Sponsored by:

Another electric fan thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another electric fan thread

My question is not about whether or not there is a use for an electric fan - I already know that I want to install one. But I have a couple of questions. I would like to add an electric pusher fan in front of the AC condenser/radiator in addition to the stock belt driven fan, in order to help the AC stay cooler at idle speeds (as opposed to installing an electric and removing the belt driven - I'm not concerned with the gas mileage). R134a conversions simply do not cool as well at idle but they seem about the same as R12 when driving, which tells me that the pusher fan could make a big difference. My Bronc does not run hot and has never overheated, so the electric fan will be there for the sole purpose of keeping air flowing through the AC condenser at idle. And I have a 160 amp alternator so I don't need to worry about juice for the fan.

My main concerns when buying the pusher fan are 1)installation and fit, and (2) how the fan on/off is controlled. I want one that is hopefully designed for the Bronco (or F150) and will bolt right in for a nice fit and a shroud that lines up correctly for maximum efficiency. Does anybody make a custom fit for our trucks? I hope to avoid having to get a universal one with those brackets and a shroud that's about worthless in its placement.

As for the on/off, I have thought of several scenarios for controlling it but I am not sure which would be the best. From what I figured, I think that the ideal scenario for me would be a two condition setup - the fan will come on only when the AC is on AND the engine rpm is below a certain level (I'm thinking 1,000 rpm). I don't have any other reasons to run the electric fan so I would only want it to come on when those two conditions are met. Any advice here? I've been telling myself that I am going to do this for the past five years and perhaps this will be the year that I actually do it...

Last edited by JBronco; 08-25-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't give you much on your question about which model or who makes 'em but the electrical scenario is pretty simple. Its simple enough to trigger the fan with the A/C selector switch in the dash. Use a relay so that the fan circuit can be protected by its own fuse. The more difficult prospect would be the idle RPM trigger. While not impossible it would probably be easiest to trigger it off the TP sensor. That way when the sensor is at its bottom end voltage (throttle plates closed) it will trigger the circuit or "allow" the fan circuit that has been activated by the A/C selector switch to energize. Might require a small logic circuit to read the voltage changes from the TP sensor but its certainly "doable". Would end up being a great way to tell if your TP sensor is going south in the future as well.