Computer Chips & Tuners  

Finished Quadzilla Commander Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
chata
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished Quadzilla Commander Install

I just finished my Commander monitor install. I have a 2004 F250PSD with a Superchips tuner, 4" Banks exhaust and AFE filter. The install was pretty straight forward. Maybe a few of you recall a post I did earlier this month in regards to purchasing a Bullydog, realizing the technicians mislead me, I purchased the Quadzilla Commander. The entire install took about four hours (including painting the a-pillar mount). I am not a big advocate of using "scotch-locks" for wire connections, so I removed those and used "butt" connectors with heat shrink. The only gripe I had with the Commander is that they do not offer alternative mounts "YET". I kept Bullydog's a-pillar mount and modified it with a dremel tool. The Quadzilla has a mounting bracket that slips on to the back of the monitor. I utilized it with minor modifications. It took a little coersing for the monitor to sit nicely on the dash (considering it is almost 2" longer than the bullydog), but I feel it came out nicely. The cool thing about the Commander is that it can be used as a "stand alone" monitor, with any quadzilla tuner or you can purchase a wire loom from Quadzilla for a long list of tuners the Quadzilla will interface with. The monitor came with a USB cable for updating over the net. The Commander allows up to "4" monitored parameters at one time. I have EGT, TRANS, COOLANT & BOOST. Like most monitors you can set warnings (very big on the screen) that when reached, that particular set warning parameter, takes the whole screen over and flashes......very cool!!!!! Another cool feature is"DEFUELING" IF your tuner is interfaced with the Commander & your tuner supports the function. Anyway, thought I would share my install. If anyone needs me to post pics of the finished product, I'll try and accomodate.

Time to drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by chata; 08-15-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
toddyw
Senior User
Thanks for the post. I have purchased the Commander and will be installing it in my 04 KR. I really like the write-ups I have read about the Commander. Would you please post some pictures of your install. Everything I have read, has said that the install is very easy. I guess I am worse than you on connections, I have a tendency to soldier and heat shrink everything, but then again my connections do not come loose either.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:11 PM
chata
Junior User
There are only three connections that require connections....trans sending unit....MAP sensor....Coolant sensor. My recommendation for the coolant sensor is unplug the coolant sensor and the adjacent connector (going into the shroud area) and "pop" the harness hold down (resembles a barbed door panel rivet) and that will give you enough room to adequately splice the coolant sensor. Once your done, push the barbed rivet back into place on the t/stat housing. Route your Commander wiring smartly as to not let it rest on anything hot. It is an easy install.