1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Lookin' At A '63 Unibody...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:53 AM
EffieFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin' At A '63 Unibody...

I found a '63 Custom Cab SWB Unibody that I'm already havin' visions of in a semi-gloss black and black steel wheels. It's a one owner, daily driven truck. It's been shot primer gray a few years back and unfortunately he painted over the chrome. He's asking $2000, but it needs a set of tires and it does have some surface rust.

I have a couple quick questions as most of my knowledge lies with the '65/'66 F100s and I don't know quite as much about the earlier 60s so I have a couple quick questions. I'm about to do a search here for some reading, but as I will go look at this truck soon I need some quick answers.

What's the best route for a front end swap on these trucks. I had done the disc brake swap on my old '65, so I've got a good set of disc brake I-beams I can use. Is it possible to swap the axles?

What about engine swaps? It's currently sportin' a 6 cylinder and 3 speed, is a big block swap lots of trouble? I swapped a 429 into my '78 Bronco and while that is touted as being a drop in, easy swap, it was indeed not and we had run into a few unexpected problems.

In searching I read something about wheel cylinders for the brakes being hard to come by, should this change my mind about this truck?

I guess what I'm really gettin' at... Should I wait to find my dream '65, or grab up this Uni while I can...even if it proves to be difficult to restore? My brother says I should wait for a '65, because I've already got a stash of spare parts, but the ONLY thing that I would take over a '65 would be a unibody. Mmm shortbed unibodies.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
EF, He is probably asking $1500.00 too much for the truck. Unless you have an itch for a Uni, and some guys do, pass on it.

John

Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 AM
EffieFord
Senior User
I've always thought unibodies were cool. But I may feel differently when I'm standing there lookin' this one over.

I told him I couldn't swing the 2 grand if I had to put tires on it and he said he may be able to work with me a little but "from what I've seen on the 'net and ebay, it's a fair price." Granted their rare, but this one is primer and rust and the chrome is painted over.

So I dunno, I wanna get it but on the other hand, if the earlier 60s are a lot of work to fix and repair it may be more trouble than it's worth and in the end I'd be happier with another '65, maybe with a 390 and 4 speed. heh

Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The primer may actually have protected the chrom and it will need polish and repair anyway! Front end is solid axle and while disk conversion are available they are very expensive. Steering column and box are all one piece and sit slightly offset to the right. This will drive you nuts after a while. Any engine will fit any truck but this one has two stock options the six that is in there now, a 292 or 312 OHV. But with adapters you can install any engine you like. 2K for a one owner rust free short wheel base Uni is fair. Especially if it is the big window version. I am in Powder Springs and I'd like to see this truck.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
EffieFord
Senior User
That's the only thing, it's not a big window...or I'd be out there looking at it right now, heh.

I don't want to divulge the truck's location until I look at it for myself...I'm selfish that way. Heh. I'll go check it out, take more pics and if I'm not gonna get it, I'll send the info your way, William.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:34 PM
desertwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by jowilker
EF, He is probably asking $1500.00 too much for the truck. Unless you have an itch for a Uni, and some guys do, pass on it.

John
Maybe I need to start shopping in NC. I just spent $900 for a barely running 64 and $550 for a donor truck for it... not Unis either! I thought I got pretty good deals! It's all in what it's worth to the buyer!

Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OKAY! Fair enough. Short wheel base trucks are worth more than long and F100's are worth more than F250's in the fix it up hot rod market. If this truck is a small, long F250 it would need to be very nice for 2K. Look for the tail gate these are hard to come by in original condition.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:53 PM
EffieFord
Senior User
The more I read and find out, the more I'm leanin' towards not gettin' the 63. I think for my resources and abilities, to make the truck decent and driveable I'd be better off with a '65.

BUT I'm still gonna go look at it, maybe drive it and see what that solid axle feels like on the road and how bad it is with manual steering and brakes. I learned how to drive in my '65 with manual steering and brakes, but I'm gettin' lazy in my old age.