Slideout Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 AM
quick83
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Oddly enough - the best things you can do for your seals is keep an eye on them and ensure they don't detach from where they are supposed to be.

Most auto parts stores have "A STUFF" called 3M Emblem and Plastic Adhesive, which comes in a big red tube and smells like plastic model glue. This is really good for re-attaching seals that have come loose, the only key to using it is that you have to hold the seal(s) in place for three minutes while it dries
Tape works most of the time, but don't forget to remove the tape. And try not to rip the seal back off when removing said tape - I have been playing with the idea of laying a strip of paper over the seal where the tape crosses it and using DUCT TAPE to make it stay put.

how about a thin layer of silicone greese on the rubber seal when you tape it down so the tape does not stick to the rubber.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does'nt hurt to soak a rag with brakleen, then wipe down rails real good before spraying with lube. gets the grit off.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
I use a dry lube I get from the dealer, it is called something like EZ Glide or something.I spray it maybe twice a year,we spend part of the winter in Florida and our camper is used a lot, no problems.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 PM
rustyroll
Freshman User
I have a 2011 Seiara 5th. wh. and noticed that the slide outs moved out fast and all at the same time when I first bought it new . Now a ayear later I notice that the slides come out much slower and one at a time . At times , when putting them out they will stop periodically and then start again without me taking my finger off the button. I have to agree that this may be safer but maybe I'm lookin at my first problems. These slide outs are powered by electric and hydrolics . Any comments.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyroll
I have a 2011 Seiara 5th. wh. and noticed that the slide outs moved out fast and all at the same time when I first bought it new . Now a ayear later I notice that the slides come out much slower and one at a time . At times , when putting them out they will stop periodically and then start again without me taking my finger off the button. I have to agree that this may be safer but maybe I'm lookin at my first problems. These slide outs are powered by electric and hydrolics . Any comments.
Multiple possibilities. I think we just discussed this topic a few weeks ago and you might be able to find that info in a search.

It is uncommon that all slides come out quickly, in my experience, in most hydraulic systems once they age a bit. Things gradually settle and drag and I normally do not attach much importance to it.

They are starting and stopping because the auto resetting fuse powering the pump motor is heating up and throwing open. A simple first step is to replace the fuse with a new one the same sizeand see if it changes anything. Naturally, there are many other possible causes, it is important to decide whether the situation is really causing a problem. If it takes forever to get the sides in and out, yes. If it is a one time thing, it may not be worth the effort of tracking the cause down. Usually the starting and stopping occurs with the largest slides, as they require the pump motor to work the hardest.

One thing you should not do is simply bump up the size of the pump fuse without a careful diagnosis of the problem and an evaluation of wiring size and system design! As I am sure you know, overfusing can cause fires if wiring is undersized.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
They are starting and stopping because the auto resetting fuse powering the pump motor is heating up and throwing open. A simple first step is to replace the fuse with a new one the same sizeand see if it changes anything.
The fuses you are talking about, is that the Shortstop fuses, or mini breakers? Such as this link: Shortstop Mini Breakers - Circuit Breakers - Power

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Gearitis
The fuses you are talking about, is that the Shortstop fuses, or mini breakers? Such as this link: Shortstop Mini Breakers - Circuit Breakers - Power
Most commonly the Shortstop are used. They come non-resettable, auto resetting, and auto reset with load off only, as I recall. Largest size is 50 amp. I carry one trial and auto reset on my truck in 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Steve

Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good subject given that I have four slides ! 3 hydro's and 1 electric...

I used the lube on the rails and gears, but wondered about the seals themselves and somewhere saw they suggested just wiping down all seal surfaces (inside and out ) with baby powder on a dry rag....

what say you Steve ?

does that include the black rubber itself and the inner and outer slide edges ?
on our's the slides have a pliable vinyl on the slide edge sides and top that 'fold' around the rv wall when extended or pulled in - are all like that ?)

thanks in advance....and again, if you're ever in our neck of the woods, or we come to yours, a good steak dinner is on me !

(OH, ON EDIT, our schwintek slide is fixed now, I think !...
the dealer worked with lippert to cut 3/8 of an inch from the opening, put in new rollers, more powerful motors, etc... and it worked fine the last few times !!!! )

Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Good subject given that I have four slides ! 3 hydro's and 1 electric...

I used the lube on the rails and gears, but wondered about the seals themselves and somewhere saw they suggested just wiping down all seal surfaces (inside and out ) with baby powder on a dry rag....

what say you Steve ?

does that include the black rubber itself and the inner and outer slide edges ?
on our's the slides have a pliable vinyl on the slide edge sides and top that 'fold' around the rv wall when extended or pulled in - are all like that ?)

thanks in advance....and again, if you're ever in our neck of the woods, or we come to yours, a good steak dinner is on me !

(OH, ON EDIT, our schwintek slide is fixed now, I think !...
the dealer worked with lippert to cut 3/8 of an inch from the opening, put in new rollers, more powerful motors, etc... and it worked fine the last few times !!!! )
On the electrics, I don't worry about them. I often see them lubed, which just makes a mess when I bump up against it. I hope the Scwintek works out. I saw them for the first time at NASCAR here in Bristol last year. They are going to catch on because they save the manuifacturers money on the install, but the best thing I can say about them at this point is "thank God, it is easy to disengage the motors so I could push em in and out manually". I doubt those little motors could consistently pull a greased string out of a cat's patoot.

As to the hydraulics, keeping dirt out of the seals is a real concern of mine. I often see leaks around the ram the does the actually pushing and pulling as it slides in and out of the seal. If folks are going to lube em, I think it is imperative not to allow the lube to pick up dirt as it just rips the crap out the seals over time. Personally, I tend more towards HWH's advice to motor home owners. Wipe em dry and keep em clean, but do not lube em.

I am sure there are arguments either way. Personally I prefer the old style electric slides. Dependable and very easy to work on and troubleshoot. I don't like hydraulics because all it takes in one component to disable all the slides.

Of course dollars is what is all about and if they can find a way to make things cheaper they do!!

End of sermon.

Steve

Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
I am pretty sure mine are all electic slides..good subject for all to revisit.