Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Sell me a Ford

Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 PM
TheWhip
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell me a Ford

I would like it if someone gave me a good reason not to buy a Dodge Hemi Ram With a six speed manual, and go for a Ford instead.

I am looking for a new Truck and i am having a hard time deciding.

The following is a list of pro's and cons that i have (in my limited amount of knowledge) been able to come up with.

Ford Pros
Great Looks
Funcionality

Ford Cons:
Sluggish
Under powered
Heavy

Dodge Pros:
Great Looks
Funcionality
Power Power
Interior quality

Dodge Cons:
Questionable Tranny
Gas
Electrical systems

I all Honesty. I don't think tranny issues would be a concern if you went with a manual gear box...but who knows.

Last edited by TheWhip; 08-30-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
You forgot to mention you'd have to drive a truck with a sheep on the hood.

You also haven't mentioned what model Ford you're looking at, or what powertrain combination. Hard to compare to a blank target. I'm still trying to contain myself when i saw "interior quality" listed in the Dodge pro column.

Last edited by polarbear; 08-30-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Depends what you want to use it for. If it's work related and you want something that will last you long after the payments are done, buy a Ford. If you want something fast and sporty that you will find yourself waxing every weekend, buy a Dodge. The Dodge will also provide you a great reason to buy another new truck in a few years.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 PM
TheWhip
New User
Originally Posted by polarbear
You forgot to mention you'd have to drive a truck with a sheep on the hood.

You also haven't mentioned what model Ford you're looking at, or what powertrain combination. Hard to compare to a blank target. I'm still trying to contain myself when i saw "interior quality" listed in the Dodge pro column.
Well i did not list Ford's interrior quality because i expected it. Chevy .........well everybody already knows about chevy. Dodge suprised me though. Fit and finish was excellent, not withstanding hard plastic which everyone has nowadays anyways.

I will be the first to admit that i love what Ford has done with their interiors but , it is a love hate relationship. On one hand every thing is laid out perfect, is functional and there seems to be ample room. On the other hand, it looks and feels too car like.

Dodge In MHO has a much more conservative but equally functional interior, not to mention more truck like. If it wasn't for lack of rear seat comfort i would have given more of a nod to Dodge.

In answer to your other question, i was looking at an F-150.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Not being 100% up on Dodge products, can you get the 6 speed manual in a 1/2 ton??

If not, the 3/4 ton with a pseudo-hemi will not be any "sportier" than a F-250 with a V10/6speed.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
TheWhip
New User
I understand the Brand Bias here and i expect it. I absolutely love the Ford Rangers and will defend then to the death. Unfortunately im not buying a Ranger.

Truth be told i think they are both great trucks. My family has always owned Fords so naturally, i find myself gravitating in that direction.

I do like to do my own homework though, and i find just as many negatives about certain brands as i do positives (this includes the f-150).

I want a truck because i believe trucks can and often do come in very handy. Will i every really tow any thing other then a small 18ft trailer? I doubt it. Will i ever haul anything more then furniture or maybe a dirt bike? I doubt that too.

Bottom line is I Probly won't ever need anything bigger then an F=150 and the f-150 could tow and haul everything i listed with no problem. But! Then again, so could a Dodge.

Do i want to play go go speed racer? No! But when i mash the gas i want to know it.

I need help i really do. Damn!! how i wish Ford would come out with a decent gasser, my problems would be over.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:01 PM
TheWhip
New User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Not being 100% up on Dodge products, can you get the 6 speed manual in a 1/2 ton??

If not, the 3/4 ton with a pseudo-hemi will not be any "sportier" than a F-250 with a V10/6speed.

It is my understanding that if you want a 6 speed manual with the Hemi, you have to move you to a 2500. Which is fine with me because there is no real difference other then the obvious and i like the added frame strength.

Then again, if you are going to move up to a 2500, might as well get the cummins.

Nothing against the SD's they just don't do anything for me, unless it's an F-350 from the earlly 90's.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
TheWhip
New User
This is what i have noticed around town and on the internet. If i offend someone i am sorry.

Chevy's: white HD's and almost always lifted, at least out in san diego. Second only to dodge on the amount i have seen droped, Seems they like to swing both ways. If you go to their forum you can hear them crying about why they always get hated on but,on the flip side they rarely talk smack.

Fords: Almost always seen as work truck or towing, second only to chevy on the amount i have seen lifted. Go to a Ford forum and you may hear them bash everybody with their holier then though attitude.

Dodge: Always seen with hood scoops, giant rims and more often then not a 2/4 drop. Rarely do i every seem them tow anything, and when i do it's always a 3500. I can count on one hand the number of dodges i have seen lifted. If you go to a Dodge forum be prepared to show proof of your time slip. Any talk other then kills,burnt, rubber, crazy gear ratios and super chips will not be tolerated.

My Point? We're all crazy

Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Well here is my .02

Ford is at the bottom in terms of hp and fun factor, but it will hold resale value.

Dodge is definately fun to drive, and the hemi is a powerhouse. That is proven at the truck pulls. They do really well. On the otherhand, thier resale seems very bad.

Chevy doesn't have the hp of the hemi yet, unless you get the Vortexmax. But they hold their resale value very well.

Bottom line, your money and your choice.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:55 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheWhip
This is what i have noticed around town and on the internet. If i offend someone i am sorry.

Chevy's: white HD's and almost always lifted, at least out in san diego. Second only to dodge on the amount i have seen droped, Seems they like to swing both ways. If you go to their forum you can hear them crying about why they always get hated on but,on the flip side they rarely talk smack.

Fords: Almost always seen as work truck or towing, second only to chevy on the amount i have seen lifted. Go to a Ford forum and you may hear them bash everybody with their holier then though attitude.

Dodge: Always seen with hood scoops, giant rims and more often then not a 2/4 drop. Rarely do i every seem them tow anything, and when i do it's always a 3500. I can count on one hand the number of dodges i have seen lifted. If you go to a Dodge forum be prepared to show proof of your time slip. Any talk other then kills,burnt, rubber, crazy gear ratios and super chips will not be tolerated.

My Point? We're all crazy
Dropped trucks? You're not from the Northwest, I take it.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:52 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TheWhip
It is my understanding that if you want a 6 speed manual with the Hemi, you have to move you to a 2500. Which is fine with me because there is no real difference other then the obvious and i like the added frame strength.

Then again, if you are going to move up to a 2500, might as well get the cummins.

Nothing against the SD's they just don't do anything for me, unless it's an F-350 from the earlly 90's.

Then you lost me................you're comparing a 1/2 ton Ford to a 3/4 ton dodge

"might as well get the cummins".............sure, it's only $5,000 more. Might as well get the F650 Supercrewzer then.

And while I'll concede the 1/2 ton power war, the Ford V10 will have more power than a hemi in a 3/4 ton.

Not liking the Super Duty is 100% subjective and you have a total right to your opinion.............even if it doesn't make sense.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I'm almost thinking

Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by polarbear
I'm almost thinking

ROTFLMFAO.........

Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
catan70
Junior User
Is there even a comparison?

I can see if you are trying to decide between a cummins and a powerstroke but for a 1/2 Ford all the way. The 5.4 is a proven motor. Look on this forum and you will see tons of people with 150k on their triton 5.4 and still running fine. Hemi may sound 'cool' and may be fast but when push comes to shove ford will out last, out haul and out perform any other 1/2 ton truck. On top of that they are the best look and have the best ride. Last year 900,000 americans bought a new ford truck obviously Ford has something on dodge. Buy the ford and you will never regret it. Buy the dodge and you will find yourself lookin at fords when they drive by. Oh, about the weight, i love it! I like knowing that my truck weighs more than others. I feel so much safer when my family rides in it. If you have any questions about how ford is built go to the truth about trucks on Ford's website. When you buy your ford send me a pic.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If we're talking half ton models, the Dodge has the edge in exterior styling and power IMHO. The Ram Mega Cab also offers more room than the Super Crew. I think the long bed Super Crew might beat the Dodge by a couple inches, if that is important.

As had been stated, I don't believe you can get a 6-speed HEMI in a Ram 1500.

I know this is an outdated comparison but my '95 Ram 1500 Regular Cab 4x2 Laramie SLT with 5.2L kicks butt over my '93 F-150 4x2 XLT Super Cab Short Bed with 5.0L in terms of performance. Yes, the Ford had a much better ride and interior and got at least 2-3 MPG better on the open road.

So, it all depends on what you want or what you need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sell me a Ford