1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

75 Mark V w/460 and C6 - should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 07:04 PM
utvol1984
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys... I was at the junkyard today and one of the fellas there told me about an old lady who's got a 75 (he thought) Lincoln Mark V with a 460 (he thought) that she had told him she needed to get rid of and would sell for $500. He said she still starts it periodically so I assume its running. If this car does have the 460 and C6 I'm thinking it would be a perfect donor car for my 61 Unibody. Four questions:

1) do you guys agree that it would be a great choice for my project?

2) if it is in fact a 460, what kind of HP could I reasonably expect to achieve with a careful rebuild, cam, Edelbrock performer, big carb, headers and ported stock heads?

3) what else should I grab off the car? steering column? front power seats (white leather)? (I have a 9" rear in my truck already with 3.90 gears so I don't need a rear end)

4) am I going to be winding the 460 up pretty far when I'm cruising down the Interstate with the C6? (I don't care all that much about mileage on this project)

Thanks SO much in advance all - this is a super forum and I appreciate your valuable advice.

Kris
Augusta, GA

Old 11-04-2002, 07:08 PM
utvol1984
Senior User

Forgot to mention that the junkyard guy said he'd go get the car, bring it to his shop, pull the engine and tranny for me, load it into my truck - all for FREE if I gave him the rest of the car... sound like a fair deal?

Kris

Old 11-05-2002, 07:38 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had the acerage and the cash I buy it drive it home strip it and then call your junkyard buddy. I think 75 is too late for a 429 but it may have the coveted DOVE heads (big valves open chambers) it may also have rear discs or a limited slip. I've never been uncomfortable sitting in a lincoln seat either. Good luck Rich.

Old 11-05-2002, 06:47 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kris: Here is what you will run into with your modifications:
1. Your '61 isn't designed for that large or heavy of an engine. You'll need to:
a. Replace the brakes with a stronger system;
b. Purchase or fabricate the engine mounting system (not just the mounts, but the whole crossmember);
c. Improve the front suspension;
d. Improve engine cooling by replacing the radiator.

a. Fabricate the mount for the transmission;
b. Purchase or fabricate the shift system if you don't use a column shifter;
c. Re-configure the driveline.

If you use a column shifter from a later year truck, you will need to
convert to power steering because of the rarity of finding power steering columns with manual steering boxes; the lengths aren't the same.

If you have the time and the money, your truck would be really great with all those modifications.
I think, though, and this is just my thought, you would be better off to fix yours to nice running condition and sell it, then buy a 65 or 66 (or any 65 to 79, for that matter!) and put that engine setup in it. That 460 is really better suited to the later trucks.
Since I'm local to your area, I'll also be glad to help out if I can, no matter what way you decide to go.
What do the other posters here think about my opinion?
There is wisdom in a multitude of councillors.

Old 11-06-2002, 08:04 AM
utvol1984
Senior User

John, first of all thank you so much for the detailed and thorough reply. Everything you mentioned is very important and tracks with what I've been thinking. I was trying to minimize my original post so I didn't mention that I intend to install an entirely new front suspension - either a Mustang II kit or the new Dodge Dakota kit from Industrial Chassis in Phoenix. I was definitely planning on boxing the frame at least up to the firewall, rack and pinion power steering, front disk brakes and of course a trans cross member for the C6. The IFS kit would give me my engine mounts. I understand what you're saying about finding a later model truck for this project and ordinarily I would do just that. As it happens this particular truck belonged to my Grampa - he bought it new in 1961 in New Mexico and it has been in my family for almost 43 years. I really can't part with it but I know I won't be happy with it put-putting around with the 223 either. I was thinking I might use the steering column from the Lincoln in my truck, that would give me tilt, cruise, colum shift and turn signal indicators. I'm thinking the stock 9" rear with 3.90 gears will handle anything the 460 throws at it. I'm also thinking the power seats in the Lincoln would be great in my truck - they're white leather - same color as my truck. Anyway does my thinking make sense? I have no illusions about what I'm biting off here - this will be a huge and expensive project. Just getting the body off the frame will be very hard since the bed and cab don't separate. Please critique my thinking wherever it sounds off base or over simplified. Thanks again John - and everyone else. I don't think this Lincoln is going anywhere soon but I don't want to miss a great opportunity either.

Kris in Augusta GA

Old 11-06-2002, 09:08 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kris: It sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight, that's for sure.
However.
But.
If that truck has been in your family, I would keep it, and keep it stock. The other option is to make reversible or stock-type modifications, such as power steering, etc. That is, if the truck looks and runs good now. If it is a dog, a really bad one, then maybe your mods won't be as destructive to the overall life of the truck.
It will only become more precious (different than valuable) in it's original state when YOUR grandkids come along. Twenty years from now, when you think back twenty years, you'll be glad you kept it stock, or nearly so.
I still think you ought to grab that Lincoln, but put it in a 65 or 66 or even later truck with problems, such as no motor or trans, or other fixable problems.
I regret the non-reversable modifications I made on my '66, which I've had for more than 20 years.
Just my opinion, really.
Also, since you're local, I am looking for a '73 to '76 truck, with FE, auto, and power steering to transplant into my '66. Blown engine, tranny etc is OK, I just need the parts. If you find one, especially with your boneyard friends, would you let me know?
banjopicker66(No Email Addresses In Posts!) is my address.
Good luck on your 61, though, whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:39 AM
Brock_7
Freshman User