Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I cant wait, tell me your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 AM
ex-wolverine
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I cant wait, tell me your thoughts

I just purchased a 1999 F-350 Lariat 7.3 PSD 4x4 long bed for $11,900 from one of my co-workers who is being transfered. It has 100,000 miles on it and I have a few questions for you all...

So far Im pleased with the truck but I would like some expert advise...Here is what I have done so far because I wanted to start from scratch as to where I know the truck stands...

1. Serviced Tranny
2. Replaced Oil and Filter
3. Replaced Fuel Filter

I have since ordered a 4" exhaust, Blue CPS, and an AIS...I am currently deployed and cant wait to install this stuff...I was just wondering what else I can do safely with out comprimising the intregrity of the truck...

Is a DP tuner recommended over a chip??? I dont want to do anything that will cause more harm than good...Keep in mind that this will be a daily driver to and from work, ocaisional off roading during hunting season and towing a light camper (23ft) duringthe summer...

The above mods I have orderd was through advise onthis forum...Im just wondering if Im heading in the right direction and not over doing it...

My next maintenance will be changing all the XFER CASE, and gear lubes out

Thanks for your inputs ahead of time

Tom

Old 08-25-2006, 03:01 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DP-Tuner does offer chips.. that is the most common way to get their tunes. You can also get the DP tunes on an SCT programmer.

The tunes from Jody at DP-Tuner are very safe... you can run them with confidence that your truck's integrity is not being compromised.

Another worthwhile mod is a valve body from BTS, if you have an auto tranny. It makes the shifts firmer and quicker, and helps prolong tranny life.

Of course, be sure to get gauges if you go with the tuner/chip.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 AM
ex-wolverine
Junior User
Thanks Ryan

Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
DP-Tuner does offer chips.. that is the most common way to get their tunes. You can also get the DP tunes on an SCT programmer.

The tunes from Jody at DP-Tuner are very safe... you can run them with confidence that your truck's integrity is not being compromised.

Another worthwhile mod is a valve body from BTS, if you have an auto tranny. It makes the shifts firmer and quicker, and helps prolong tranny life.

Of course, be sure to get gauges if you go with the tuner/chip.
Is the tranny valve body a DYI mod...Im a jet mechanic by trade and can handle most anything on a multi million $ aircraft, but there are times when cars/trucks scare me

Tom

Old 08-25-2006, 03:20 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Yep, it's really pretty easy. Just a matter of removing 20 or so bolts that hold the tranny pan on after draining it, lower the pan, pull the old filter down, unbolt the old valve body, remove the little thimble-shaped filter, press the new shift plate up there, put the little filter thing back in, bolt the new valve body in, put a new filter in, clean the pan out, rebolt the pan all up, and refill w/ fluid.

If you can turn a wrench with your hand, you can do this easily.

I think if you go to the sticky at the top of the 7.3L section, under the Common Mods thread, you should find some more detailed instructions and maybe some pics. Or better yet, find a post by guzzle92, and go to his webpage.

Ah shux, here it is:
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/bts.html

And here's his main page... lots of goodies there:
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/

The valve body is $225 plus core charge. Website is http://www.brianstruckshop.com, but you'll have to call to order it. Best do do the valve body and chip at the same time, and let both Jody at dp-tuner and Brian at BTS know that you're getting each of their respective products, and they'll set them up to work together. Really makes a big difference in the truck's shifting.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
lethal5point7
Senior User
Another case of PMS... almost brings a tear to my eye...

Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea and there is no cure it is terminal......First symptom is sudden wieght loss due to the empty wallet effect

Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
First off, Welcome to FTE.
Second, Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on a truck.
Third and most important, Thank you for you years of service.

I would recommend a set of gauges if you don't already have them. I ran my truck without them for years and got lucky. Now that I have them and are able the see the extremes the engines are capable of, I know that I will never own another diesel without gauges. I know that in you job you know the value of being able to monitor engines.
I can't wait to see what a jet engine mech. can come up with for mods on the PSD's. Just think of the possibilities.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Again, thanks for your service and stay safe, come home in one piece. Not really been a problem in my experience for jet mechanics but you never know. Uncle Sam doesn't generally place high value items in harms way but you're gone nonetheless and there are folks out there that don't like us.

I agree it sounds like you made a good buy. I know how you feel with the OCONUS thing but we all must do our time. It does allow one to save some serious money for toys, I especially liked the tax free kinda $$.

To the truck, at last. All suggestions so far are good. I would get rid of that stock intake system ASAP. Exhaust is always a plus and shouldn't hurt anything without gauges, but I highly recommend them before chipping or tuning it.

Your tranny is getting up there but may not be critical now if it is performing well. You will need to plan for that eventually. If that is working OK, I would suggest the in-tank and pre-pump mods to keep those injectors safe if all is well with them. There have been many posts here on the order of mods to make so I will not reiterate them now. Most are covered in the common mods sticky at the top of the page. If you would like more specifics on the order folks recommend, just ask, this post is getting long. Most will follow a similar pattern with few deviations.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:31 AM
sdpj
Senior User
ex-wolverine, where are you at in idaho? im taking a wild guess here but i saw you say jet mechanic so i assume you are in mountain home. i was stationed there up until about 3 months ago. now i am at langley on the F-22. crew chief ohhhh yeahhhh.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sdpj, ex-wolverine, and all other service men and women. Thank you for getting us a little payback for all our brothers lost on 9/11. it seems that most of america has forgotten the reason you are out there in harms way, but rest assured that we (firefighters) WILL NEVER FORGET.