Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Problem with New DiPRicol Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
houndog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Problem with New DiPRicol Gauges

Well, I just installed new DiPricol's in place of Juice w/ Attitude. I'm having a problem with the pyrometer gauge. Installed red wire from gauge (12V+ keyed on) to Red w/ yellow tracer wire on round four pin connector. Installed white wire (LED Pos.) to yellow wire on square 6 pin connector. Grey and Black wires to chassis ground under dash. AMP connector to thermocoupler as instructed. Checked all connection with hot-light and confirmed power. Heres the problem: when I start the vehicle the needle goes to 0 and then to approx. 250 deg. After driving for a short distance the needle goes to 1650 deg's and stays until I turn off the ignition. When it seams to want to work it does not lower temps quickly like my Attitude monitor or even my old Autometer pyro. I have put in two different DiPricol gauges sets with the same results........Any ideas or input?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
pbr man
Elder User
It sounds like your probe is grounding in the manifold. Check to see if it is screwing in too far and touching the inside of the manifold. Try unscrewing it 1/2 turn and run the engine and see what happens.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 PM
houndog
New User
DiPricol Fix

PBR Man,

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I see you have DiPricols also. When you start the truck does the needle reset (Go to 0) then go to the current EGT temp? Also does the needle stay at the last temp before shut down when you turn off the key? Going to run down the road and check the gauge.
Thanks again!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
pbr man
Elder User
Yes, gauge stays at temp that was reading at shut down and when key is turned on goes to zero and then reads current egt. Sounds like yours is working but when temps go up something is changing with the heat and touching somewhere.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
houndog
New User
Test Run

Well, ran less than 1/2 mile and the gauge climbed to 1600 deg.... slow excelleration....drove home let cool down for 5 minutes and temp read 900 deg.....turned off key, turned on key for reset and gauge showed 250 deg....can't figure it out? Probe not touching manifold, wires all snug....

Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 PM
pbr man
Elder User
You said you tried two different gauge sets. When you changed gauges did you change the probe? I just checked under my dash, and your wiring sounds like everything is correct. Still sounds like a grounding probem. Maybe the vendor you purchased from might have more ideas. Maybe some one else can chime in too. Hope you can get it figured out, I've had my Dipricols in for about 6 months and they have worked great and I like the way they match the factory gauges.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 AM
houndog
New User
Changed the gauge, thermocoupler, and 12' lead. Worked with vendor today via telephone...he suggested the same things and was also baffled by the gauge readings. I even wired the pyro by itself and got the same results. Bench tested the gauge with the 12V+ and ground and it read just under 200 deg. I did notice on the last test run that the needle jumped like a second hand on a clock up until the 1600 deg mark.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
houndog,

Un plug the back of the gauge, then make sure all pins are in place and reinstall. Bet it's OK! The odds of two gauges doing the same thing are "lets go to Vegas with a quarter and come home millionaires", got to be something in the install!!

Mark @ DPPI

Mark @ DPPI