2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
jonnysteals
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door panel removal

Guys I am gettign ready to remove my door panels to replace a bad power window motor. Do you guys know any special techniques to getting the door panels off. I dont want to damage the clips holding it on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:17 AM
spiggy769
Senior User
Originally Posted by jonnysteals
Guys I am gettign ready to remove my door panels to replace a bad power window motor. Do you guys know any special techniques to getting the door panels off. I dont want to damage the clips holding it on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Well your in luck...there are no clips that actually lock holding the door on. There are 2 screws on the bottom of the door panel maybe one under the armrest and I believe one behind the Power window switch. Remove the screws and the switch...then just lift up and out...The door more or less just rests in position using guides for alignment not clips. Please note though That When I took my door panels off it was to install aftermarket power windows so I didnt have the Power window switch. But I do beleive there is a screw there...just be careful it should lift up rather easily with just a little bit of pressure. If it doesnt then you probably missed a screw somewhere...Good Luck.

Last edited by spiggy769; 09-01-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:11 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
On my 04 you also have to pop the cover off and remove the speaker.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 PM
jonnysteals
Senior User
thanks guys. My truck is an 05 and I am actually adding power windows myself. Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember when your doing this that your really gonna have to tug on these panels b4 they will actually come off, you might think your going to break them but there pretty tough, good luck

Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
spiggy769
Senior User
thanks guys. My truck is an 05 and I am actually adding power windows myself. Thanks again.
If that is the case then you will also need to remove the window crank. The handle is sort of a single piece that splits apart. At the Base of the Handle pry it out and then swing it away. You will need a T-20 Torx to remove the screw there.

Might I also suggest a few other things while you are going in there...

Adding Power door Locks...its cheap and you will already have the door panels off. Also When ylou remove the handle you are left with a nice Black Pice of plastic to put in its place. Instead of this I ended up buying some tweeters and installed them to cover the holes. Actually makes it looks like they belong there.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:25 PM
jonnysteals
Senior User
spiggy you just anwsered anwsered my next question. I dreded the ideal of them ugly plastic caps being there and twweters is the perfect solution . Do you know what size tweeters will fit in the opening left by the window crank. I can start this project until the huricane is gone because my brothers lifting his truck in my garage and it's taking up the whole garage. Any helpful hints about the insall would be greatly appreciated. Also for the illuminated switches did u tap into the lights or as I planned the illumination switch for the head unit. thanks again

Old 09-02-2006, 12:14 AM
spiggy769
Senior User
I am not sure of the Exact size but I used Pioneer TS-T15 Tweeters. They fit exactly covering up the hole...They fit pretty good (You will have to use a surface mount tweeter due to clearance issues). To hold the bracket more securly though I took a piece of aluminum 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide x 2" long and tapped the center of it to accopmidate a 10-24 countersunk machine screw. I then used that on the inside of the door to hold the Tweeter Bracket tight against the Door. It worked much better then the Stock Mounting clips.

As for Dimming I went directly off of the Light switch dimmer. This is the Lock Kit I used...http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm It is the Rod Typr actuators. I did not get the remote door Key Fob because of a planned future ALarm install for the keyless entry...However I did go with some door switches. Do yourself a favor and do not use the Door Switches. Just install the kit without them. Reason being is that I myself never use them. When You open one door they both open and same goes for locking them so the door Lock switches are pretty much useless unless you like playing with buttons.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 AM
orgnova
Freshman User
Where did you all get your power window kits? I have an '05 I would like to add the power windows to.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:25 AM
spiggy769
Senior User
Originally Posted by orgnova
Where did you all get your power window kits? I have an '05 I would like to add the power windows to.
Check the link in my above post...

Old 09-02-2006, 08:04 PM
jonnysteals
Senior User
Well I got my drivers side power window working but did not have any time left to do the passenger side. It was really simple to instal. I tapped into the grey wire for the headlights. I have the power wire temporarily attached to the battery but plan on attaching it to the power wire for the head unit. If you have a better way to power the windows I am open to all suggestions. Also when I pulled off the trim around the fuze box there was brown water in the area right behind there. Should I be worried about this. Thanks again

Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 PM
spiggy769
Senior User
Do not hook it up to the power wire for your head Unit. I do not know which ones you installed but I installed the collibri Universal kit. If I raise up both windows at the same time and one closes before the other without me releasing it right away it will blow a 20Amp fuse in a sec. Best thing is to leave it on its own dedicated power source. I tapped off of a Hot coming in on a wiring harness directly into the fuse panel. If I was you I would either do the same or leave it as a direct battery hook up.

And as for the Brown water. Dry it up and then check it again after the next big rain...if it is there...then I would get concerned about it.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 PM
jonnysteals
Senior User
Sorry bout the delay but I have been busy lifting my brothers dodge. I missed spiggy last response and tapped into the radio and blew the fuse which is the instriment cluster fuse on an xl forthe record. I just hard wired the window kit to the battery cause I like to leave my windows down at work but leave my keys in the office. When its hardwired it means that you dont need the truck on roll the windows up and down. Also this kit was extremely easy so anyone tempting this project I wouls like to give them only encouragement because it is a fairly easy project. Thanks spigyy you were a big help.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:37 PM
spiggy769
Senior User
Sorry bout the delay but I have been busy lifting my brothers dodge. I missed spiggy last response and tapped into the radio and blew the fuse which is the instriment cluster fuse on an xl forthe record. I just hard wired the window kit to the battery cause I like to leave my windows down at work but leave my keys in the office. When its hardwired it means that you dont need the truck on roll the windows up and down. Also this kit was extremely easy so anyone tempting this project I wouls like to give them only encouragement because it is a fairly easy project. Thanks spigyy you were a big help.
Anytime man usually when I am not being sarcastic I am trying to be helpful. Now my Question...did you get the ELectric Life Power window kits? If so ho do they work. Are they pretty quick in the raise and lower department or can you take a step back and make a sandwhich while the window is coming up?

Old 09-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jr105
On my 04 you also have to pop the cover off and remove the speaker.
I'm about to replace the speakers in mine... does the plastic speaker cover come off separately or do i have to unscrew the door panel/remove it (thought this was the way to do it from looking at it, but your post makes it sound like it's not) ?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: door panel removal