haynes manual just to be sure. How long has it been since you replaced yours?

jl2695@att.com

Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
ctacree
New User
It has been about a week, so I'll let you know if I experience any more problems. Check your Ford owners manual under fuses and it will show you the relay and as I said the dealer does'nt show a PCM, but it's there. I even took my manual in, and they said they don't have a listing for that, but they are all the same part number, so only buy one and swap around. You bought two already, I would check that part number on those and see if they are the same. Also check when it fails does the check engine light come on?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
jl2695
New User
I've been watching the check engine light lately after reading something on one of these forums and I've noticed that if I turn the key on and the check engine light comes on then it will start but if I don't see that light then it won't start. Sounds like we've got the same problem. I hope this takes care of it.

Quick Reply: 96 Explorer intermittent starting problems