Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

These GMC Suburbans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:18 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These GMC Suburbans...

While serving here in Kuwait, I am being forced to drive all GM products... I was a little put off at first, because I am a ford guy through and through. However, after being over here for 4 weeks now, I have determined that these are some incredibly tough vehicles. They are the full sized Suburban 8100. We have 4 of them for our purposes here. We mostly drive them around the small camp we live and work at, going from one side to the other moving people and supplies. The speed limit on the roads is 20kph (about 13 Mph), and we run the AC full blast every day, and often times leave the vehicle idling for hours at a time. They really are some incredible workhorses. We don't have the need to tow anything with them, but do get to take them on the highway occassionally. I load them up with ice and water to take to my guys out on the range (about 60 Kliks away from the base proper).
- I just wanted to see what you all thought of these machines.

I really miss my own truck!!! (Only 5 and a half months to go...)

Old 08-15-2006, 09:57 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always liked the Suburban, but have never owned one, because full-size vans are more practical. The fact that they are longer than most SUV's makes them just look better proportioned. Except for the '73-'91 bodystyle that rusted so badly, that is.

8.1L engine just to go 13mph and hours of idling, you get maybe 2mpg.

Jim

Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just have to remember that a vehicle built to military standards will be different than the one you find at your local dealer.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:08 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Just remember where they are though... 101Octane would be cheaper per gallon than water.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stu37d
While serving here in Kuwait, I am being forced to drive all GM products... I was a little put off at first, because I am a ford guy through and through. However, after being over here for 4 weeks now, I have determined that these are some incredibly tough vehicles. They are the full sized Suburban 8100. We have 4 of them for our purposes here. We mostly drive them around the small camp we live and work at, going from one side to the other moving people and supplies. The speed limit on the roads is 20kph (about 13 Mph), and we run the AC full blast every day, and often times leave the vehicle idling for hours at a time. They really are some incredible workhorses. We don't have the need to tow anything with them, but do get to take them on the highway occassionally. I load them up with ice and water to take to my guys out on the range (about 60 Kliks away from the base proper).
- I just wanted to see what you all thought of these machines.

I really miss my own truck!!! (Only 5 and a half months to go...)
Thank you for your service! Stay safe.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:50 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by jimandmandy

Jim
They probably would get 2mpg, but we have the opportunity to take them out on the range to deliver water and ice to the guys going through convoy training. It gives us the opportunity to get them out on the road and open them up a bit. (!20-160 K...but don't tell the boss...)

Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Electro
Junior User
They are great vehicles.. best flat land cross country vehicle in the nation..

Stay safe!! Hope gas in cheaper overthere than here.......

Old 08-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Originally Posted by osbornk
You just have to remember that a vehicle built to military standards will be different than the one you find at your local dealer.
That seems to be the case if one takes the Vehicle Dependability Study by JD Powers to heart. The stateside consumer Hummer is rated among the worst!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by Electro
Stay safe!! Hope gas in cheaper overthere than here.......
Gas really is cheap over here... in fact, it's free for us (Uncle Sam foots the bill, but we don't get to use the trucks for personal reasons, so...) We have figured out, however, that gas is about $0.90/ gallon here. It's still not worth being here. HOT ain't the word for the temps. It usually tops out around 125 (48c) 'officially' but out in the sun, it gets above 140! Funny what you can get used to.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 440 Likes on 323 Posts
I rent a lot of SUVs for work, and I have to say that I'm always pleased when I get a suburban. They have a much better ride than anything that big ought to. They cruise very nicely between 120 and 140 km/h as well. Much more fun to drive than the escape.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
socalfurnow
Senior User
thank you

look after yourself over there stu.

Glad you noticed the official 'temperature' difference from reality. Everyone gets to go home from work if it gets up enough ... but the government makes sure it is never officially hot enough.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I rent a lot of SUVs for work, and I have to say that I'm always pleased when I get a suburban. They have a much better ride than anything that big ought to. They cruise very nicely between 120 and 140 km/h as well. Much more fun to drive than the escape.
If you're renting them for work, then you are not paying to feed it. If you paid to feed it all the time, the Escape would look much better to you. I drive my Escape and my cousin watches her Suburban sit in the garage while she drives her much smaller and more economical Volvo.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:33 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 440 Likes on 323 Posts
Very true, I'm not buying the fuel. Drove an Envoy about 1000 kms on monday and tuesday. Sucked back around 130 L of gas. That same trip in my Acura would be more like 75 L.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stu, THANKS FOR SERVING. I'LL PRAY FOR YOUR SAFE RETURN. Keep letting us know how it goes in the desert.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
CA55F100
Tuned
Thanks for your service. My brother will be heading out your way in the next month or so.

As for Suburban's, I was not a Chevy guy until I started driving an 05 Silverado with the 8.1L and an Allison trans. I am in love with the truck. There is no way I could afford to drive one, but as long as the company foots the bill, I'll take it. The power and reliablity is excellent, at least in the 51,000 miles I have put on it so far.

Take care over there.

Quick Reply: These GMC Suburbans...