Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chip/Exhaust/air intake/gauges...Ready to order..HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip/Exhaust/air intake/gauges...Ready to order..HELP PLEASE

My truck is a 02 F350 Crew cab automatic tranny,4x4, 87k miles..I am not looking for monster HP gains, just better MPG and a little more of power. I am ready to order tonight. I would like advise on where to order and the products you think would work best for me. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by rsyauto; 08-20-2006 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone here will have their favorites so here's mine in the order you listed

Dp-tuner / MBRP 4" duals w/ 5" tip / AIS / DiPricol

Any of the site sponsorswould be good I like www.Puredieselpower.com

Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is just my opinion but for a chip i would go with a dp tuner adjustable chip
www.dp-tuner.com for an intake i would just get a "Kwik filter" it is just a huge paper element air filter for about $25 from www.fleetfilter.com the part number is 46637 for guages i would go with autometer trans, pyro and boost. there were some problems recently with autometer and i dont know if that is all worked out yet but i love mine. i got the z-series and they match great to the factory guages and for an exhaust you will get many different opinions on it. it depends what you like. you could go with stacks if you like the look but i got an mbrp 4 inch with muffler delete. whatever you get if you want it to be heard dont put the muffler on. i got my guages and exhaust frrom www.puredieselpower.com

Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
[QUOTE=amiller93]Everyone here will have their favorites so here's mine in the order you listed

Dp-tuner / MBRP 4" duals w/ 5" tip / AIS / DiPricol

Any of the site sponsorswould be good I like www.Puredieselpower.com[/QUOTE]
Good order and selection, how are the drone levels on your duals?
Nut

Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OOH this is going to be fun. do you want to go base model on the exhaust or do you want to go to Dual side exit, and do you want to go stainless steel? its all about price.

the list below is how I would do it if i were to take my truck from stock again and modify it.

1. intake- www.fleetfilter.com part #46637. the air filter that i think you saw in the other thread i posted about to you. price= $30 or so with shipping.

2. exhaust- i would go with a 5" exhaust system from Mark Romriell if i were to get one. sure 4" is all you will need, but im an Enthusiast and i love "overkill". so therefore i will get a 5" for you, and look at the price- its about $350 without a muffler and $375 with one. man do they sound great. here is Mark's eBay site, and the item number is 320017442060 if you cant get the link to work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-03...17442060QQrdZ1

if you see alot of salted roads, i would get a stainless system. i have aluminized pipe that is ceramic painted black so it blends in, so mine wont rust. i ran my system for one winter and it hasn't rusted yet.

3. gauges- i would go to www.puredieselpower.com for these. Garrett is a great guy to deal with and buy from. he is also my personal friend and we chat alot. i have bought alot of stuff from him, too. i got him to wireup and pre-install my gauges into the pillar and wire them up, because i like doing as little electricity as possible. it totaled about $400 all set up and everything, all i had to do was install them. i have seen them as low as $275 with a bare pillar, and the need to install and wire the gauges. again, it's about price and convenience. the standard three are boost, EGT and transmission temp. get a sender that taps into the manifold. autometer sends both styles (clamp on) but i think the more secure way is drilling and tapping the manifold. i have Autometer Sport Comps and LOVE them. just my tranny temp doesnt work.

4. now that you can get the air in and out easily while monitoring the temps, it's time for a chip. visit www.dp-tuner.com, and get one of his multi-positions chips. tell him what you plan to do with the truck, the way you drive it, and what you plan to haul or tow with it, at all. he can get you set up with the perfect setup, because he IS the MAN. he may suggest a BTS valve body for the transmission. with contact from Brian @ BTS, he can custom program the chip to work in sync with the valve body. see the next words below.

5. the transmission will be getting pretty wierd feeling now, because all of the power going through it, it will feel like a CVT shifting. the shifts will be so smooth, you can barely feel them. however that's bad, because it's creating heat from slippage. heat= short tranny life. go to www.brianstruckshop.com and look for his contact info. talk with him about getting a valve body for your 4r100. tell him you are getting a Jody Tipton (DP tuner owner) chip, and he can also modify the VB to make it work with the chip.

if you have any questions, just ask. i have pics of numbers 1,2, and 3 on my truck. plan on doing the 4 and once time and money allows.

take in mind that you will be at a new level after this. there are a handful of other mods that you can do to prevent codes and such, and to make your truck run better overall. just ask.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nut - Haven't gotten to the duals yet, got side tracked by a P0278 code. Need to find some time to pull the VC and have a look. Give me your 2cents if you can https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/519418-p0278.html

Old 08-20-2006, 08:30 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
Will the 5 inch exhaust make it loud in the cab at hwy speeds?

Old 08-20-2006, 08:38 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rsyauto
Will the 5 inch exhaust make it loud in the cab at hwy speeds?
Not from what i hear. Big time turbine whistle with relative quiet in the cab. A 4" system without the muffler will sound like the 5" system but may have more drone.Mine did when i deleted my muffler.
Nut

Old 08-20-2006, 08:47 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
I'm sorry, what is drone? Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
its a term given to the sound when you have an aftermarket exhaust, the exhaust note will seem to get louder and "hum" at a certain frequency until the engine speed goes out of the range. it's because of the pulses going through the pipe in a spiral motion, it makes the pipe vibrate and at a certain frequency it gets alot louder. those of us with drone hate it. stock exhaust doesnt make drone as it is 10 or 12 gauge and is thick enough to withstand drone. most 4" systems are 14ga and some of the 5" systems are also, but i think most 5" are 16ga.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
So the lower the gauge the less the "drone"? Thanks again

Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
uh, not necessarily. i had the MBRP 4" turbo back and i had some serious drone. it seems that the wheelbase changes the intensity and range of the drone. PSnut has a 142" wheelbase with a 4" TB and he has drone. i have a 172" WB and the same exhaust, and i had drone. another guy has a 172" WB and he has a 5" system and claims no drone (Tenn01). now i have 4" turbo back into 5" splitter pipe into 36" long 6" stacks and i still have drone, but not as bad, and it's shifted from 2000-2250 RPM (before) to 1750-1900 RPM (now).

it's a wierd thing to put a label on such as "this will have drone" and "this wont have drone". its one of those check and see things.

Last edited by PowerstrokeJunkie; 08-20-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Strokin' hit it right on the head. The exhaust is a crude musical instrument
that resonates with certain pressure levels (length is a factor). If u have more cab length(crew cab) and a big section of pipe is resonating under that cab(sound cavity)than here goes the drone. The Excursions can get it real bad because of all the interior sitting over that resonating pipe. Ugh!
Nut

Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
This worries me as I really like the low level of noise that I have with my stock system. Hmmmm?

Old 08-20-2006, 09:46 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rsyauto
This worries me as I really like the low level of noise that I have with my stock system. Hmmmm?
There are ways to mitigate the drone if u get it bad. It's worse when loading the engine. When i got my MBRP system with a stock tune i had really bad drone while towing my then 6k lb TT
After adding the power chip it seemed to lessen because the power band curve changed. More tolerable but still there.

Quick Reply: Chip/Exhaust/air intake/gauges...Ready to order..HELP PLEASE