1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injector 'O' ring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:55 AM
true blue
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector 'O' ring question

I read in a thread during my search about injector 'O' Rings leaking which dumps fuel into the oil. How common is this? How noticable is it if there is a problem?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not uncommon for high milage injectors to seep a little bit, but complete failures are pretty rare. You'll notice an o-ring failure by the extremely loud engine knock and the huge cloud of blue smoke.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM
true blue
Elder User

I have 200k on my truck. is this something I should do as preventative maintenance?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
yes .

Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
true blue
Elder User

Great. I look forward to doing this. How much would it cost to have the dealership do it?

Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
oh 100 in parts. about 600 in labor. do it yourself.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
true blue
Elder User

Ouch! I will certainly do this myself.

I will place the directions in here for others as well.

"These O rings aren't too bad of a deal to change.

Basically, you have to pull the valve covers off, and that requires taking loose the air intake and moving around a few wires and such, but no real big deal.

Once you get the covers off, You'll need to let the fuel and oil pressure off. To let the fuel pressure off, there are 2 plugs on the firewall side of the head. Remove these plugs with a 1/4 ratchet. They are a little tricky to reach, and you can't see them, but you can get to them with a small ratchet. Turn them until the fuel drains out.

For the oil pressure, there are 2 brass fittings in each head under the valve covers. Remove those and let the oil drain out.

Now, you are ready to pull the injectors.

First, remove the wiring harness that runs the injectors and glow plugs, then remove the bolts holding the injectors down. You'll need a nail puller to reach under the injector bracket and pop the injector out.

Be sure when you remove the injectors you keep them lined up so they go back in the same cylinder.

Once they are removed, take inventory of what you need parts wise.

You'll need 8 O ring kits for the injectors. You may need to replace the wiring harnesses for the injectors. They are relatively in expensive. I replaced mine, No reason to go back in there for that. I also replaced my valve cover gaskets and glow plugs while I was at it. I bought my parts at the Navistar dealer. They are the same as Ford's parts but about 1/3 the price.

Once you have your parts, you are ready to start putting back together.

Take and injector and an O ring kit. Remove the O rings on the injector and clean the tip with a brush and carb cleaner and carefully install the new O rings and the brass washer on the tip. Some of the older trucks have a different number of O rings than the kits. In the kits, I believe one of the rings is wider or maybe the kit has 1 more ring and it's narrower, I don't remember off the top of my head. At any rate, don't get excited over that. It's ok.

Now, re install the injectors one by one. You'll need a torque wrench. I'm not sure of the torque setting, but I'm sure they can look it up for you at the Navistar place.

Once the injectors are installed, remove all 8 glow plugs and crank the motor over a couple times. Fuel and oil will start to come out of those plugs on the heads. When it does, tighten them back up and crank a few more times. You are cranking without the glow plugs in to expel any excess oil that probably got into the cylinders when you removed the injectors.

Once the oil is expelled, put in the glow plugs, and install the wiring harnesses and valve covers. Button up the wiring on the outside and the air intake, and you are about ready to start the truck.

Change your oil before you start it. Bear in mind, it may have 16 or 17 quarts in it because you have fuel in the oil not just the 15 quarts of oil. It is important not to start the truck before changing the oil.

Once the oil is changed, it's time to start the truck. This IS NOT going to be fun. Make sure the batteries are fully charged, you will need it. You will crank and crank and crank and crank and crank some more. Finally, it will start, and it will white smoke and near about fog in the neighborhood. It will sound like it is coming apart, but just let it set there and carry on until it smooths out a bit. Once it smooths out, take off and drive it. Run it varying speeds for about 20 or 30 minutes to be sure you get the air out of the system.

That should take care of it."