1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Keys and Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
oldsub86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keys and Remotes

I just got an 02 F150 and only received one key and one remote with it from a used truck dealer. I checked with my local Ford dealer today and they want about $42 for the key and $60 for the remote and I have to book an appointment for the service shop to program them. Do I have any other choices for a second key and remote? Is there an aftermarket source of any kind or am I stuck with the dealer?

Randy

Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I purchased a remote for my 01 F-150 (with programming instructions) off of ebay for around 10 bucks. I've been using the remote for several months and no problems thus far...the company I purchased it from guaranteed it too.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The remotes you can get cheap on E-bay and program yourself. The key however is a different matter, being that you only have one key you need to have a high end code reader/diagnostic tool to program the truck to the key, so might as well have ford do it. If you had 2 keys it would be a different story.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 AM
pilot10
More Turbo
Often there is a programming charge on top of the cost of the key. You may want to check that so you can get your yelling and screaming out of the way.

I picked up two spare keys from the dealer for $27 a piece and they wanted something like a hundred dollars to program them. The programming function is detailed in the manual and in a few posts in this forum, but I wasn't successful in getting them programmed.
You do need two programmed keys in order to program additional keys and I believe there may be a limit to how many you can have programmed- it's like 6-7. Don't hold me to this last part as it's been a while since I read the manual.

I was pretty busy at the time and didn't mess with them beyond the initial two attempts. I should go find them and get that taken care of.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 PM
TBloggins
Freshman User
Check your local locksmiths. They often have the box to program the second key, and a lot cheaper than the dealer. Once you have two, you can program your own, which you can get cheap on ebay. Instructions are in the owners manual. Same as your remotes. Get them cheap off ebay. Cycle your ignition from off to run (without starting), eight times in ten seconds, ending on run. Your doorlocks will cycle, hit any button on the remotes, then turn the ignition off, and the locks will cycle one more time and your done.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts
i bought two keys of e-bay for $15 each. had them cut at the hardware store for $1 each. then you have to pay the FORD dealer to program them. that cost $50 for the pair.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
TBloggins
Freshman User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
i bought two keys of e-bay for $15 each. had them cut at the hardware store for $1 each. then you have to pay the FORD dealer to program them. that cost $50 for the pair.
Steve,

If you have two programmed keys, you can program more yourself. It takes about a minute, and the instructions are in the owners manual. I got a pair on ebay for $24.00 and did them myself. No need to give the dealer any more than you have to. Sat down with two new cut keys ($24) and two new remotes ($25), five minutes later I was out of the truck with everything done. Total $49.00, and no waiting or paying Ford one cent more. They wanted just a couple of bucks shy of $100 here to progam a second key, my local locksmith will do it for about $55.00, incuding the key.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts
i bought a used 2001 with one key. the cheap way out was to buy two more keys so if i loose one, i still have two in the future. dealer wanted $50 to program one or both. i let him do it, but i could have done the second one after they did the first spare.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 AM
madrockwyo
Senior User
An interesting side note: I got an extra key cut that does not have the chip inside it, just a stnadard hardware store key that I could carry in my pocket as a spare for when the dog jumped on the electric lock button and locked me out. It works great for unlocking the doors and tailgate when I don't want to run back nad get the keys out of the ignition. Also, if you try to start hte truck with the standard key, it will just crank and spin the engine forever. I guess it just cuts off the coil to prevent it from firing.
Scott