Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replacement CPS help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:09 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacement CPS help.

Well today, i got my first taste of the infamous CPS problems. first off, i should deserve a for not having a spare in my toolbox like any other good PSSer should have.

well today it was raining/misting heavily, and i was on my way home from the tech center. the first time the engine cut out on me while i was slowing down. i had the TC locked up and was compression braking, so i felt the jerk. next about a minute later down the road, i was accelerating and it hiccupped again. but i looked up at my stacks and two copious clouds of whitish-blue smoke poured out. threw the SES light too, it did it once more, and the light stayed on until i got home about 5 minutes later. let her cool down, and then shut it off. hopped back in 10 minutes later and no SES light. drove for about a half hour after that, no problems. i dont have a code reader to pull the code.

i see now that it is imparative for me to get another CPS, change it out, or keep it as a spare.

for those of you who tired a blue CPS back when it was "all the rage", how did you like it? do you still have it in there, or did it cause problems, or did you change it back to a new black one due to programming problems? i have a TS chip now, and if i had no performance difference, i would go with a blue CPS. ive been debating this for a while in my head now, obviously it's time to make a decision. where did you get your blue CPS? the place where i want to get it from (online) has another part waiting supposedly on backorder, and im not going to wait a month for this. should i go to the dealer?

thanks guys

Old 09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
bloomy63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about 3 month ago i swiched back to the black cps. my truck runs much smoother with the black cps. so the blue rides with me in the glove box as a spare.
both the blue and the black can be purchased at an international dealer. but i do not have the part numbers handy, i'll see if i can find them

also from what i can remember from other posts the blue cps has a stronger magnet in it. which in some trucks compensates for the gap being too big between the cps and the pick up point. so that is why some trucks run better with it. mine actually runs worse with the blue. i vaugely remember someone doing some test on a dyno, and with that particular truck, it ran better with the black.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:23 PM
jayco20002000
New User
I installed the Blue CPS in my truck when my origional equipment CPS failed but did not notice any change over the stock Black unit. I have it in the truck now for about 6 mounths and have had no problems, so I left it in and will replace it when and if it fails.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed a blue CPS just yesterday and couldn't tell the difference until this morning on the way to work. Maybe it's an illusion but it does seem that she is running smoother at freeway speed.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
And one more thing, I got mine from www.puredieselpower.com

$109 and it was here in two days.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bloomy63
the blue rides with me in the glove box as a spare.
Yeah, same here. The blue one failed on me after about a month or so, but I had a new black one in the glove box. I put it in and the company I got the blue from sent me a replacement- and it rides as the spare.

The blue really quited my motor. I will say this again, BLUE CPS + SS HPX= NICE!!

It made my truck nice and quiet, however, my mileage suffered with the blue. GO figure- increased mpg with the blue was one of their big selling points.

Bluey Part# 1807339c92

Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
I replaced my black with the blue. I can honestly say that I felt no change from the stock. I checked my MPG several times and saw no difference. Maybe different trucks like different CPS's. Kind of like our chips. The black rides as a spare.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Kris,
You know we are going to have to dock your rep for not carrying a spare.

They are literally the same component they are manufactured on the same line the only difference is the color of the dye for the plastic. The internal electronics are identical.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so is it not true that the magnet on the blue one is not stronger?

sorry about not carrying the spare. i told you i deserve a slap in the face with a big wet fish.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
4X4 IN REFUGIO
Elder User
Yes... The magnet on the Blue One is stronger.

If you have a blue one and a black one side by side.and stick both of them onto a piece of metal. The blue one is much stronger. I've done it and there is no question about it. Don't know that the blue is any better performance wise though..
Changed mine back to black because I read on here that Jody Tipton had programed his chips to run on the black ones.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:18 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
amiller93 I am not disputing your word, but the blue cps's end has a different shape from the black so how can they be from the same assembly line. The blue CPS is more pointed at the end than the black. Just wondering.

Do I need to put my Black CPS back in for Jody Tunes?

Last edited by jrciii56; 09-05-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM
4X4 IN REFUGIO
Elder User
Originally Posted by jrciii56
amiller93 I am not disputing your word, but the blue cps's end has a different shape from the black so how can they be from the same assembly line. The blue CPS is more pointed at the end than the black. Just wondering.

Do I need to put my Black CPS back in for Jody Tunes?

I'll dispute his word...... Not only is the magnet stronger but like your saying... the blue one also has a slightly different shape to it. And it is designed for a different engine. More to it than just different colored plastic.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Trouble1263
Mountain Pass

Thumbs up

Try this seller on E-bay http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZidealz07 A lot of the guys recomend him.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:09 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a spare blue if you want to try it..

Duncan

Old 09-06-2006, 07:00 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Kris,

I ain't taking my blue one out. Well, not unless it dies....then I'll put in another blue one. I have had my blue one in for about 6 months and put roughly 14,000 miles on it. I've got a new black one in the glove box for a spare and a spare it will be.

I like the way mine runs with the blue one. There was a difference when I switched and it's a good difference.

Cody

Quick Reply: Replacement CPS help.