flathead v8 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Tony46
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flathead v8 question

I bought a 46 parts truck and it still had the original flathead v8 in it. The motor is locked up. I tried penatrating oil and kerosen in the spark plug holes but it sill would not come free, so I pulled the heads off and one cylinder was full of lots of rust and dirt. Now to my question. Did the flathead V8 have cylinder sleaves from the factory, or do I have to bore the cyliner out to fit new sleaves? I see that Mac's anituqe atuto parts sells sleaves for the flathead V8.
Tony

Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
5 Star
Elder User
flathead v8 question

Tony46

In answer to your question about the stuck engine, and installing a sleeve.
First check to see what caused the rust problem in the first place. Then have someone measure the bore to see if it has ever been bored oversized. The engine will have to come out anyway and be hot tanked if you want to sleeve it, and if its okay no cracks etc. Have it bored and put oversize pistons in it. You may find other things that may need replaceing.
The valves may need doing, the list goes on. You may want to give consideration to either another engine that you know runs. Or a complete rebuild of the one you currently have.
Your budget will determine your decision.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Tony46
New User
5 star, From what I was told when I bought the parts truck, it had been sitting for nearly 30 years. The cylinder with all the rust was the one where the intake valve was completely open, so I guess after 30 years of being open outside air it rusted and it also looks like mud dobbers had made a nest in there. I plan on completely rebuilding this engine and using it in a future project. I already have a 5.0 out of a 92 Mustang sitting in my 46 1/2 ton frame now and I don't want to cut all that out to put this engine in it. I was just wondering if the flathead V8 had sleeves from the factory. It is hard to tell if there are sleeves just by taking the heads off. I may be able to have it bored out but there was a lot of rust and junk in that cylinder.
Tony

Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
5 Star
Elder User
Tony

They ddn't come with sleeves from the factory. The sleeves were mainly used if the rebuilder thought it was necessary to install them if the block was maybe cracked or another issue more serious.
I would say that from what you have told me it is the original bore, or standard. One thing for sure it will have to be bored out to just clean it up.

I'm sure the cylinder in which the rust is located is beyond a good honeing. So while your at it and the hot tank is the first step, then a magnaflux the second. If you have to go .030 then do it, you will need new rings pistons, probably have to turn the crank, so new bearings etc. One way or another it will have to be bored just to sleeve it.

On the dabber part, not sure what that is but assume you mean mice. That where the problem begins, if this is the case. Anyway I am sure if you take it on you will find out,best of luck.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Tony46
New User
5 STAR

Thanks for the info. BTW a mud dobber is a flying insect that looks like a wasp but is solid black an does not sting. They build tubular like nest out of mud. You may not have them in Canada. Once I get this engine out the truck I will take it apart and have checked out.
Tony