Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jag Rear End

Old 08-05-2006, 04:55 PM
wadematthews53
Freshman User
wadematthews53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jag Rear End

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a Jag rear end I came a cross one for free its out of a 1972 xj12s independent rear suspension, thought that it would make for a smooth ride? If you know of a link with info I would love to look at it...

Old 08-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Christopher2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do a search for Jaquar there are several threads about it.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Lwlandy
Senior User
Lwlandy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
HI Wade,

I am using a Jag rear in my 56. I pretty much followed the article that was published in truck builder 0ct/nov 2001. you make a frame up to replace the ugly cage and then weld that inbetween the frame rails.

I have had to modify the design slightly to give me a little more clearance as I am going with Air Ride Shockwaves, but you can see the frame and how it went in on my site. Just click the link below.

Cheers
Lee

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM
SunDown
Senior User
SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Lwlandy
HI Wade,

I am using a Jag rear in my 56. I pretty much followed the article that was published in truck builder 0ct/nov 2001. you make a frame up to replace the ugly cage and then weld that inbetween the frame rails.

I have had to modify the design slightly to give me a little more clearance as I am going with Air Ride Shockwaves, but you can see the frame and how it went in on my site. Just click the link below.

Cheers
Lee
Hi Lee
Just checking out your site on the rear suspension setup. Specifically looking at the section of frame rail between the new frame section for the jag rear. Looks like you you boxed in the frame rail at an angle, essentially making a triangle between the jag setup. I'm sure this was done for bag clearance. However are you sure that the frame will be ok welded up like that? I cant help but think you have taken a large amount of you frame rigidity and strength out by that design. Just wondering what your thoughts are is all.
I have bagged quite a few trucks in the past but never an independent rear, so this is pretty cool. The mini truck guys ( I am also one of "THOSE"---ewwww, I know) have a pretty creative way to run bags in tight spots without sacrificing frame strength. Mainly, cantilevering the indy rear, which allows you to place the bags somewhere else. And it looks sic too. Would be pretty cool to see something like that over there in the UK.
Here are some pics to further describe what I am refering to.
This is a solid axle obviously, but you get the idea. This isnt too tricky to setup and pretty basic.

This next pic is exotic. It is and air bad operated hydraulic system. Think of it as air over hydraulic. This is what happens, you inflate the airbags, the air bags push on a pair of hydraulic cylinders, the fluid displacement caused by the air bags causes the truck to lift via smaller hydro cylinders located at ea suspension point and connected to the rear axle or in your case it could be ea side of the indy suspension via a cantelever arm. The truck is going to ride real smooth, just like it was on air, because it really still is. It is just that the air bags are relocated to a diffrent part of the truck. Pretty trick stuff.....just use your imagination and keep the frame strength!!

here is where the airbags are located:

Old 08-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Lwlandy
Senior User
Lwlandy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hi Sundown,
Thanks for the feedback, the frame is plenty strong enough thanks. A Triangle is much much stronger than a square. In fact the way to make a square much stronger is to triangulate it across opposing corners to make two triangles. Think about Cranes/bridges etc. they are all made of triangles.

The section that I have triangulated is probably much stronger than the rest of the frame.

I appreciate all of the engineering in the cantilever type systems but I really want the bed of my 56 to remain looking like a bed (Nice bit of Oak). That was one of the main reasons I decided to go the way that I did. I am hoping to end up with a truck that rides real nice with air ride independent suspension all round, that looks like a classic 56 hotrod.

Cheers
Lee

Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
Wade, the April 05 issue of Street Rod Builder had a good article about mounting a Jag rear in a model A. They used some parts from TCI, and mounted it without the cage. I don't remember seeing Jag parts in my TCI catalog, but I'm sure you could call them. There was a post awhile back in the jalopy journal, also. I was going to use a jag rear on my F-1, with the cage for ease of mounting, but decided against it. Seeing my friend rebuild his jag rear, which is actually in a jag e-type (can you believe) and the parts prices scared me off. I went with an explorer rear and leaf springs, sigh. Go for it with the jag, lots of info out there, and there cool.