General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Mower plastic fuel tank repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Frrt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mower plastic fuel tank repair?

I got a deal on one of those MTD mowers with the B&S engine on it but there was an ill fitting plastic panel on top of the motor that would hit the side of the fuel tank whenever i ran over a tree root....sure enuf a hairline crack has appeared which has left me with a small fuel leak (unless i keep the level below the crack and fill up often, which is frustrating!) Any suggestions on a product I could use to fill the crack? Need something nonreactive to gas obviously...I tried superglue gel for the heck of it, no luck.

thanks dudes

Old 08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
couple products, j-b weld for plastic, "plumbers goop"(a true brand name), etc available at ace, true-value. i've used both with great results

Last edited by lenny1carl; 08-07-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What to use depends on what type of plastic you have. I once tried JB weld on a polypropylene gas tank (same plastic they make squeezable heintz bottles from) and it doesn't last; the glue doesn't "bite". Now if you have ABS you will be in luck. I think what you might want to do is try a dab of ABS and PVC glue in a few inconspicuous places (no, not on the crack yet) then after it dries see if you can pick the stuff off.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
weadjust
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently fixed a crack in my muarry gas tank using jbweld. Scuff up the area of the crack with sandpaper. Clean the area real good with acetone and apply jbweld. I did this at the start of the summer and has not leaked for a couple of months.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 AM
GlennFordx4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frrt
I got a deal on one of those MTD mowers with the B&S engine on it but there was an ill fitting plastic panel on top of the motor that would hit the side of the fuel tank whenever i ran over a tree root....sure enuf a hairline crack has appeared which has left me with a small fuel leak (unless i keep the level below the crack and fill up often, which is frustrating!) Any suggestions on a product I could use to fill the crack? Need something nonreactive to gas obviously...I tried superglue gel for the heck of it, no luck.

thanks dudes
If it is under 2yrs old it is covered by warranty I have replaced a bunch of them already,they split right at the seem and leak above half full most of the time,but I have seen a few that leaked in a differant spots also just something wrong with the plastic there made from as I have not had a problem with tanks built before 03-04 code dates.If you want to PM me I can help a little more I am a Briggs warranty dealer.