2006 4.2 - Brand new! NOW WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:49 PM
dj12inches
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 4.2 - Brand new! NOW WHAT?

Well, with 0% it was hard to pass up. I am now the proud owner of a nice XL, 5 speed, with the ole 4.2 v6.

Being the mod junkie that I am (you should see my ZX2) I now have a nice FRESH SLATE!!!

Sooo.....here we go......WHAT SHOULD I DO FIRST?? What do you all think of this:

1. I am thinking about just cutting the air box open and putting in a high flow filter. The design of the intake looks like a true CIA, and it actually looks OK, only one mild 90 degree bend. This is going to save me some money, and unless somebody here tells me that buying a new CIA is going to be MUCH better, I may stick with this option.

2. I am looking for an exhaust system. I dont need stainless, it never rains in San Diego. I just want a good pipe size with a good muffler, and I want the thing to bolt right in. Anybody install one yet? I dont even care if it is dual or single exit. I just want the most bang for my buck in the performance department, and it has to pass Cali smog.

3. Seems like the diablo sport chip is the way to go. What product are we talking about? The predator? I didnt think it would work. Does anybody know what my options are for 2006?

4. WHAT NOW??? What is the next best bolt on that I can get? HEEELLP!

JB

Old 09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...nd-advice.html Hope this gives you some direction. Ive modded my truck, and I'm pleased with it as of yet,(dual exhaust,custom true duals, and a K&N intake) but I haven't a clue on the chip, I'm researching it as well.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not seen a K&N, or MAC air intake kit for the 2005+ 4.2 F150.
Maybe some day??

Yes, you can cut the plastic housing right around where it clamps to the air filter and eliminate the intake snorkle through the fender well.
From experience, it seems to neithe help or hurt.
You will hear it is detrimental because you suck in hot air from under the hood.
Having an old intake setup from previous truck allowed me to cut on one and keep one stock (2005 model) for comparison.
I can't tell any difference either way. FWIW, all the best gas mileage numbers I have gotten (currently at 59,000 miles) have been with the air filter housing assembly cut away so that the filter is not breathing through the fender well. Currently have a regular paper element filter. I think I'll replace it with a K&N type. Not because it think it will add power, but because I like washing and reusing as opposed to having to buy new.

I had a local shop cut my factory muffler off and replace with a Flowmaster SI/DO. They bent pipe and made the system from the muffler out the back.
It's louder than I like, but I'm living with it. Noticed no improvement in performance, just sounds better (if you like that sound).
No experience with a bolt in replacement system, although I hear some are pretty good (Gibson for example)

Check the forum here at FTE dealing with Chips, Tuners, etc. You can get more info there regarding chips.

If you haven't already, you can click "SHOP" on the top banner here at FTE, and also check out the site sponsors.
Lot's of stuff to look at.

Honestly, there is not that much stuff marketed as a performance product for the 4.2 F150.

You can get electric fans and an underdrive pulley setup.

Most other stuff requires you start digging deeper. That is: beyond the simple bolt on type products.

Best of luck!!

And OBTW, keep in mind your warranty. Start monkeying with stuff and you might catch flak if you have a warranty claim.
I am NOt saying you WILL get pushback from Ford if you have any warranty issues, just saying keep it in mind.

Last edited by BrianA; 09-08-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 PM
20024.2V-6
Freshman User
well if you want to go a lil wild with it you should check out www.supersixmotorsports.com they have intakes, heads, complete engine rebuilds anything you could want for it. hope it helps