Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Triton v10 vs Dodge v10!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 PM
lcpln8
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triton v10 vs Dodge v10!!!

Tonight was at a red light with a dodge v10 and he obviously wanted to race so i thought i would give it a little more than ussual and the outcome was really wasnt what i was hoping for. the dodge was quite a bit faster off the line than i was i could tell that i could take him at higher speeds but off the line taht dodge was much much faster. he did have a manual trans so that had alot to do with it but it just seemed like he had alot more power than me and i thought are engine surpased that of the dodge. anyways i would never go with a dodge i think there are the biggest piece of crap. i still love my truck but now i definetly need to do something to make it quicker i cant let another v10 take me like he did i was kind of cought off guard. well just thought i would share my experience with all of you.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the specs on both trucks? Was it an SRT10? The SRT isnt the average truck V10 its out of the Viper.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:28 PM
lcpln8
Freshman User
no it was the magnum i know the hp numbers on the dodge beat the tritonsbut not by much, i think it was the manual trans that played the big role in off the line perfmance he just droped the clutch and off he went, now when i say he beat me it wasnt like a huge a** kicking but i didnt give it 100% but i know he would have still one, it just shocked me i just thought i should have been alittle faster.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Mr. G
Senior User
Probably the biggest difference is the Dodge V10 is considerably bigger and with pushrod cam timing it gets moving along at a much lower rpm. It makes 400 ft lbs at around 1000 rpm so it doesn't take a lot of math to figure out what will happen. It is too bad Dodge quit making that motor but i guess most people got scared off by the MPG. I hope Ford never quits making the V10. Hey I can dream right?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:10 AM
m350
Posting Guru
What yr is your truck,? Now if your gonna run somebody,,ya gotta go Hammer down,,he prob did,,,,,,and I have heard that while maybe a standard may take off better,,an auto should get him on the upshifts,,I would of done a brake job,,get the revs up,,and launch that sucker,,,,LOL

Old 08-14-2006, 10:24 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
The Dodge V10 is a much bigger motor, cubic-inches wise.

I would have expected exactly what happened

Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know the power numbers on the dodge v10 (magnum)? I was always under the impression that it was a slug/gas hog that was no where near the triton v10?

Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
HP isn't the biggest factor off the line, torque is. This is how it was explained to me, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are torque, 4th, and 5th is hp. With a manual, he could lauch at his peak torque, as with your auto, you have to build up to as you start moving. A larger torque converter, or a powerbrake launch would have helped. Also you lose a percentage of hp with an auto compared to a manual. With all things being =, you both having the same trannies, and gears, it should be a close race if not you on top.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
FastDEW
Senior User
I have driven the Dodge V10. It is a torque monster but runs out of breath pretty quickly. I think that it would launch harder than the Ford V10 but once the little 6.8 got revved up, the Dodge would suck pipe.

This is my impression, having driven miles on both, with autos, and 4x4 supercab vs 4x4 crew cab Ford.

Either are pretty good engines, but the Dodge is old 360 V8 technology and is an extreme pig at the gas pump.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM
lcpln8
Freshman User
thanks for the info i didnt know a hole lot obout dodge but i can understand why they launch alot harder, are trucks are still built alot better i cant stand the older dodge trucks.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:20 PM
cameon
New User
I dont much like dodge trucks either, but my cousin has a new dodge 3500 with a bully dog chip in it it will burn the pavement it has a cummings diesel

Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
My friend has a V-10 an he has yet to lose to a Dodge,Chevy or whatever. His truck looks wicked has dual exhaust an it sounds good for a V-10. I am going by what he says so maybe he has lost i dont know. He a young guy about twenty so hes made some modifications I dont know about but the thing is fast.Hes got every Calvin sticker imaginable on the truck. A bigFord logo on the back. He hates Dodges an Chevies with a passion. Hemi its whats for dinner yup hes got that sticker too. I think he has raced several off those. Hes really a nice guy but whenhes in his truck he transforms in to a wildman. Ahh to be young a agin.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM
shelters
Freshman User
I had a 99 dodge drw v10. I just purchsed a new ford 07 drw v10. They seem too feel pretty similar powerwise. The ford revs much higher, like 4-5k while the dodge seemed to have power around 3-4k. I was towing a 10,000 lb trailer yesterday i hade the cruise set to 65 and when you come to a big hill the transsmision shifts down and the moter is up around 5k. It was a little shocking at first themotor sounds like it's going to launch out of the truck. It did pull very well but i have been used to the dodge that never reved that high.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by captain p4
Anyone know the power numbers on the dodge v10 (magnum)? I was always under the impression that it was a slug/gas hog that was no where near the triton v10?
Dodge V10 was 300 hp and 450 ft lbs.

What may have made the difference;

he nailed it, you didn't.

He had 4.30-ish gears, you had 3.73's

He had stock sized tires, you had taller tires.

The torque converters have a stock stall rate around 1200-1500 rpm. His clutch can be dumped right in the fat part of his hp/tq range.

I have never been whooped by a Dog(dge). But I watch the lights carefully, and power brake so I'm at least at 1500+ rpm when I sidestep the brake pedal.

There's no redlighting in the stoplight to stoplight gran prix. If you jump him a bit so what ? Whip him once and the next time he'll dump the clutch and sit there and smoke while you wave good-bye for race win #2.

Doubtful he'll stick around to to be embarrassed for a third time. If so I would powerbrake, get the tires squealing until the light goes green, then idle out of the light while he's thrashing on the equipment.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Kamots
Junior User
Hmm i wonder what gears your running. Even with my '99 with piddly 3.73LS i tear up 2 dodge 3/4ton on a regular basis. One is auto an one hand shaker. Course i always hammer it. My truck loves it. Now dont get me wrong i, dont partake in that stuff alot, but only when needed...hehe.

T. Father of Zane

Quick Reply: Triton v10 vs Dodge v10!!!